• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Current R1200GS rider going over to the dark side

lonestar2112

I currently own an '07R1200GS that I am keeping. I just sold my XR650L and I am now looking to acquire a GT. I am trying to figure out if a 1200GT would suffice or bite the bullet and spend the extra $ for a 1600GT.

About me; I am 6'6" tall, 36" inseam. My GS has a Russell on it that is 2" higher. Yes, 2" taller. At 250+ lbs, Magilla would be an apt description.

My riding; I find that riding 500+ mile days are normal. Multi 500+ miles days are becoming common. I camp off the bike, ride solo, and enjoy two lane twisty roads. I can do slab, but I much prefer to not ride on it. I would rather the ride take an extra 2 hours than ride slab. I ride out of SoCal to Texas often, trips to AK up coming, maybe trips to the east coast in the distant future.

My assumptions, I will need to buy a Russell for the GT, I will need to adjust the bars,I know that I will have to add extra lights (I like to be seen).

I have been active on the ADVrider site and I am just now coming over to more street oriented riding.

Thanks for your time and comments.

I'd go for the K1300GT, not the K12, if that is the direction you are headed. They got some more of the bugs worked out with the K1300GT. Don't have any experience with the 16's.

Back