• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT hard bags

bdfbeemer

RT in NC
Does anyone know if there are aftermarket hard bags for the RT? I wish I could find some larger and top opening.

I wish. I think the size is okay but damn, the side opening is a pain in the neck four times a day and twice that on Sunday.

I don't seem to have a problem with size or the opening aspect
Regards
Paul

Open a normal top-loading saddlebag and you can lower four plastic grocery bags into it with one hand. They will stay in place while you close the lid with the same hand.

Open the RT's saddlebag, hope the lid retaining strap does not break off, unbuckle the X partition strap, put the groceries in, try to buckle the X strap while groceries fall out, try to hold the bags in with one hand while attempting to close the lid with the other hand. The contents foul the edge along the bottom of the lid so you have to rearrange the contents away from the lid edges to get it to close but gravity pulls things into the opening so you still can't close it. After you get it closed, you notice the strap of the bag got caught in the lid and is hanging out so you open it again and repeat the process.

Trade in the RT on a GS because it's the only Beemer with top-loading saddlebags.

Well, I have to get to work and it will take me a minute to adjust the strap to hold the laptop at the precise angle that will allow the lid to close.

Yes to all that. Just got back from a trip and was envious of the gs riders top loading bags. And yes I rode Harley dressers for years and got spoiled with the tour pack with a light and saddle bags.

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket hard bags for the RT? I wish I could find some larger and top opening.

I'm sure you're aware of the Jesse's and all? I'm in the process of adapting a pair of older Bates top loaders to my "R" naked bike. I think it will look nice when completed...but is proving to be a ?? due to making my mounts from 1/2" tubing. I want it right & neat...so it has been a slow go. I will post a pic once mounted, & then once complete...paint & all for those interested.

A friend stopped by while I was working on the project, & made another good suggestion. That of using Honda Shadow / Valkyrie bags....could work? Or any nice looking normal shaped top loader. I thought also about early 81-83 G/wing bags. Done right & match painted I think any of them would look nice. And yes the top-load is a + {IMO} as well.

There is a guy on the R1150-1200R group that mounted a set of Tourtechs..on an "R"..Looks more GS'ish but not bad at all.

I've got bikes with both top and side opening cases. Each has its advantages for various uses.
When I go grocery shopping on the RT the topcase gets used. I reserve one sidecase for tools, supplies, etc that are always on the bike.

I use the BMW liner bags. Pack them, they fit, easy to carry, easy to load.

Seems like a lot of work to modify other bags to fit!

I thought that's why God give us legs. One hand opens bag and lid leans at whatever angle I desire on leg and bag loaded...close by pushing forward with leg and close/lock lid with one hand. Of course Harley lid can rest higher on leg, but not always as easy to close with one hand.

I thought that's why God give us legs. One hand opens bag and lid leans at whatever angle I desire on leg and bag loaded...close by pushing forward with leg and close/lock lid with one hand. Of course Harley lid can rest higher on leg, but not always as easy to close with one hand.

+1....and i have CeeBaileys fitted bags for both the side cases and top box.....nice way to pack lots of crap on the RT....

wyman

I'm sure you're aware of the Jesse's and all? I'm in the process of adapting a pair of older Bates top loaders to my "R" naked bike. I think it will look nice when completed...but is proving to be a ?? due to making my mounts from 1/2" tubing. I want it right & neat...so it has been a slow go. I will post a pic once mounted, & then once complete...paint & all for those interested.

A friend stopped by while I was working on the project, & made another good suggestion. That of using Honda Shadow / Valkyrie bags....could work? Or any nice looking normal shaped top loader. I thought also about early 81-83 G/wing bags. Done right & match painted I think any of them would look nice. And yes the top-load is a + {IMO} as well.

There is a guy on the R1150-1200R group that mounted a set of Tourtechs..on an "R"..Looks more GS'ish but not bad at all.

Valkyrie bags look reasonable (everyone has different tastes of course) however, I was on a ride with a friend (Calgary AB to San Diego CA and back) a couple of years ago and by the time we got to the second day we were using duct tape, glue and rivets to try and hold the Valkyrie bags together. They were made of a type of very poor plastic and would never hold up like Jesse bags do. They were not new bags of course so the age of the plastic may have had an influence but the bike was always kept garaged when not ridden so showed no sign of weathering influence. He is now converting some Harley bags for his Valkyrie. :bikes

Last edited:
Valkyrie bags look reasonable (everyone has different tastes of course) however, I was on a ride with a friend (Calgary AB to San Diego CA and back) a couple of years ago and by the time we got to the second day we were using duct tape, glue and rivets to try and hold the Valkyrie bags together. They were made of a type of very poor plastic and would never hold up like Jesse bags do. They were not new bags of course so the age of the plastic may have had an influence but the bike was always kept garaged when not ridden so showed no sign of weathering influence. He is now converting some Harley bags for his Valkyrie. :bikes

WoW!..that is strange. Are you sure they were Honda Valkyrie bags? Not just some bags [on] a Valkyrie? I'm not a Honda fan per'se but they do make quality products. I have a friend who has owned three Valk's never seen anything like that.

Another thought is the Touring bags for an R1200C. They are top loaded & have a decent capacity, and could be keyed to match the motorcycle.

Ever tried to put a helmet into a top-loading side case???

Do it all the time with my Hepco Becker cases on my R1200R. Not so much on our three sets of Jesses. I have side loaders on my FJR and they are nowhere near as convenient. About 80-90% of our riding is on trips ad there is no room for a helmet in a side case in any case.

Back