• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

why I like aerostitch,

wwalton

I live in South FL and my one-piece roadcrafter is still a bit hot so I wanted some pants, besides jeans, to wear with my perforated vanson jacket. I tried to order some aerostitch utility pants but they were on backorder so early this morning I emailed them to ask about availability ... quick answer

"Hi, Bill this is Cameron here at Aerostich in Duluth. I know we have a few pairs in stock right now. I think we're planning on making quite a few in preparation for spring. We haven't produced many recently because we have been so swamped in Roadcrafter orders and repairs. If you're interested, we will make a pair for you. "
great service IMO

In addition, I crashed a few years ago and my suit saved me a bunch of hurt and was repaired to remarkably good condition. Sorry to say it shrunk over the intervening period and I had to get a new larger one.

I live in South FL and my one-piece roadcrafter is still a bit hot so I wanted some pants, besides jeans, to wear with my perforated vanson jacket. I tried to order some aerostitch utility pants but they were on backorder so early this morning I emailed them to ask about availability ... quick answer

"Hi, Bill this is Cameron here at Aerostich in Duluth. I know we have a few pairs in stock right now. I think we're planning on making quite a few in preparation for spring. We haven't produced many recently because we have been so swamped in Roadcrafter orders and repairs. If you're interested, we will make a pair for you. "
great service IMO

In addition, I crashed a few years ago and my suit saved me a bunch of hurt and was repaired to remarkably good condition. Sorry to say it shrunk over the intervening period and I had to get a new larger one.

:blush At the prices they charge!...they better give good service:p

:blush At the prices they charge!...they better give good service:p

I would venture that when compared to other suits of comparable quality, durability, and longevity their prices are not out of line at all.

Sure, I can buy (and have bought) cheaper jackets and pants. But I can get many years and over 100K miles on a Roadcrafter two-piece and a slight fraction of that out of the cheaper stuff. When I look in the closet and reach for riding gear I almost always grap the Stich.

I have always gotten what I paid for. Now more than ever, quality costs but is often worth it.

I rode to Aerostich HQ last summer with the intention of buying a Darien, but the Falstaff fit and felt better. I really like my Falstaff jacket. It's only got a few thousand miles on it now, but I'm confident it will be the perfect three-season jacket for me, even here in the pacific northwest.

Buying it off the rack in Duluth was a little odd though as the salesperson had to check to see if they could sell it to me. :confused: Huh? I mean, it had a price tag on it, and it didn't say "Fitting / Demo / Sample" or anything like that. Anyway they did and they shipped the jacket I arrived with back home for me free of charge. :)

I like buying stuff made here in the States, and fyi Minnesota does not charge sales tax on clothing.

Got one of their messenger bags for my kid too and it's really well made.

+1 on Aerostich and buying "made in USA". I've gotten every dollar's worth out of my Roadcrafter 2-pc suit. Still, I kinda wish Andy would do a major update on it, like improved ventilation.

pete

+1 on Aerostich and buying "made in USA". I've gotten every dollar's worth out of my Roadcrafter 2-pc suit. Still, I kinda wish Andy would do a major update on it, like improved ventilation.

pete

:) Since we all ride BMW's do we really want to open that buy American can'O worms...? :wave

Years ago...like many years..I bought a Tour-Rider brand, two piece cold weather suit. Bibs / shirt length Jacket. It was one of those that lit-up when in direct light, headlights,etc. It is extremely warm and has worn well for 20-25+ years until it suffered abdominal shrinkage :scratch darn-dest thing I ever did see. :)

Wish it still fit :banghead and wish they were still in biz. As far as I know they are not. They actually catered to the Snowmobile set.

A lot of their stuff is now made outside the US and long backorders are becoming commonplace. Hope they're smarter than Gerbings about managing an overseas supply chain- its not a good hobby or for novices and can sink a small business overly dependent on such.

When I was there in July they told me the leather jackets were made in Asia.

If you look on their website it's easy to tell which stuff is made in the states.

usa.JPG

I would venture that when compared to other suits of comparable quality, durability, and longevity their prices are not out of line at all.

True. My next suit will likely cost twice as much but it'll be light years ahead in features and quality over the Aerostich which is long in the tooth in a major way. I've said so many times, that suit needs a major makeover...in fact a whole new design. I'm on my second Aerostich since first buying one in 1992; it'll be my last.

True. My next suit will likely cost twice as much but it'll be light years ahead in features and quality over the Aerostich which is long in the tooth in a major way. I've said so many times, that suit needs a major makeover...in fact a whole new design. I'm on my second Aerostich since first buying one in 1992; it'll be my last.

This is what I don't understand...two suits in 21 years ? @ the cost they charge ? Too me that is not quality. My original suit [Tour-Rider] is still perfect! I bought it in 1981-82? . This is when i was younger & riding everyday to work, traveled every chance I got, etc. I can't imagine how many miles it has on it, in all sorts of bad weather. The only problem with the suit now is me...I out grew it :brow

So, Alex, I've only used Aerostitch myself and I quite like the gear (and the service). I've noticed several times that you feel that the design is outdated. What would you change in the design?

My 1986 suit I bought second-hand in 1993 is still going strong. I replaced the pads last year and it could sure use some zipper repair and velcro replacement, but it just won't quit. I was wearing a new one I won at the '98 GMR when I wrecked in '99, was very pleased with how it performed (it didn't survive, but I did.)

This is what I don't understand...two suits in 21 years ? @ the cost they charge ? To me that is not quality.

Let me clarify.

My first suit that I bought in 1992 and retired in 2004 is still perfectly usable. All that it needs are some new Velcro strips sewn onto the jacket flap that covers the zipper. The red color has faded which is mostly due to the sun (they all fade) and a wash or two every year. I plan to sew on some new Velcro (I have a nice Pfaff sewing machine) and use the suit for some off-road tours since it has seen more use.

I only bought my second suit because I could and didn't have the time to take care of the simple repairs. It is still going strong despite being in an accident (I got hit while stopped) that wrote off my R1150 GS Adventure.

So, Alex, I've only used Aerostitch myself and I quite like the gear (and the service). I've noticed several times that you feel that the design is outdated. What would you change in the design?

For starters, I do not want to cart a rainsuit along on my multi-week tours anymore. I know the suit is not claimed to be waterproof and I accepted that for a long time, but no more. I am not interested in the Darien suit. It is supposedly waterproof, but lacks many other features.

Even protection is not what it can or should be.

I will be looking at a Stadler which I will likely pick up in Germany next year.

My roadcrafter is waterproof I wore it through the begining of a hurricane to get out of Fla. once, survived 3 days of rain in Nova Scotia, and 2 days of downpours in the Alps with no problems plus regular rains and the Georgia Mountain Rally this year. It has been as dry as all the rain suits I've had Frog Toggs, BMW, and others.

For starters, I do not want to cart a rainsuit along on my multi-week tours anymore. I know the suit is not claimed to be waterproof and I accepted that for a long time, but no more. I am not interested in the Darien suit. It is supposedly waterproof, but lacks many other features.

Even protection is not what it can or should be.

I will be looking at a Stadler which I will likely pick up in Germany next year.

The reason above- not having to carry a rain suit is exactly why I am stepping up to Rukka gear.
Hey, out of curiosity,
how does Stadler compare to Rukka?

Back