• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I watched The Youtube Video of the NY Motorcycle Gang

cookie

Jeff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEttGEZQxUI
In case you have not seen it you should be able to clink on the link.
My wife and I ride the 08RT when we have time. She asked me what I thought of the incident in New York?
I had not heard of it. Without the benefit of review or explanation she asked me to watch it and asked me what I thought and who was at fault.
I responded immediately, Oh I know who's fault it is. She waited for my answer..The person driving the SUV was scared to death and was attempting to get away. I understand the driver had his wife and one year old child in the car. She asked me what I would have done in that same situation? Where were the police? That video went on for over six minutes with dozens if not hundreds of witnesses, I would have assumed a police presents would have been seen at some point with all the cell phones.
The kids riding the motorcycles were way out of control in my opinion.
I feel for the family of the individual that was injured but come-on. Those kids have to take some responsibility for their aggressive behavior.
The news version was just a few seconds. The driver was scared to death in fear of his and his families safety.
Some of us have a concealed weapons permit. Would that have helped or hindered this situation?
What would you have done?

A concealed weapons permit would have done nothing, cards like that can be used to scrape windshields in a pinch but are not effective violence deterrents.

Seriously.
I would have stayed far away from the whole thing and called 911.

IBTL

Those were not Kid's they were Adults acting as a mob there were policemen among them.

Surprised it took so long for a thread to appear on this forum.

Reportedly there were several off duty or undercover LEO's on the scene.

Driver reportedly feared for the safety of his family, as would any of us.

I doubt he will be charged with a crime. I'm sure he will be sued in civil actions.

Damn shame. Needless tragedy because a bunch of idiot "stunt riders" think they can do whatever they want on the public road, or in their case the sidewalks as well, and don't give a darn about anyone else.

There is NO EXCUSE for stunt riding on public roads.

I'm still not sure what started all this. Whatever it was doesn't justify what happened, but who initiated all this? Was it the cyclist slowing in front of the SUV or was their something before that? You'd think the SUV driver would have had his wife on the phone to 911 or one of the many cell phone holding witnesses along the way would have called it in. Road rage is a path to no where.

His wife made 4 calls to 911 it was reported police were trying to respond to her distress calls.

I doubt he will be charged with a crime. I'm sure he will be sued in civil actions.

Damn shame. Needless tragedy because a bunch of idiot "stunt riders" think they can do whatever they want on the public road, or in their case the sidewalks as well, and don't give a darn about anyone else.

+1

I'm still not sure what started all this. Whatever it was doesn't justify what happened, but who initiated all this? Was it the cyclist slowing in front of the SUV or was their something before that? . Road rage is a path to no where.

Dan hit it on the nail. This is exactly how I still feel about the whole thing. If you watch the video close, you will see that the rider who slowed down and caused the original incident, rode close to the SUV driver window and had an exchange with him. Then he turned in fron of him and slowed down. Something happened before that, which set the whole thing off. The MC rider doesn't admit to that, becasue he would admit to doing what he did on purpose.

But having been riding with groups for many years, I have plenty of experience how some car drivers react around motorcycle groups. they pass on the right and when they can't get by, they cut in, right in the middle of the group.

It all boils down to that question: What incident starts road rage? Somebody making a stupid move on purpose. Somebody else honking the horn because of it. The first person giving a finger. The second person doing something radical.
What is the first case of road rage?

His wife made 4 calls to 911 it was reported police were trying to respond to her distress calls.

I had not read that...thanks. It is a shame, plus appears there were police on the ride, in civilian clothes, who didn't want to act or say they didn't know what was happening. Group mentality road rage. Perhaps there's no place in New York where this "gang" can all ride together and not create on road difficulties like this. New York apparently needs a Baja 1000 area....or may be it's the effects of large (over 24 oz) sugary soft drinks?

Well said.

Some of us have a concealed weapons permit. Would that have helped or hindered this situation?
What would you have done?
First, Let's try to remember these guys on bikes are COMPLETELY disregarding a lot of laws and showing their behinds in a group that is clearly enabling others under peer pressure. I'm a firearms instructor - the VERY last thing I would do is attempt to use - or encourage anyone else to attempt to use a firearm of any kind against a group like this.

1) how much ammo do you have? that's an army out there - and they're already hyped up.
2) how could you possibly think none of the riders have guns?
3) are you willing to risk death - instead of the *possibility* you'll get beat up and live another day.

So - what would I have done? I would have done almost exactly what the Rover driver did. The exceptions are:

1) called 911 and NEVER hung up.
2) I would never have exited the freeway he was on.

Yes, I know his tires were damaged - however, he may have had to slow down some but he should have never put himself in a situation where he had to stop as long as the SUV would move.

Having said all that, we're trying to second guess a situation we don't have first hand knowledge of. In cases like this, we can form a personal opinion but nothing more. I do know one thing - had that been me, and I acted exactly as the driver did - once the window was broken out - I would have used every round of ammo I had before they killed me. IMO, there are times and places where survival has to come first, the law - which in this case did nothing to protect him - comes last.

What happened to the driver and family after the window was broken?

What was the final outcome for the driver/family? Did anyone get arrested?

Answered my own questions, well at 30 Sep anyway....

11:59PM BST 30 Sep 2013

The moment a Range Rover driver became embroiled in a terrifying chase through the streets of New York with a gang of motorcyclists has gone viral.

Footage of a terrifying road rage incident involving a gang of bikers in Manhattan has gone viral after it was posted online on Monday.
The New York City Police Department said a man driving a Range Rover with his wife and two-year-old daughter inside, struck a motorcyclist on Manhattan's West Side Highway on Sunday, breaking his leg.
According to police, the SUV driver pulled over, but then drove off after his car was attacked by the gang, hitting three more motorcyclists in his attempt to flee.
Video of the incident, captured by one of the bikers on a helmet-mounted camera, shows the car being chased through New York, eventually being brought to a halt in the city centre. The video abruptly ends as one of the gang attempts to smash the car window with a helmet.
According to police, the SUV driver had to be treated at a local hospital for slashes to his face. His wife and child were not injured, and his name has not been released. No arrests have been made.

Hindsight is 20/20. This guy didn't know he'd be surrounded by these bikers. Looked to me that the first guy that got hit just released his throttle completely and hit the Range Rover. The bikers should have taken down his licence and called the cops.
The worst thing to do is confront someone in this wacky world full of angry people. It's difficult to walk away, but you're more likely to live.
Just ask Trayvon Martin.

1) called 911 and NEVER hung up.
2) I would never have exited the freeway he was on.

This freeway runs out at the bottom of Manhattan. I think he was hoping to get to an open, public place but got stuck in traffic when the mob swarmed.

You can bet that there will be lawsuits against most of the participants including the entire NYPD.

NYC and Conceal/Carry in the same sentence? hmm.

+1 on the not hanging up.

This freeway runs out at the bottom of Manhattan. I think he was hoping to get to an open, public place but got stuck in traffic when the mob swarmed.

You can bet that there will be lawsuits against most of the participants including the entire NYPD.

NYC and Conceal/Carry in the same sentence? hmm.

+1 on the not hanging up.

Not in NYC. Only celebs and wealthy need apply. If that happened, in lets say Texas or Arizona, the results may have been different.

Hindsight is 20/20. This guy didn't know he'd be surrounded by these bikers. Looked to me that the first guy that got hit just released his throttle completely and hit the Range Rover. The bikers should have taken down his licence and called the cops.
The worst thing to do is confront someone in this wacky world full of angry people. It's difficult to walk away, but you're more likely to live.
Just ask Trayvon Martin.

Well said. We all experience some idiot that cuts us off or honks at us for driving within the legal speed limit etc.
The last thing I ever do is respond, you never know the mental condition of said idiot.
The reason I brought up, "concealed weapons permit", is because my wife asked me. What would I do?
As one of the members on this thread already said, if the mob stops you, opens your door and begins to pull you out I would agree it is time to protect and defend my life and my family with deadly force.
The "motorcyclist", to be fair, who stopped or slowed and caused the SUV to collide with him is where it all started in my opinion. That is the spark that caused the fire. I wonder if his new attorney, oh what is her name Julia Allred or something, you know the ambulance chaser that gets in the middle of these things, I wonder if she will make any money out of the deal.
I really feel bad for this family, they were completely innocent IMHO.

The news stories are all about scary bikers threatening ordinary folks in cars with bodily harm.

It's ironic, because we all know the reality: two thirds of all motorcycle/car accidents are caused by the car drivers. Motorcyclists, as a rule, are not a threat to motorists, it is by far the other way around.

It's dangerous to perpetuate the myth that motorcyclists are the threat.

Harry

"NYC and Conceal/Carry in the same sentence? hmm."

Not in NYC. Only celebs and wealthy need apply.

A city of millions with no illegal guns? Who are you kidding. Think these knuckleheads are angels?
Anyone in NYC is as likely as not to be packing. The "law" means nothing. Or less.

I agree that no conclusive observations can be gleaned from the video. We'll never know if a prior incident preceded the vehicle striking the first bike. I have heard, however, that crowds of people riding similar bikes habitually ride slowly, blocking all lanes, in other states and places... Maybe it's a "trend", but nothing can justify this type of activity.

The whole thing is tragic, and that's about all one can really get out of any of this.

Back