• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 RT Need For Valve Adjustment

Ridefar

What is the "real world" mileage interval when this engine actually requires the valves to be adjusted? I am at 12,000 miles and using the Wurth feeler gauges, I get a very uniform "feel" on all points when doing a proper check, as I did at 6,000 miles. What are others experiences in this matter and if found to be out of spec, can you notice any performance difference after setting to spec? May as well throw out the same question regarding throttle body sync. Thanks so much to all!

No two machines are exactly alike but normally if valves are set carefully at 6K, you wouldn't have to readjust them for very long time. The factory 6K interval is TO INSPECT, not to automatically adjust something.
Same for synch- should only need a go if you do the valves then do it after doing the valves.

I have touched up mine at about 18K intervals hough I inspect more often, making very small changes to only a couple each time I adjust. I prefer go/no-go gauges to the Wurth versions. At no time did anything get even remotely close to out of spec.

The important point remains that they should be checked every 6k miles. Then, do what's needed.

If you adjust them, throttle synch is in the cards, no valve adjustment not so much.

It doesn't matter what you "feel" after a valve adjustment, what matters is if adjustment is needed you should do it to protect the parts.

As stated above, the check is what is important. They may normally only move a little, and it is not a performance issue, but if an exhaust valve goes too tight and you don't correct it, that can ruin your valve and cylinder head.

I'll disagree with Kent a bit - if you adjust them (the valves) correctly, chances are your throttle-body sync will not be needed.

Mine finally needed a tiny touchup to the TB sync - at 72,000 miles. I checked the sync at 6k intervals after checking the valves (which often went 18,000 miles between needing tiny touchups) - and it was always dead-nutz on.. BMW seems to have finally gotten the cables sorted out so they don't drift out of sync.

Last edited:
High mileage exception

Same-same here; I used to check mine every 6000 and felt like I was over servicing, let it go this last time and at about 12000 miles and one year of riding, they went way out. As the motor accumulates miles, I'm in the 80,000's now, I suspect that 6000 mile interval becomes a more relevant inspection.
Paul Glaves would probably weigh in more definitively.

Since I have the plastic valve cover protectors, theoretically (and for me actually) lots of bodywork has to come off to get the protectors off so the valve covers can come off. Since I thought this would be expensive at my dealership and since I thought it would likely be just check and not adjust, I did it myself at 6k miles.

When I took it in for the brake fluid change part of this service (and to be rid of BT-21s), service mgr said since clearances were not changed and I verified motor was running great, they didn't need to check synch.

It's good to read that actually adjusting clearances may not make re-synch necessary in all instances.

I was, however, under the impression that there's an electronic aspect to throttle synch, i.e. it's not just cables.

There is an electronic aspect to throttle synch. However, it simply to recalibrate the idle actuators - which you bike is normally doing every time you restart it. Once the valves are done, if the bike is idling properly - you're usually done. As I'm sure you already know, you have several ways to check the TBs - manometers, Twinmax etc if you think they're out of sync a smidge.

Bottom line is pretty simple though. If the TBs were sysnc'd during a tune - it's always done after the valves are properly adjusted. Unless something unusual happens, the TBs hang in there pretty solid. Mine we last balanced at 30,001 miles - currently something like 98,000 miles on it now - still doing just fine.

As the motor accumulates miles, I'm in the 80,000's now, I suspect that 6000 mile interval becomes a more relevant inspection.

My experience is the exact opposite! I'm at 70k miles now on an R12RT 2005.

I checked (and made slight adjustments) at 6k intervals. After about 30k miles, I found it was not changing, and I went to once a year (12k miles). I've adjusted them once from 30 to 70k, and that was only because I was being ULTRA finicky. So, as my engine puts on miles, it has bedded in and stabilized quite nicely.

I've not gone beyond a 12k check since it is so easy to do and I have the bike torn apart every year for a final drive fluid change, air filter, and ABS flush anyway.

I check the throttle sync every 12k miles, but I can't recall the last time I needed to adjust it.

The engine has been pretty rock solid: fluids, brakes, belt, spark plugs, done.

Same-same here; I used to check mine every 6000 and felt like I was over servicing, let it go this last time and at about 12000 miles and one year of riding, they went way out. As the motor accumulates miles, I'm in the 80,000's now, I suspect that 6000 mile interval becomes a more relevant inspection.
Paul Glaves would probably weigh in more definitively.

I simply waant to point out for the analytical, that wear patterns on this valve train is offsetting. As wear may occur on the cams and/or followers the gap will increase. As wear or deformation may occur on the valve heads and seats the gap will decrease. So for many, many miles wear may be occuring but as the wear offsets the gaps will change very little. But at some point one point of wear - valves and seats usually - will increase more rapidly and gap changes begin to occur more rapidly. At the point that significant adjustment is needed several times in a row at 6K intervals it is time to remove things for a look-see and freshening probably. I can't predict a mileage. There are too many variables. I've seen Oilheads go 300K miles. I've seen classic K bikes go almost 400K miles. But I've also seen headwork needed at 80K miles.

Overheating matters. Fuel quality matters. Oil choice matters. And sometimes crap just happens.

Back