• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75S '91 Brake warning light

plehman

When I use the front brake and the back brake together the warning light goes on. The same light that has always gone away once I tap the front and rear. Does not happen one at a time.

Leading up:
Burnt out the brake bulb. Easily replaced from the auto parts store.
Put in the bulb and when it didn't work I tried the fuse. Indicated on the box as Brems Schuss Licht. Cool. I assume that's Brake Stop Light auf Deutsch. Replace fuse and the brake light worked fine.

But on the way to work this morning after the above fix and I started seeing the warning light every time I use both brakes together. Very distracting.

The Pads are on the low side, but I don't think there is a pad wear warning light anyway.

Any ideas?
thanks!

Yes, new brake light works independently with both front and back, but when both are applied simultaneously the warning light also goes on. It's like it goes into the initial system check. Note this just started and doesn't happen with just front or just rear.

How does that initial warning circuit work?

Resolved

Wow, the Brake Monitoring Unit (BMU) really didn't like a bulb from Napa. Well the bulb worked but it triggered a fault in the system. I just went to Greater Boston Motorsport and bought a 10W brake light bulb ($1.27) and it now functions normally. I think that's fussy but glad it's resolved.

thanks very much for the tip.

Why would you put a 5w bulb or even a 10w bulb in the brake light when it calls for a 21w bulb???:dunno

The taillight calls for a 10w bulb.

No wonder it didn't work properly. The bulb monitor is resistance sensitive.

There are many cars that the same thing is true for. There are some that will render the cruise control inoperative if the incorrect bulb is used, even if it is the same wattage.

:dance:dance:dance

Why would you put a 5w bulb or even a 10w bulb in the brake light when it calls for a 21w bulb???:dunno

The taillight calls for a 10w bulb.

No wonder it didn't work properly. The bulb monitor is resistance sensitive.

Why would I put in a 5w when I know it calls for 10? Why would I go on forum if I knew everything? Not one but two shops, one a BMW shop thought you could put different watt bulbs in. Now I know it's resistance sensitive - that was my question. Not all bikes are. I thought the spirit of this forum was to learn.

Back