• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bmw is starting to suck

flatpic

52 days in the shop and still waiting for a part just one part the cam chain tensioner. This is unacceptable and will not recommend to anyone to get a BMW scooter.

Last edited:
Check the Lemon Law in your state. In some states unable to repair within 30 days may trigger the law.

p.s. Some useful information in your profile would help us help you.

I might wonder if they have effectively breached the warranty, Lemon Law or otherwise - talk to an attorney with specific Lemon Law knowledge in your state.

sounds not unlike when I got my first GL1100 goldwing....I bought it before the whole support network was in place at honda...that took over a year.

51 days in the shop and still waiting for a part just one part the cam chain tensioner. This is unacceptable and will not recommend to anyone to get a BMW scooter.

Aren't you waiting for a new engine? Your other post indicated that the chain became loose, skipped timing sprockets, and seemingly destroyed the valves and piston. Nevertheless, 51 days is still too long!

They fixed everything else with new parts new valves etc... there just waiting for one more part.

Flatpic
SoCal

I can get parts from Germany in 2-3 days. I wonder why they cannot?

I'm going to take a wild guess. The engine failed when the cam chain went slack because the hydraulic tensioner failed. I will further guess that BMW had a few replacement tensioners, but when they became suspect stopped shipping them in the supply chain pending either: a quality control review on the batch of tensioners; or, pending a new batch from a different source entirely.

They never talk much about this sort of thing but it happens - to BMW and other manufacturers too. For what it is worth they had tensioner problems on the Oilheads and changed the design for the left tensioner; they had problems on the F650 singles and changed the design and/or supplier. At least the new ones were visually and identifiably different. I have heard of a few problems on the 800 twins too.

One more part is not an excuse for a bike under warranty to be out of commission for months IMHO - if they cannot repair the bike in a reasonable period of time (and worse yet, can't even tell you when it will be repaired), you should be able to exercise whatever remedies are available under that warranty for their inability to fix it. Two months is patently unreasonable.

One more part is not an excuse for a bike under warranty to be out of commission for months IMHO - if they cannot repair the bike in a reasonable period of time (and worse yet, can't even tell you when it will be repaired), you should be able to exercise whatever remedies are available under that warranty for their inability to fix it. Two months is patently unreasonable.

Here is where both the dealer and BMW can step up and provide a loaner till they get the parts.

I would be mad as hell to have a new bike and have it sit for weeks and weeks.

Have you contacted BMW NA and told them you demand that they buy back the scooter since they cannot repair it and have failed to honor the warranty?

That guess about lousy cam tensioners in the mix somewhere is pretty reasonable and it does take a while to fix a supply problem like that, if it exists- especially if the item needed isn't a normally inventoried part for the supplier.
BMW has had more problems with cam chain tensioners than Paul noted- several more in fact. I own one- an 06 K1200GT where the original tensioner was a noisey mess that contributed to a bunch of chain skips and fragged motors- and its replacement part designed to stop the chain clatter is only a little bit better. They eventually added a jump guard to keep the noisey-at-startup chain on the gears. My motor is still intact at approaching only 30Kmiles- the bike has other issues (also bad design needing repair) so I ride it less than my other bikes until I can get to fixing it. The combined sum of all its flaws is one reason used K wedge bikes are typically cheaper than equivalent R bikes of the same vintage- which is fine for folks who can tolerate the work they take.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Due to a lapse of Federal Government funding, NHTSA is unable process safety defect complaints after close of business September 30, 2013. Consumers can continue to file complaints via this website, but they will not be evaluated by NHTSA staff until funding and services are restored.

At some point these guys will go back to work. Give them something to work on.

The real question is why is it so hard for BMW to make a hydraulic cam tensioner. And why is it tolerated at the company.

Bad Management

Rod

Engine made in Taiwan for BMW, best guess parts have to go to Berlin first then to USA. Still two months is a month too long, poor customer service
Thinking I would have a conference with dealer service and general manager, suggestion new bike or new engine air freighted from Berlin where they are assembled.

As i said in another forum: It's been a up and down heartbreak with my scooter, but in the end, BMW did the right thing and replaced my scooter with a new 2014 replacement scooter.

Thank you all for your support.

Joe

Interesting

A friend bought a Triumph trophy touring bike and at 25,000 miles a valve broke and bounced around the top end a little till he got it stopped and off the road. Triumph shipped the bike to his home town dealer and had a new motor assembly at the dealer in just over a week, bike was repaired and back on the road about 2.5 weeks after the incident. You have to wonder if BMW might just have a disconnect with good customer service on some things.

Back