• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I watched The Youtube Video of the NY Motorcycle Gang

"NYC and Conceal/Carry in the same sentence? hmm."

A city of millions with no illegal guns? Who are you kidding. Think these knuckleheads are angels?
Anyone in NYC is as likely as not to be packing. The "law" means nothing. Or less.

I agree that no conclusive observations can be gleaned from the video. We'll never know if a prior incident preceded the vehicle striking the first bike. I have heard, however, that crowds of people riding similar bikes habitually ride slowly, blocking all lanes, in other states and places... Maybe it's a "trend", but nothing can justify this type of activity.

The whole thing is tragic, and that's about all one can really get out of any of this.

We are talking about legal carry. At least that was my inference.

The news stories are all about scary bikers threatening ordinary folks in cars with bodily harm.

It's ironic, because we all know the reality: two thirds of all motorcycle/car accidents are caused by the car drivers. Motorcyclists, as a rule, are not a threat to motorists, it is by far the other way around.

It's dangerous to perpetuate the myth that motorcyclists are the threat.

Harry

It wasn't a myth that day and from what I have read and heard, these squid mobs are becoming more commonplace.

The news stories are all about scary bikers threatening ordinary folks in cars with bodily harm.

It's ironic, because we all know the reality: two thirds of all motorcycle/car accidents are caused by the car drivers. Motorcyclists, as a rule, are not a threat to motorists, it is by far the other way around.

It's dangerous to perpetuate the myth that motorcyclists are the threat.

Harry

It is also dangerous to support the riders just because they were on a motorcycle.

what "The Wild One", did for motorcycling in 1954, these new aberrations are likely to continue in the public mind in 2013. I too can't believe there so few NYPD, zero when watching those vids, in NYC. Lived there for a decade and remember cruisers around every corner. Back to Hollister.

From a report on CBS News

"Police arrested two of the alleged assailants over the weekend, and more arrests could be on the way. Police say the man seen pulling the Range Rover's door open is 35-year-old Robert Sims, of Brooklyn. And they say the man who later slammed his helmet against the driver's side window is Reginald Chance, 37, also from Brooklyn. Chance, CBS News has learned, already has 21 prior arrests on his record, including robbery and drug charges."

I'm sure there is more that will come out over the next few days as the investigation continues.

what "The Wild One", did for motorcycling in 1954, these new aberrations are likely to continue in the public mind in 2013. I too can't believe there so few NYPD, zero when watching those vids, in NYC. Lived there for a decade and remember cruisers around every corner. Back to Hollister.

They were all riding their stunt bikes that day.

In the first place the SUV driver was an idiot. He had a five thousand pound hammer in his control and didn't use it. Had I been driving there in that vehicle there would have been motorcycle paste all over the road. I also carry concealed but a five shot 38 is nothing compared to a massive steel vehicle.

I'm sorry but some of the folks responding to this thread have no idea what low lifes roam our streets. Whether these guys rode motorcycles, tricycles or roller blades they were violent people who reveled in intimidation. The SUV driver had one chance, identify what the situation was and get the hell out of there well before the pack set upon him. We have come to the point where you have to be situationally aware or you may pay for it with your life. Our county sheriff made a statement on TV that made national news. He said that his deputies could not protect everyone all the time. He advised people to arm themselves. If you wait for 911 stand by for a trip to the hospital or morgue. The NE USA populace don't understand that mentality. I have a concealed carry permit and in my state and most others, when that guy started smashing the window, I would have every right to shoot him. My pistol has 18 rounds and I carry two extra magazines. I'm quite certain these animals would start losing their pack mentality as they crawled over the bodies of their buddies.

I'm sorry but some of the folks responding to this thread have no idea what low lifes roam our streets. Whether these guys rode motorcycles, tricycles or roller blades they were violent people who reveled in intimidation. The SUV driver had one chance, identify what the situation was and get the hell out of there well before the pack set upon him. We have come to the point where you have to be situationally aware or you may pay for it with your life. Our county sheriff made a statement on TV that made national news. He said that his deputies could not protect everyone all the time. He advised people to arm themselves. If you wait for 911 stand by for a trip to the hospital or morgue. The NE USA populace don't understand that mentality. I have a concealed carry permit and in my state and most others, when that guy started smashing the window, I would have every right to shoot him. My pistol has 18 rounds and I carry two extra magazines. I'm quite certain these animals would start losing their pack mentality as they crawled over the bodies of their buddies.

I'm wondering, if the driver was armed and started shooting, if some of the LEO's in the crowd would have gone into action and started shooting back at the driver? :dunno

Taking a life is a serious matter, and should never be taken lightly. You will pay for that in many ways for many years. There is the phrase, win the battle and lose the war, it applies here.

I am very glad guns were not used in this situation. The would be many dead, not just injured, including most likely my SUV driver. I know people who carry all the time, and it seems to me that some of them take risks I would never take, carrying or not.

This became a no win scenario. All the prior convicted, no license, no insurance fools in this incident should be rounded up and put someplace where they can never drive again. The group is responsible for creating the situation where the one person was paralyzed. To blame the SUV driver is foolish, even if he flipped some one off to start this, the response was way out of proportion.

Rod

Cop.

The rider trying to smash the rear window of the SUV, while sh-t for brains was using his helmet on the front window was a cop. I say was because he was stripped of his gun and badge today, arrested, and now is in jail waiting his fate.
With all the media attention this is getting it will affect all of us as riders.
Mo

It MAY affect all riders in a positive way. Perhaps the cage drivers will pay a little more attention to us - but, to be honest, I haven't had a single motorist this riding season do anything mean or stupid near me. (Could be because most of my riding is rural - and of course, I live in Canada.) And I try not to do anything to incur their wrath - no loud pipes, tailgating, headlight modulator. I DO have extra front lighting, a brake light that flashes before going solid, a white full-face helmet, and a Rev'it suit that probably makes me look like the safety-conscious geek I am - but not an outlaw or squid. Not somebody to fear or hate.

I think most of us would agree that LARGE groups of motorcycles ARE something to fear and avoid. Doesn't matter if that's 30 Goldwing riders doing 10 under the speed limit, 30 Hell's Angels, a large group of Harley riders on a toy run, or a couple hundred squids out to prove something. GET OUT OF THE WAY AND DON'T MESS WITH THEM! And if they are doing something illegal, pull out that ubiquitous cell phone and call the cops. Maybe when this incident has run its course, that will prove more effective than it was for the SUV driver's wife.

What some are overlooking here is that there were multiple cops on the scene already. Some were undercover, some were riding with the group. None did anything but witness what happened. It's a black eye on the NYPD and a deserved one. In a city where lawful self-protection is a difficult if not impossible task, people depend on the police. The bad guys know this and with the hands off policy just encouraged them. Police officers in the crowd just adds insult to injury.

The NE USA populace don't understand that mentality.

The homicide rates in the NE USA are remarkably similar to the rest of the country............for reference, NY state has a slightly lower homicide rate than TX.

So, back to the stupid idiots on the bikes..........

The only fault I find in your 'point of view' is that I'd recommend a third backup mag. :usa

The rider trying to smash the rear window of the SUV, while sh-t for brains was using his helmet on the front window was a cop. I say was because he was stripped of his gun and badge today, arrested, and now is in jail waiting his fate.
With all the media attention this is getting it will affect all of us as riders.
Mo

Undercover cops are prohibited from engaging in unlawful activities, even to maintain their cover, unless their life is in danger (often a scenario in undercover drug operations).

The 'undercover officer' riding with this gang of idiots should not have joined in, and has earned the wrath of his department.

The others (cops) riding along picked the wrong kinds of buddies to hang with - they showed no better judgment.

I'm wondering, if the driver was armed and started shooting, if some of the LEO's in the crowd would have gone into action and started shooting back at the driver? :dunno

They didn't stop the aholes from breaking the windows, punching and slashing the driver or stop the other riders from behaving like aholes.

Back