• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

It was a great ride until.....

grahamm

Yikes! tears in both tires from a nasty sharp rock on a back road... it was not big but boy oh boy I hit it just right:(

Was able to ride it to a stop with incident:)

Thank-goodness my daughter was home, only an hour away and I have a trailer!

So what do people do when this happens in the middle of nowhere?

A pair of K60 scouts coming to my local shop express over night so I can get back to my explorations.

front:

Back:

Zounds!!!!! That is a one in a million event. Thank goodness all you lost were tires, time and likely a pair of skivvies.

Wow. Near perfect slice. Were you riding in a field full of obsidian? :brow

No wonder there's no road hazard warranties on bike tires eh?

Glad to hear you're OK.

Ouch.....

I guess if that happened to me I'd get comfortable and see if the roadside assistance with my BMWMOA membership actually works, though that assumes there's cell phone reception in the middle of nowhere

Sorry to hear your ride was ruined, but at least you and the bike made it out of the situation safely

Wow. Near perfect slice. Were you riding in a field full of obsidian? :brow

Nope... Nice packed gravel road with one perfectly placed rock slightly embedded to hold it's ground as I hit it cornering a right turn... Shadows and sunlight combo coming through the trees made it difficult to see as I came into the corner... it was a bit of a surprise when there was little control in the front end all of a sudden. The rear was sliced at the same time but it maintained some air for about 3 miles. Actually if the back had not given out I could have got to a shop within about 25miles... Bike drove pretty good keeping the front lite at about 35 to 40mph and sitting back far... But in the end the rear only got me out to the main road before giving up it's air too:(

Were you cornering pretty sharply?

Because if appears to me that that particular "lug" on the tire gripped so well, or was "grabbed" by the rock that caused the "lug" to pull away from the tire and tear - almost off the tire, pulling the layers of belts along with it until it was no longer being "grabbed." Could that have been or was there an excessively sharp rock edge that did this to the front and then also did it to the rear?

I am glad, however, that you are OK.

Happy to say I was back up and riding in in 26hrs:)

went with Heidenau K60 Scouts, a shop just outside of Toronto (Avicious Cycle) had them in stock and shipped them to a local Husky dealer (Cameron Cycle) where they were mounted on the rims that I dropped off.

so far I really like the performance of these tires... great at highway speeds with good control in Gravel:)

n.jpg

Looks great.
Way to go.
but, not to rain on your parade.....
I put same tires on a 92 GS and after 1,500 miles had issues with a bead leak in the front.
& it's not a new problem with these tires on our bikes.
ADV link.... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771936
Mine.... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906564&highlight=bead+leak

I would monitor the pressures closely for several hundred miles.
Hope you don't have the bead leak issue.
Ride Safe

Back