• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Porsche 914/6 thread

I will try to dig out a photo of my GT. Will have to scan it, becasue it was taken before the digital era.

The GT was a version with steel flared fenders, intended to be for racing purposes. About 250 bodies were built by Karmann. Porsche added wider forged Fuchs wheels and upon special request, more powerful powerplants. Many cars remained street legal, when prepared to campaign in a certain race class in Germany. The limit for a displacement hike in the class my GT was in was up to 2.3L. The car was originally ordered by one of the largest porsche dealers in Germany, Raffay & Co in Hamburg.
There were many copies of GTs that had fiberglass flared fenders and even a few with metal flares. It takes some detailed knowledge to tell an original GT from an imposter...

The 916 was a "Super 914" which was supposed to be a 1972 model. It never reached production. Porsche showed it at the Paris Auto Show in September of 1971. It had a 2.4L motor and some say that a few even came with the 2.7L Carrera motor. It looked slightly different with a modified front bumper and metal flared fenders, like the GT and the roof was not removable, it was a solid metal part.They started to build dealer demos and the stories vary of the total number. Some say 20, some say only 11.
When the program was cancelled, the cars were sold to select dealers and "friends of the family". Only 1 or maybe 2 made it to the U.S. There was also at least one right hand steered unit, which appeared some 20 yers ago in an article in a British car magazine.
The owner of "Brumos Porsche'" in Florida received the only (or one of the two) 916 in the U.S. and that car was sold a few years ago for over $400,000.-

This here is pretty much like mine looked. I had Fuchs Carrera wheels for the street and changed to a set of Campagnolos for racing

Attachments

• 914-6 gt-1.jpg
    914-6 gt-1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 81
I bought a brand new 914/6 in 1970. Cost was $4800.
It was not a real practical car to own, but it is one of those cars I wish I had held on to.

I will try to dig out a photo of my GT. Will have to scan it, becasue it was taken before the digital era.

The GT was a version with steel flared fenders, intended to be for racing purposes. About 250 bodies were built by Karmann. Porsche added wider forged Fuchs wheels and upon special request, more powerful powerplants. Many cars remained street legal, when prepared to campaign in a certain race class in Germany. The limit for a displacement hike in the class my GT was in was up to 2.3L. The car was originally ordered by one of the largest porsche dealers in Germany, Raffay & Co in Hamburg.
There were many copies of GTs that had fiberglass flared fenders and even a few with metal flares. It takes some detailed knowledge to tell an original GT from an imposter...

The 916 was a "Super 914" which was supposed to be a 1972 model. It never reached production. Porsche showed it at the Paris Auto Show in September of 1971. It had a 2.4L motor and some say that a few even came with the 2.7L Carrera motor. It looked slightly different with a modified front bumper and metal flared fenders, like the GT and the roof was not removable, it was a solid metal part.They started to build dealer demos and the stories vary of the total number. Some say 20, some say only 11.
When the program was cancelled, the cars were sold to select dealers and "friends of the family". Only 1 or maybe 2 made it to the U.S. There was also at least one right hand steered unit, which appeared some 20 yers ago in an article in a British car magazine.
The owner of "Brumos Porsche'" in Florida received the only (or one of the two) 916 in the U.S. and that car was sold a few years ago for over $400,000.-

This here is pretty much like mine looked. I had Fuchs Carrera wheels for the street and changed to a set of Campagnolos for racing

Thanks,

Well I believe I have seen one..more than once. Racing in the IMSA series, at both Mid-Ohio & @ Sebring. Maybe even Road Atlanta, & others? Not sure if it was a "Brumos" car or not ? So I take it you remember the Hey-Day years of Peter Greg & Hurley Haywood !?....fond memories!

There is a yellow GT on ebay just now...bidding starting @ $12,000

There is also one [not noted to be a GT] with a SB Chevrolet in it ?

Thanks,

Well I believe I have seen one..more than once. Racing in the IMSA series, at both Mid-Ohio & @ Sebring. Maybe even Road Atlanta, & others? Not sure if it was a "Brumos" car or not ? So I take it you remember the Hey-Day years of Peter Greg & Hurley Haywood !?....fond memories!

Brumos used to have a couple of Gts. They were orange in color.
Do I remember Hurley..??? He used to like getting his picture taken with my wife...

Attachments

• Cindy&Hurley.JPG
    Cindy&Hurley.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 45
  • CindyHurley.jpg
    CindyHurley.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 45
There is a yellow GT on ebay just now...bidding starting @ $12,000

That's a replica. It isn't even a 914-6

The fiberglass GT flares have been grafted on to the car with an attention to detail . The flares are finished off with flared fiberglass rocker panel covers to finish out the gt look.

The drive train is the reliable stock 914-4 engine and transmission. The car has a 1.7L 4 cylinder with original D-Jet fuel injection.

Back