• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Does tire pressure make that much of a difference?

Robert and Bill give a very accurate description with air pressure and how they are different than what may be on the frame sticker or owner's manual. Surely NOT to get off topic, as one guy may alude, but has anyone used TPMs? Tire pressure monitors.

I first began using them with my Airstream maybe 4 years ago to alert me of not only slow leaks but blow outs. On an aluminum travel trailer this can cause totally catostropic damage to a wheel well when the tire begins to flop around inside the well within perhaps 1/4 mile........

Saved me 3 times that blowouts happened when traveling out in the 4 corners in the summer and a couple of times indicated slow leaks. Yes, the temps of the tires with the blowouts were high and could have been contributing factors along with faulty tires.

2 years ago I began to use it on my /6. What I really like is that the monitor advises me after the bike has sat for a period of time and lost pressure. I don't know about others but that is a little chore that I really don't enjoy.......checking and then dragging out the compressor hose..........The monitor also let me know about a slow leak LONG before there was a noticeable handling problem.

Where I also use the monitors is on my Merc SLK 320 to keep it in top roller skate handling condition; but this is a motorcycle forum and surely not to get off topic..............THEY WORK........God bless........Dennis

This sounds like a very good idea. Will they work on tube-type tires? Where did you get yours? And how much are they?

I find myself ALWAYS being nervous that the tires are going to be low or borderline, so I check every other ride or so. Though I have never ever had a tire problem while riding, I don't want to either!

... but has anyone used TPMs? Tire pressure monitors./QUOTE]

My bike has a TPMS that came installed on the bike. Likely all BMWs now come so equipped. My system does not measure precisely the same as my manual gage, but it is close (within 1 to 2 psi) and it is consistent. Therefore I have gotten used to how it measures and have therefore grown to trust its information. I keep the TPMS readout showing on the computer screen of the bike as I ride, therefore I will be alerted to any tire condition that loses air pressure. Bottom line ... TPMS works well for me.

tpms on tube tires

http://www.vulcantire.com/pressurepro_mc_sys.htm

The question about tube type tires got me to wondering, Seems that there are a lot of aftermarket monitoring systems that should work with tube type tires where the pressure sensor is the valve stem cap.

I have never had tpms before cut my wife's Town and Country started showing alarms and sure enough There was a big nail in the tire. Pressure never got below 28 psi. The above url is just one of many on the market.

The system that we use is a Hawk Tire Pressure Monitoring System:

http://www.tpms.ca/

They mount on the valve stem and measure pressure and temperature. I have perhaps 50K miles on the various vehicles that we mount them on. In addition to the motorcycle, they go on the Airstream, F250, SLK, and the livestock trailer. Yes, we use the same basic set for 8 wheels and switch them out for the way/vehicle we want to use them on.........The trailers use 4 with the truck making the need for 8.......Settings/values for the tires are easy to change out for how we are gonna use them.

The livestock trailer is the most important of all as not only is the rig piloted by my wife on the way to various shows and deliveries of stock; but extra insurance that she is safe on the road when gone a couple of days down the road and the many $$$$$$ worth of stock is safe.

Anyway, good stuff and there are several on the market.........Just do some research on "tire pressure monitoring system" as your search word/phrase..........God bless........Dennis

This thread coincided with putting my red smoke '82 RS (LOVE that bike!) back on the road after sitting for a while waiting for me to fix the oil pressure relief valve and to stop being distracted by the other toys in the shed. I read Snobum's info and what folks had to say here and realized that what the bike sticker says and reality of running "modern" Metzeler LaserTec tires were out of sync. Well, lasertecs have been around for quite a while but you know what I mean. And while they are tubeless I do run tubes in them in my snowflake wheels.

I decided to take Snobum's advice and knock 3 or 4 lbs off of the max tire pressure (on the tire that is) and went with 36 in the front and 39 in the rear. It seems to work OK and I noticed that the bike is a LOT easier to roll out of the shed at those pressures! :thumb

I really don't know what to look for handling wise when it comes to tire pressures. While a very soft tire is quite noticeable front or rear the difference because the bike gets all smarmy, a couple of pounds in either wheel is just not immediately obvious to me. I do like to ride pretty quick but have never raced motorcycles on a proper track.

So what should I look for to get it just right? I am also curious to hear what pressures fellow R100RS owners are finding works best on these more modern tires.

So what should I look for to get it just right? I am also curious to hear what pressures fellow R100RS owners are finding works best on these more modern tires.

To me, the most crucial thing to look for is high speed cornering like on an Interstate exit ramp at a speed that you normally travel. You have to experiment, but I try to find where I can "trust" my tires to stick to the road on a corner. I love to corner and I want to feel like nothing is slipping or mushy.

Don't forget however, that road "stickiness" changed if the pavement is wet, even slightly. So in your experimenting, be very careful.

Also, you might want to also experiment and set pressures for when you may travel two-up, or when the bike is loaded up with stuff.

As I mentioned in a previous reply, the BMW RDC/TPS is compensated to 20 degrees C. Unless your cold pressure is taken at 68F or 20C it won't measure the same as the best digital pressure gauge. IMO, and a whole bunch of people who have RDC, its most significant attribute is it lets you know about loss of pressure. If you want to know why they did it that way, my best guess is that German engineers don't think like normal people.

... German engineers don't think like normal people.

I say the same thing every time I try to use some of those obscure "features" of my onboard computer. I swear that the BMW engineers put that stuff on a m/c simply because they can.

Short test ride

Hey Dpmonk,after you make the adjustment to the air pressure can you let us know if it made any difference?

Got the tires pressured to 33 front 36 rear. Beautiful cool morning for the ride to the Harvest Classic. Got out of the driveway and the red low voltage light was shining bright. RATS! Threw all the gear in the GS and took off.

Guess the tire pressure test drive will have to wait until i get the Charging system problem sorted out.

PS. Battery in GS was a little discharged. Died in Magnolia Texas. Fortunately it takes a readily available AGM battery from Auto Zone. Duralast cost $108.

Fantastic rally and bike show at Luckenbach by the way.

PS. Battery in GS was a little discharged. Died in Magnolia Texas. Fortunately it takes a readily available AGM battery from Auto Zone. Duralast cost $108.

Fantastic rally and bike show at Luckenbach by the way.

Uh Oh!!

Be ready to get blasted by some on here!

Back in Feb/Mar., since I had been out of the BMW "scene" for 25 years, I posed the question about where to purchase a battery. I asked what was the current trend, Wal-Mart, AutoZone or what???

When I suggested these "non-BMW" choices, wow, did I get the nasty!! I was told that no one would put such a battery in these "Magnificent Machines." I was also called a "shade tree" mechanic for such a suggestion!!

Guess what I purchased? An AGM from Advance Auto, and with a current discount it only cost $79.00. The exact same model is sold at AutoZone! Hasn't skipped a beat since, 9,000 miles later. I can get three of these for the price of ONE of their suggestion. And there is practically an AutoZone/Advance Auto on every corner of the US. It also came with a 1 year warranty.

Good luck!

Jimmy -

Surely there was a smilie used in there somewhere! Here, I'll use one now... :stick

Actually I don't recall the thread, but stepping back a bit, I think that whatever floats your boat, go for it. There may be issues with fitment (size, battery post location, tool tray clearance), cranking amps, compatibility with the bikes charging system...probably more. But you bring up a good point...where would you be able to get your Shorai serviced on the road? :deal

It's definitely a personal choice...

Jimmy -

Surely there was a smilie used in there somewhere! Here, I'll use one now... :stick

Kurt, I remember the thread and there was definitely not a smile in the post. I know jimmylee personally and we discussed this off line, becasue I had a similar experience with the same poster.

isn't this a tire pressure thread? haha

All I know is i was broke down, many many miles from the nearest dealer, and the Duralast fitteth perfectly.

I was just disappointed I had to ride a hexhead to a classic mc rallly, sure saw a lot of old beemers that were ridden there, as well as a couple of pristine Nortons, a pair of Matchless's kept riding by.

Back