• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1997 R1100RT, 60K Miles, Harsh 1-2 Upshift, 2nd comes out of gear, once and awhile.

About seven years ago I saw a rash of skipping transmissions (nearly all were M94s skipping in 3rd) and now I'm seeing it again but they are M97s skipping in 2nd. This is simply the situation: these transmissions aren't the best. The M97 in my wife's GS sounds like a Mack truck but has covered 150k miles without being opened, but there are plenty of them that aren't that lucky. The input shafts deteriorate and the gear dogs - even though they are undercut - start to go.

The fix is not cheap. $650+ for repaired gears alone plus a fork, maybe a drum, seals, time, maybe some bearings, maybe an input shaft repair.... you're over $1k and possibly approaching $2k. And that's with the transmission out of the bike.

Believe me, I'd rather make my money on oil changes than on expensive problems that owners shouldn't need to pay for (like stripped splines and transmission rebuilds at 50k miles).

I hear you.

About seven years ago I saw a rash of skipping transmissions (nearly all were M94s skipping in 3rd) and now I'm seeing it again but they are M97s skipping in 2nd. This is simply the situation: these transmissions aren't the best. The M97 in my wife's GS sounds like a Mack truck but has covered 150k miles without being opened, but there are plenty of them that aren't that lucky. The input shafts deteriorate and the gear dogs - even though they are undercut - start to go.

The fix is not cheap. $650+ for repaired gears alone plus a fork, maybe a drum, seals, time, maybe some bearings, maybe an input shaft repair.... you're over $1k and possibly approaching $2k. And that's with the transmission out of the bike.

Believe me, I'd rather make my money on oil changes than on expensive problems that owners shouldn't need to pay for (like stripped splines and transmission rebuilds at 50k miles).

Mack truck transmissions were pretty damn good, some of their engines, not so much.

The weigh from you is very much appreciated as you seem to share your knowledge with ease. Sometimes, that's tough to do.

I got the bike from a guy in 12 boxes with blown engine. It runs pretty good considering it isn't a diesel engine and rebuilding tranny's is one of the skills I'm pretty good at. I'm looking forward to the challenge and learning something way out of my league, so to speak. I doubt I will need a 50 ton press to remove/install gears/bearings. Then again, if I do need one, there is one in here somewhere........

Back