• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Converting an '96 R1100R into a Cafe Racer - need advice on parts

wineguyd

WineGuyD

My bike in it's current form

A nice inspiration.

I want to modify my R1100R to look and feel more like a Cafe Racer this winter...doesn't have to be "Thruxton" accurate but my first project will be to put either clip on bars or to replace the bolt on pair of raised bars with a one piece tubular bar that is at least 5 inches lower. I have not found any solutions yet other than a conversion piece that Wunderlich makes that is $369 AND is long discontinued. Once i solve the handle bar issue then I'll be looking for bar end mirrors and to replace my pre-facelift instrument cluster with a smaller condensed unit. The second stage will be to replace the exhaust system with a non catalytic dual pipe that has a throatier sound. And last will be to switch to spoked wheels.

I welcome any direction and input for this project and would love to see pics of anyone's Cafe'd out oil heads. Thanks!

Last edited:
On my 94RS, I simply removed the handlebar mounts (that were bolted on under the top triple clamp). I then drilled down through the top, with the top triple clamp still on the bike. I sourced a pair of standard handlebar mounts from a Suzuki GZ250 (the single stud type) I got a cycle salvage yard. Then I could mount whatever handlebar I wanted on top.

Been that way for almost 50,000 miles now with no issues. So you may be able to do the same on the R11R.

I would go with a small R90S style fairing to clean up the front end a bit. Solo seat for sure, maybe a rear seat cowl inplace of the standard seat.

GS wheels will mount right up, but you'll have a 19" front and a 18" rear wheel.

On my 94RS, I simply removed the handlebar mounts (that were bolted on under the top triple clamp). I then drilled down through the top, with the top triple clamp still on the bike. I sourced a pair of standard handlebar mounts from a Suzuki GZ250 (the single stud type) I got a cycle salvage yard. Then I could mount whatever handlebar I wanted on top.

Been that way for almost 50,000 miles now with no issues. So you may be able to do the same on the R11R.

I would go with a small R90S style fairing to clean up the front end a bit. Solo seat for sure, maybe a rear seat cowl inplace of the standard seat.

GS wheels will mount right up, but you'll have a 19" front and a 18" rear wheel.

Thanks! Can you post a picture of your handle bar set up? I like the idea of going an inch up on the wheels, do you think it will have a negative or positive effect on the handling of the bike?

How do your bars mount?
I have a set of K1200RS bars that mount on the top of the fork tubes. I swapped them out for an LSL superbike bar kit from Spiegler on my sidecar rig.

Handlebar005.jpg

Handlebar006.jpg

I started a post last year, "things I built for my bike" something like that. It shows the handlebar mounts.

I doubt the 19"front wheel has much of any impact on the handling, since both the GS and the R11R with the wire wheels had the 19" front wheel.

I started a post last year, "things I built for my bike" something like that. It shows the handlebar mounts.

I doubt the 19"front wheel has much of any impact on the handling, since both the GS and the R11R with the wire wheels had the 19" front wheel.

My handle bars are two separate cast pieces that bolt flat to the top of the fork brace with four bolts, there is not any fork tube sticking up the put clip on bars. I'll snap a shot tomorrow and post it.

I like the idea of bigger wheels...who know, maybe it will bring my speedo back to accuracy since it's 5mph optimistic at 60mph.

Sell yours, Buy an R1100S

Save yourself a butt load of time and money. Buy a R1100S. If you ruin the R1100R you will get nothing as far as resale value. Why? Becuase what you do to it may NOT be what the new owner wants.
Less value and harder to sell.

Save yourself a butt load of time and money. Buy a R1100S. If you ruin the R1100R you will get nothing as far as resale value. Why? Becuase what you do to it may NOT be what the new owner wants.
Less value and harder to sell.

I'm looking to go retro cafe racer. I've already sunk a small fortune in the bike( see my thread "why am I only getting 25mpg" for the history, so at this point the bike is a keeper, I' m not worried about resale...just fun riding!

My handle bars are two separate cast pieces that bolt flat to the top of the fork brace with four bolts, there is not any fork tube sticking up the put clip on bars. I'll snap a shot tomorrow and post it.

I like the idea of bigger wheels...who know, maybe it will bring my speedo back to accuracy since it's 5mph optimistic at 60mph.

I did the tubular handle bar mod on my R1100RS. Could be done on the R11R too but the top clamp is not as well suited to that. You can swap the top clamp from an R1100/1150GS or an R1150R and you'll have the bar mounts then to use a tubular bar. We have one from an R1150R available at the Beemerboneyard here: http://www.beemerboneyard.com/31427654086wig.html . GS spoke wheels will bolt up but you will have a 17" rear and 19" front. BMW did make spoke wheels for special edition R1100R and R1100RTP bikes that were 17" rear and 18" front. They are a little harder to come by used though.
Hope this helps.
Mike

I did the tubular handle bar mod on my R1100RS. Could be done on the R11R too but the top clamp is not as well suited to that. You can swap the top clamp from an R1100/1150GS or an R1150R and you'll have the bar mounts then to use a tubular bar. We have one from an R1150R available at the Beemerboneyard here: http://www.beemerboneyard.com/31427654086wig.html . GS spoke wheels will bolt up but you will have a 17" rear and 19" front. BMW did make spoke wheels for special edition R1100R and R1100RTP bikes that were 17" rear and 18" front. They are a little harder to come by used though.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Thanks Mike! Definitely a possibility. I'm scouring the web for the wunderlich adaptor which is pricy but save me the work of swapping the fork bridge. I'might even look for a machinist to fabricate one for me. If you come across the 75th anniversary edition wheels let me know...although looking at my bike it doesn't seem like a 19" wheel would even fit up front, did they raise the fender bridge?

Thanks Mike! Definitely a possibility. I'm scouring the web for the wunderlich adaptor which is pricy but save me the work of swapping the fork bridge. I'might even look for a machinist to fabricate one for me. If you come across the 75th anniversary edition wheels let me know...although looking at my bike it doesn't seem like a 19" wheel would even fit up front, did they raise the fender bridge?

GS front wheel is 19" 75th anniversary front wheel is 18" and will fit your bike easily.
Mike

Or, just save your pennies to buy the new, just released RnineT, the cafe style R12 based concept bike. Coming to BMW dealers this November. I just got the Product Information Bulletin from my dealer.

It looks a lot like the cafe concept bike BMW showed off two years ago. Wire wheels, cafe style seat, twin mufflers on the left, NO Telelever front end. Good looking, basic, naked R12 bike.

Or, just save your pennies to buy the new, just released RnineT, the cafe style R12 based concept bike. Coming to BMW dealers this November. I just got the Product Information Bulletin from my dealer.

It looks a lot like the cafe concept bike BMW showed off two years ago. Wire wheels, cafe style seat, twin mufflers on the left, NO Telelever front end. Good looking, basic, naked R12 bike.

Nice thought but I'm sure BMW is going to bring in a limited number and jack the price...I'll bet it retails for close to $20,000...a lot of pennies.

Last edited:
Back