• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New guy needs advice, moving to MD

natepetersen85

Maryland riders, I need some support!

In about 10 days, I am driving with my family out to Andrews AFB, I have orders and we are moving to the area. We are looking to rent a home east of the base, preferably in the chesapeake beach, north beach area, but anywhere from Crofton down to Prince Frederick. We are pretty open to possibilities, with that said, I do have a picky wife who has a set of guidelines. Here they are:

3 or 4 bedrooms, at least a 1 car garage, under 2500 a month, around 2000 sq ft.

Recently we stumbled on a house in Chesapeake Beach, for $2450, a 4 bedroom, very very nice place with room for the kids to run in the back yard and plenty of room for me and my toys and the BMW... Its an easy sell, we are happy to pay that price and be where we want to live.

Then this other place showed up on our radar. Its down near Mechanicsville, majorly out in the woods. It is 3 bedrooms, updated very nicely, plenty of space for us, but its about a 50 minute drive to work for me without traffic, where as chesapeake beach would be around 30 minutes. It sits on 5 acres or so and would be a great place for us as well.

Here is the kicker, the place in Mechanicsville is only $1625 a month. Substantially less than the other house. Now we are having a really hard time deciding what one we should go for, thus my post. We can live where we want to live, and pay substantially more, or live a little out of the way and save a bunch of dough.

What are your guys thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Nate

Suppose there are kids and the wife isn't working. Suppose she'll be there more than you. If these suppositions are in the ballpark, her inclinations might carry the day. I know that you stated that you were open to possibilities, but are there any inclinations?

Noel

Save the money. Any issues of inconvenience being further out can be offset by the cash you save. Just my two cents.

I lived in MD for 4 years, up nearer Baltimore, I traveled for work past Mechanicsville often, its a nice safe rural area. I would recomend that with out any problem. The cheasapeake beach property will likely sell much faster in the event you need to move quickly, little busier, but again very safe area. Good luck in your search.

I guess if you have water toys, the beach would be a better choice and if you have a dirt bike to go along with your BMW the rural area would make a great place to ride on 5 acres.

good advice guys, i do have a wife and 3 kids. all of which do well in a rural setting. i think we're going to apply for the Mechanicsville house and see what happens.

neither commute will be a bargain during rush hour. that being said coming up from Mechanicsville will mean going through Waldorf and most days that can be a real PITA. Chesapeake Beach through Upper Marlboro is only slightly better but given the shorter distance it would be, at least for me, preferable.
Good luck either way.

Welcome to the area, so to speak!

Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with that part of MD tho.

We ended up choosing the house in Mechanicsville, its just off of 6 east of town. Getting settled in still and unpacking. I take 381 north instead of going through waldorf, it takes me 55 minutes to get to work but the drive is scenic and should be a blast on the bike.

Back