• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Air intake noise, C650GT

On The Road Again
Have the later editions of the scooters addressed the air intake noise? My GS is ever so much quieter.

OK I'll bite, what noise, we have a early production model intake is silent, exhaust sounds like a lawnmower though. Any concerns remove right side plastic and make sure air filter IS installed!

Filter is in place. Also have checked to see that the air intake track is complete and in place.
I have a five minute 8% grade, at 35 to 40 miles per hour grade that puts a load on the engine. Sounds not unlike a Ducati that I had with an open air box.
Yes, ear plugs work, but for around town that is a PITN.

What makes you think it's an intake noise and not just the tractor-like noise they all make? :)

Have you compared it to other C650s and heard a difference?

Have you noticed what RPM range the noise occurs, CVT trans may be shifting down, engine working harder.
I have had my wife's 650 up to some pretty crazy speeds, didn't notice any intake noise, lots of wind noise though at 105 mph

I'll just chalk it up to the "tractor like noise" that has been mentioned in several articles. Was hoping that there would be a fix. Guess I'll wait for the electric version.

I'll just chalk it up to the "tractor like noise" that has been mentioned in several articles. Was hoping that there would be a fix. Guess I'll wait for the electric version.

Haha, OK. The best thing would be to compare it to other C650s and then you'll know if there's something amiss or just BMW's engineering.

I kinda think your hearing the outboard motor sound. If your in SOCAL you we can compare the sound between bikes
Drilled the exhaust out on my 1600, sure sounds better, tempted to try it out on brides 650, what a lame sound, not willing to spend big bucks on the after market exhaust

Outboard motor, yes you are correct. Had an eighteen hp Johnson, water-ski and all. Great times.
I road the demo, probably a first edition as well, much the same noise.
My 8% hill and speed is the perfect combination for the excessive noise.
I'll go around the back way a little quieter, if longer.

Back