• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 RT fairing fasteners backing out

wvpc

I have lost 2 screws this year that fasten the fairing to the bike. Also one screw backed out of the rear fender and was laying on a ledge under the seat. Since I have all the tuppeware off for the 12K I was thinking of applying some blue locktite to all those fasteners that hold the fairing together and most to the bike. Before I try that has anyone had a similar experience and if so what did you do?

I have lost 2 screws this year that fasten the fairing to the bike. Also one screw backed out of the rear fender and was laying on a ledge under the seat. Since I have all the tuppeware off for the 12K I was thinking of applying some blue locktite to all those fasteners that hold the fairing together and most to the bike. Before I try that has anyone had a similar experience and if so what did you do?

i would not use blue loctite....the screws as a rule thread into a quick nut which may spin with the thread locker....since the flange headed screws attach plastic to a steel quick nut, applying a good "cinch" to the screw should hold it fast....i use a t-handle torx wrench on all the screws....and there are a crap load of then too....LOL

i am just a newbie here with limited experience on the R1200RT....but i have mucho experience on fastening lots of tupperware to other chassis.....

BTW....7800 miles in 3 months and have had the tupperware off 4 times for various additions and services.....no lost screws....prolly jinxed myself here...LOL

wyman

I have used simple carpenters wood glue (and it doesn't take much)as a plastic safe threadlocker for years . I had a Buell Ulysses that would self remove all of the plastic bodywork fasteners without it. Depending on the plastic any loctite not labeled plastic safe may destroy the plastic you are putting it in or through.

Never had a fastener back out on my RT and I do all my own service. No thread lockers, just a decent feel for snug.
The panels on an RT fit very well. I wonder if a careless bit of positioning caused some fasteners to not be truly snugged down but runnig on the friction of the panel. I do not trust electric screwdrivers- if I use one to run the screws in, I always check each one by hand at the end.

Never had a fastener back out on my RT and I do all my own service. No thread lockers, just a decent feel for snug.
The panels on an RT fit very well. I wonder if a careless bit of positioning caused some fasteners to not be truly snugged down but runnig on the friction of the panel. I do not trust electric screwdrivers- if I use one to run the screws in, I always check each one by hand at the end.

Good point. Haven't done that myself ( but also havent lost any screws) but I will now. Thanks for the tip
regards
Paul

2005 R12RT. I've lost about 3 screws, but they all were from me dropping them! I've never had one come out. I'd look to your tightening torque. Either not enough, or too much and the retainer is damaged.

Be careful with blue lock-tite as it can cause spider cracks in certain plastics. I don't know if the RT plastic is one of those, but I've just stopped using LT near plastics.

More grunt needed.

I never touched the rear fender screw that backed completely out, was sitting on a ledge under the seat, and has a metal bushing inserted into the screw hole. IMO that should have never backed out on a 2012.

The rest were in the fairing and were hand tightened by me with a decent T-25. Since I didn't strip out any of the backing clips I'll apply more torque. I have some spares so I think I'll strip one on purpose to train my "hands of stone". :laugh:laugh

I use a drill to remove all the screws for the plastic, goes faster. I also use the drill to put them back in with the torque set low then go back and hand tighten. Have not lost a screw nor damaged the plastic from too much torque. The factory didn't use a thread locker on the fairing screws so I don't either.

Pete
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Tight enough to put just a slight bit of flex in the j-nut makes it perform somewhat like a lock washer.

Back