• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Starter or Battery 2004 R1150RT

Update:

The modified VR for my Odyssey PC 680 has been in for a month now. What a pleasure, no more use of a trickle charger. I had to let the bike sit for several days after a trip to the airport but measured the battery this morning—12.94 V, 100% charged.

Under similar conditions with the stock regulator I’d be measuring 12.7x V much less than a full charge. For me, the mod is well worth the effort. Either the diode I used or a higher voltage regulator does the job, prolonging the life of the battery and improving starting.

No kidding Roger. This mod is SO worth doing.
I get the same voltage.
Starting is noticeably improved.
I've modded a few now.

Just note of thanks to Roger for tracking down the hard cold starting problem with the 1150s. My '04 R1150GSA with a 6 month old MotoBatt (AGM) was not getting fully charged, and the planetary gear cover inside the starter had come loose and was shorting out the armature. (I see where Euro Motoelectrics has a new cover available for $3.99.) A new starter and an Odyssey charger that fully charges the battery (I did several discharge cycles of the 6 month old MotoBatt) took care of the problem for me. I'll consider doing ground wire modification to the coils at a later time.

Many, many thanks, Roger!

Alex;

Good to see you back. I thought you'd dropped off the board, but I see you had some posts last fall that I missed. :)

Alex;

Good to see you back. I thought you'd dropped off the board, but I see you had some posts last fall that I missed. :)

Not really, if I have the urge or the time. Same on the P car forums...lots of people with money, many of which who know SFA about anything technical. BTW, bought myself a new GTS.

Gentlemen:

Were these electronics issues cleared up in the Hexheads, or do they need some attention too? My '05 is perfect, as far as I can tell, with the exception of some lower rpm engine snatchiness, which, I take it, an AF-Xied will cure.

Gentlemen:

Were these electronics issues cleared up in the Hexheads, or do they need some attention too? My '05 is perfect, as far as I can tell, with the exception of some lower rpm engine snatchiness, which, I take it, an AF-Xied will cure.

Yes

Gentlemen:

All internal combustion engines make more power at what’s call the Best Power Mixture (about 13.0:1) than they do at their Stoichiometric Mixture (14.7:1) where the catalytic converter is most efficient. An AF-XIED can push the mixture to 13.8 -14.0, which boosts torque some and smoothes the engine.

Back