• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

why I like aerostitch,

How does Stadler compare to Rukka?

I've been to some of the large motorcycle gear outlets in Germany where they carry multi lines, so I got to see the products. I prefer the Stadler. Their line is broad, so it matters what you are comparing. I was looking at the upper end gear. I hope to visit their plant next summer. I already punched in their coordinates.

As for how they perform, whenever I get the chance I talk to owners when stopped on the passes. I also ask how long they've had them when asking about how waterproof they are. Gear might perform well in the first year or two...who cares...how does it perform in the fifth or tenth year? But you know how it is, owners have a tough time admitting to faults in anything they own.

Last edited:

Don't know about yours, but my 'stich has almost 200,000 miles on it, been down hard once (subsequently repaired) and among those miles are literally dozens of day-long frog stranglers ... I have never had a single spot of dampness on any clothing under the 'stich. My riding buddy's 'stich is a similar age and similar condition and he, like me, has never had a drop of moisture inside the suit. However, I do treat the suit each year with Nikwax cleaning and re-waterproofing.

Does not matter whether you believe me or not, but there are likely many on this forum with similar testimonials about 'stich products. They work (fact) and they are worth every penny they cost (opinion).

He didn't say yours was. :hug

So what you are saying there is no consistency in production?

After 22 years of using one, I'd know. They are sort of waterproof for a half hour and then it also depends on the intensity of the rain. Zippers leak...period!

Try 4 hours in a heavy downpour. Anyone who tells me they are dry in the crotch or chest is full of you know what.

Been over four hours in driving rain no problem you don't have to believe me but you don't have to attack folks who's stuff works.

So what you are saying there is no consistency in production?

After 22 years of using one, I'd know. They are sort of waterproof for a half hour and then it also depends on the intensity of the rain. Zippers leak...period!

Try 4 hours in a heavy downpour. Anyone who tells me they are dry in the crotch or chest is full of you know what.

No, I was just trying to make a lighthearted comment regarding your assertion that others, who claim their Stich suits don't leak, are lying.

YMMV

Or maybe they are a little more observant. :dunno

Sit on your bike wearing a roadcrafter suit. Look down. What do you see? Many (most?) will find a little pocket formed by the bunched material around the crotch. The pocket is made up of waterproof material, but... there is velcro and a zipper at the bottom. Neither Velcro nor the zipper are waterproof. :deal Any water caught int the pocket will leak through the velcro/zipper and give you the infamous 'crafter crotch.

If you grab the loose material and adjust it such that there is no pocket to catch water the roadcrafter will not leak. That does assume that at some time you've applied sealer to the full length of the zipper tape. It is a pain, though, as moving around on the bike is likely to lead to the re-formation of the pocket. For that reason I prefer a Darien for long rides. My roadcrafter suit is used for running errands and other shortish rides.

Last edited:
If you grab the loose material and adjust it such that there is no pocket to catch water the roadcrafter will not leak.

My experience as well. I just reach under the jacket and give the waistline a tug up, no wet crotch. I do however get wet underarms if I forget to close the vents. I also have found a good wash then hanging it outside on a tree branch to fully dry and then liberally applying heavy duty Scotchguard works better than Nikwax.

I know Aerostich changed their zippers a year or two ago, supposedly to prevent the crotch leakage problem.

Anyone able to compare old vs. new?

The new zippers will keep water out longer than the old zippers. That said, if the zipper and velcro are at the bottom of a pocket full of water the only difference is how long it takes for the water to leak through. The new zippers won't prevent crotch leak, it may slow it down.

In all my years (15) and miles (approx. 200,000) of riding in an Aerostich suit, I have never had a wet crotch area. Might be because I have always, by reflex and without thinking about it, adjusted the suit every time I climb onto the bike so that there is nowhere for water to puddle in my lap area. I am sure that the zippers are a "weak spot" in any riding suit, but from personal experience they are not a problem for me. Guess I have been lucky.

Oil threads, tire pressure threads, stich leak threads.....I tell myself each time I'm not going to post a reply...Oh well

I have the 2 piece Roadcrafter, some say they have less of a wet crotch issue, I would not know, never had a one piece.

I can say this, and my riding buddy who loves Darian will back me up, on our last run up to the Pacific North wet we hit 500+ miles of the most epic rain we have ever seen, blinding, nasty unrelenting. Me in my two piece Roadcrafter and him in his Darian jacket and pants and neither one of us had any water or dampness inside our gear:thumb We were both on unfaired bikes, his R1200R and my R1100S

I can say this, and my riding buddy who loves Darian will back me up, on our last run up to the Pacific North wet we hit 500+ miles of the most epic rain we have ever seen, blinding, nasty unrelenting. Me in my two piece Roadcrafter and him in his Darian jacket and pants and neither one of us had any water or dampness inside our gear:thumb We were both on unfaired bikes, his R1200R and my R1100S

Exactly right, I was totally dry the whole way...except for that one little time when I blooped the sleeve/glove interface. :D

I like aerostitch because they stand behind their products,my older bumpershoot umbrella has been replaced with no questions asked,some of their products change for a better supplyer,my s s coffee press still kicks but over 15 years later.I was there today,very nice folks to deal with ! now I can open a brew with my belt buckle.I can spend way to much time hangin out there.:hug

Bet that buckle is for emergency use only- surely you keg your own...(I own 3 of them, you can never tell when you'll have an emergency and at my age the teeth aren't a great substitute)

I used my 1 piece Roadcrafter for commuting on my RT for a few years before I retired (easy on/off over business clothes)- about a 20 min run each way- and it never leaked. I prefer 2 piece for long runs so I've never used it in an all day frog choker but it never leaked in commuting use. But that's pretty light duty compared to being tossed around on off road excursions for a bunch of years- it got hung in my air conditioned office or my bedroom closet when not in use, not draped for many hours in the sun over the bars of the bike as happens to gear used on tours.

Back