• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best Carb Sync tool for 1996 rt1100

zblue

:wave
Hello, Now that I have retired and I have more time to perform the regular maintenance on my Motorcycles. I used to do a lot of my own work and had Carb sticks at one time but they since have vanished. I have looked at a lot of carb sync tools and most would work but I am interested in what has worked for you. One that you would recommend for the RT1100. The RT is my third BMW and I hope not my last BMW. Thanks Bob

My cheapo $20 carb sticks I bought from JC Whitney over 25 years ago work fine. I balanced the throttle bodies I rebuilt myself with the Bing kit, and used my mercury sticks to balance them. Worked great. Later I had a chance to check my RS on the BMW Factory synchronizing stand, and found I was within 1/2 millibar on the BMW gauge.

My cheapo $20 carb sticks I bought from JC Whitney over 25 years ago work fine. I balanced the throttle bodies I rebuilt myself with the Bing kit, and used my mercury sticks to balance them. Worked great. Later I had a chance to check my RS on the BMW Factory synchronizing stand, and found I was within 1/2 millibar on the BMW gauge.

That's great for you Andy but won't help the OP. Mercury sticks were banned years ago and for good reason even. Personally I wouldn't use mercury stix any more even if they were free. Nowadays there are more and better options.

I've used mercury stix, Morgan Carb Tune, Twin Max and a home made ATF fluid unit. But then I found out about the Harmonizer. Have not touched or used anything else since. Well designed tool that does the job superbly without any of the problems all the other units had. Currently out of stock but another batch coming soon I believe and well worth the wait if you are not in a hurry.

Here's the link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701625&highlight=harmonizer

That's great for you Andy but won't help the OP. Mercury sticks were banned years ago and for good reason even. Personally I wouldn't use mercury stix any more even if they were free. Nowadays there are more and better options.

Dude, it's cool man, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, mercury, cool planet, I don't think it's just a moon. Oh, excuse me................back again.

Mercury, not the planet is scary stuff. It's not just the physical fluid, it can also be the vapor from it. Take the advice given here and get yourself any synchronizer that doesn't have mercury.

I recently read that as little a 1ppb in fish can contribute to significant cognitive impairment through exposure of as little as eating contaminated fish once a month.

Woah man, my Karma, where did I put it again?

My age is showing. Hadn't even thought that the old mercury sticks had been banned. I stand corrected.

I bought a Motion Pro mercury carburetor synchronizer back in 1992 and switched to a Twin Max in 2004, shortly after I got my oilhead.

The Twin Max is very easy to use and it works very well. I can do an idle and off idle balance in under 5 minutes taking my time.

These are all very simple instruments designed to do one thing.

As for the Harmonizer, what does it do better than having a balanced engine? Or is it better because it is newer. Sort of reminds me of battery maintainers. They keep coming out with newer models, but they don't do anything any differently.

:brow I am getting a little confused here??? What carbs are you going to synch on a 1996 RT1100???:brow
If you are going to synch the carbs on your R1100RT, I bet you will end up with a badly surging bike and I would suggest, you don't touch it and get it to a dealer.....

I bought a Motion Pro mercury carburetor synchronizer back in 1992 and switched to a Twin Max in 2004, shortly after I got my oilhead.

The Twin Max is very easy to use and it works very well. I can do an idle and off idle balance in under 5 minutes taking my time.

These are all very simple instruments designed to do one thing.

As for the Harmonizer, what does it do better than having a balanced engine? Or is it better because it is newer. Sort of reminds me of battery maintainers. They keep coming out with newer models, but they don't do anything any differently.

Yes, you can turn a slot head screw with a quarter but a screwdriver works better!

Better mouse traps have been invented from day one. It's called progress.
Have you used a Harmonizer yet? If you ever do you will prefer it to the TwinMax, hands down.
It is more accurate, easier to use, less bulky and the display does not bounce around for starters.
It also measures RPM more accurately than your tach making idle adjustments easier.

:brow I am getting a little confused here??? What carbs are you going to synch on a 1996 RT1100???:brow
If you are going to synch the carbs on your R1100RT, I bet you will end up with a badly surging bike and I would suggest, you don't touch it and get it to a dealer.....

Well yeah, I would say you are. :)
Carb synch tools have been used to sych throttle bodies since they started replacing carbs.
Dozens of us synch our own throttle bodies and we don't need to go running to a dealer to accomplish this simple task. Assuming you have the right tools and some knowledge of course. :brow

I'm thinking this was tongue in cheek.

Damn, no wonder why my mercury carb stix work so well on my bike. I always thought I was syncing carbs.

Yes, you can turn a slot head screw with a quarter but a screwdriver works better!

Thats not even an equitable comparison.

Have you used a Harmonizer yet? If you ever do you will prefer it to the TwinMax, hands down.

Not being your average lemming/consumer, I'm not about to throw away my Twin Max and run out and buy a Harmonizer that will not provide me with a smoother running engine.

It is more accurate, easier to use, less bulky and the display does not bounce around for starters.

Accurate? Prove it! Accuracy? What accuracy do you need...its not like you are setting up x millibars at X RPM. You want both cylinders to be the same...thats all.

If you really want precision, you'd get one measurement sensor with one hose and a Y splitter with a selector valve and switch left to right to left, etc.

The Twin Max is easy to use and is compact enough to fit in my luggage when I head to Europe to tune my bike there.

As for the needle bouncing, you want it to. That is how it works. You're not looking for any particular reading, just a centered position of a quickly swinging needle.

I'd bet you if I used either to tune an engine, you could not tell the difference. Want to take me up on that bet; I need the money. :wave

I have been down this road myself. I have a Twinmax. Simple to use, my 96 1100 seems to run very well using it, and most critically, it is a tool that is very easy to obtain.

Contrast that to the Harmonizer. Great tool, so everyone claims. I'm sure it is. But...VERY hard to get your hands on. Made by one guy in his garage. He has no email to contact him. You never know when he is going to run a few up. Every time this issue comes up I see that same link posted, like that just solves the problem. Anyone notice that that posting is from June of 2011. We are coming up on 2014, folks. And it is always the same situation: "He's out of them at the moment, but supposed to make some more soon." How could you tell he was out? From the 2011 post? Ridiculous. How do you know when he is going to make any more? You can't contact him. I wish some company, like Twinmax, would buy out his patent, and go into regular production. This is a long rant, but I say that anyone who blithely tells someone like the OP to, "Go buy a Harmonizer," hasn't tried to buy one lately. It appears to be next to impossible. And believe me, I've tried. Now everyone tell me how simple it is to get one, that they had no problem. Okay,... give me his email, give me his phone number, give me his postal address. Then I too can hand over my $140 for this miracle tool.

I wish some company, like Twinmax, would buy out his patent, and go into regular production.

I doubt he has a patent since other units long in the market work on the same principle. The difference might be the needed damping and averaging to provide a bar graph that changes slowly.

Bought a Twin-Max years ago and it works and works well. I wouldn't throw money away on some new gadget that does the same thing. Bottom line, buy a Twin-Max.

I have a U tube of aquarium line stapled to a board, with a little water in it and I use little balls of cotton in the end near where I plug into the throttle bodies to damp it. Works fine. If you buy a board, air line, some connectors, staples and even cotton balls and all it might cost you $20 bucks. No need for anything else. simple, indestructible, cheap. Only way to go wrong is let the line hit the exhaust, and then you just get more line.

Rod

Thats not even an equitable comparison.

I agree! It was intended as humour and to make but not prove a point. Time moves on. New things come along. That sort of thing.

Not being your average lemming/consumer, I'm not about to throw away my Twin Max and run out and buy a Harmonizer that will not provide me with a smoother running engine.

I'm sure only a lemming would suggest you throw away your Twin Max. But that is not what I said. I never throw out tools even when I have a better one. Just ask my wife!:fight

Accurate? Prove it! Accuracy? What accuracy do you need...its not like you are setting up x millibars at X RPM. You want both cylinders to be the same...thats all.

I agree! It's all about balance. It's funny you should say that though because the Harmonizer allows you to set up you TBs at x millibars at X RPM. And it displays them both very clearly on an easy to read quartz display.

If you really want precision, you'd get one measurement sensor with one hose and a Y splitter with a selector valve and switch left to right to left, etc.

Or two measurement sensors. One for each cylinder. Like a Twin Max or a Harmonizer. But what you do with that signal and how you display it does count for something IMO.

The Twin Max is easy to use and is compact enough to fit in my luggage when I head to Europe to tune my bike there.

Sorry, no advantage there. I've held and used a TwinMax and a Harmonizer. The latter is lighter and smaller. So not sure what your point is.

As for the needle bouncing, you want it to. That is how it works. You're not looking for any particular reading, just a centered position of a quickly swinging needle.

No, I don't want it to bounce. My personal preference (and this really is all just personal preference isn't it?) is a steady display that clearly shows where center (in balance) is and not a needle swinging back and forth with a knob to dampen this action.

I'd bet you if I used either to tune an engine, you could not tell the difference. Want to take me up on that bet; I need the money. :wave

I was not making any claims about the end result. I am simply saying that in my opinion (worth what it costs you) the Harmonizer is a superior tuning instrument.

Before you tear into other poster's opinions it is always good practice to review the OP's question. And what he was asking was which do we think is the BEST tool. Wouldn't it be easier to just say you like the TwinMax and think it does the job just fine for you? That would answer the question...

Last edited:
I have been down this road myself. I have a Twinmax. Simple to use, my 96 1100 seems to run very well using it, and most critically, it is a tool that is very easy to obtain.

Contrast that to the Harmonizer. Great tool, so everyone claims. I'm sure it is. But...VERY hard to get your hands on. Made by one guy in his garage. He has no email to contact him. You never know when he is going to run a few up. Every time this issue comes up I see that same link posted, like that just solves the problem. Anyone notice that that posting is from June of 2011. We are coming up on 2014, folks. And it is always the same situation: "He's out of them at the moment, but supposed to make some more soon." How could you tell he was out? From the 2011 post? Ridiculous. How do you know when he is going to make any more? You can't contact him. I wish some company, like Twinmax, would buy out his patent, and go into regular production. This is a long rant, but I say that anyone who blithely tells someone like the OP to, "Go buy a Harmonizer," hasn't tried to buy one lately. It appears to be next to impossible. And believe me, I've tried. Now everyone tell me how simple it is to get one, that they had no problem. Okay,... give me his email, give me his phone number, give me his postal address. Then I too can hand over my $140 for this miracle tool.

Yeah I think the last ones shipped last spring. They do come up for sale in the flea market on ADV and other sites now and again. If you follow the thread over on ADV the inventor is going through some personal hardships right now making the production of more product impossible. There are a lot of frustrated would be buyers out there and that is a shame. Again, if you follow the thread you know all this.

But anyway, the OP is just asking for opinions on the best tool out there and I think the Harmonizer is. In the last line of my post I said it's a great tool if you're willing to wait. Perhaps I could have been more clear that they are not available right now and Grok has not been regularly updating his situation. But the first post in his thread is pretty clear.

Subscribing to the thread is the best way to know when and if they become available again. I just got lucky I guess. Heard about it, read about it, ordered one and got it right away.

Back