• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member In Manitoba

beemerboy

Hi.I have recently come back into the motorcycle fold after a 27 year layoff due to studies, marriage, kids, work. I have had an old R69S Willis VW conversion in my garage ever since. I started to work on the clutch because it couldn't handle the torque of the VW engine. It ended up being a total rebuild.The engine is now 1835 cc with a 45mm Weber side draft on a custom manifold attached to dual port heads. It has never run with this engine.

I still don't have time to wrench it so I am looking for a mid 80"s or so R100RT. If anyone north of the medicine line has one, let me know.

Beemerboy

Welcome, and hope you find your bike.

Keep in mind that U.S. bikes that are older than 15 years are RIV exempt.

Last edited:
Riv

Say, Rinty.
How does all this RIV work? I know there are more scoots stateside than here. What is involved with bringing one over the medicine line?
Beemerboy

Welcome!

Hope you find what you are looking for.

When you do we need pics. :wave:clap

Say, Rinty.
How does all this RIV work? I know there are more scoots stateside than here. What is involved with bringing one over the medicine line?
Beemerboy

Transport Canada has contracted all U.S. to Canada motor vehicle import processing to Livingston International Inc., who operate under the name Registrar of Imported Vehicles. To make a very long story shorter, if you're importing an under 15 year old bike, at the time of import, the Canadian Border Services officer will have you pay a fee and fill out a form, which they send to RIV's office. You then take the bike to a motorcycle tech that you trust, who is also an authorized provincial inspection facility. They will help you comply the bike to Transport Canada standards, which basically is a daytime running light and a metric speedometer. You then take the bike to a Canadian Tire outlet (use one that your tech recommend), and they inspect it for compliance, and send their report to RIV. A few days later RIV will send you the sticker and a compliance letter. The tricky part of all this is getting a Recall Clearance Certificate from a dealer or the distributor that says there are no outstanding recalls on the bike.

The other thing to watch is that the U.S. border station where you intend to do the export requires 72 hours notice of your bike's arrival there.

But if you get a mid '80s bike, you don't have to do the RIV stuff, just your province's inspection requirements, which are less complicated.

There are tons of threads on this topic, just do some advanced searches under "RIV" in the Canadian sub forums here. If the search engine doesn't work, just use Google. Also, RIV's website is pretty easy to navigate.

Good luck.

Transport Canada has contracted all U.S. to Canada motor vehicle import processing to Livingston International Inc., who operate under the name Registrar of Imported Vehicles. To make a very long story shorter, if you're importing an under 15 year old bike, at the time of import, the Canadian Border Services officer will have you pay a fee and fill out a form, which they send to RIV's office. You then take the bike to a motorcycle tech that you trust, who is also an authorized provincial inspection facility. They will help you comply the bike to Transport Canada standards, which basically is a daytime running light and a metric speedometer. You then take the bike to a Canadian Tire outlet (use one that your tech recommend), and they inspect it for compliance, and send their report to RIV. A few days later RIV will send you the sticker and a compliance letter. The tricky part of all this is getting a Recall Clearance Certificate from a dealer or the distributor that says there are no outstanding recalls on the bike.

The other thing to watch is that the U.S. border station where you intend to do the export requires 72 hours notice of your bike's arrival there.

But if you get a mid '80s bike, you don't have to do the RIV stuff, just your province's inspection requirements, which are less complicated.

There are tons of threads on this topic, just do some advanced searches under "RIV" in the Canadian sub forums here. If the search engine doesn't work, just use Google. Also, RIV's website is pretty easy to navigate.

Good luck.

Essentially that is correct. Two things, one Manitoba specific, you need your Provincial MVI first before the Federal safety. The second one is a bit fuzzy; any VISIBLE instructions must be in both languages.

Good info on RIV

Thanks, all for the info.
So does the 72 hr requirement apply stateside regardless of the bike's age? I'm thinking so. Too bad that Oct is already here. I don't relish the idea of riding in sub zero temps to get a scoot home. When I lived in Calgary eons ago I would ride my Bonneville in January during a chinook. Not the brightest move but it was too tempting to resist. Don't think I would risk it now.

72 hours, cast in stone.

The US side demands the 72 hours and not so much as a minute before regardless of age/type of vehicle.

Thanks, all for the info.
So does the 72 hr requirement apply stateside regardless of the bike's age? I'm thinking so.

BB: I looked at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Service website, and do not see any exemption for older motor vehicles. The 15 year rule is Transport Canada's.

What CBP does is check for encumbrances and leases, and theft reports, on departing motor vehicles; thus their 72 hour processing time. If the motor vehicle is clear, the CBP officer will stamp the original certificate of title, but without that stamp, Canada Border Services will not process the import.

Back