• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ever watch the satellites?

Watched the Space Station pass over the house tonight........Even though I've seen it many times- still pretty cool.
OM

Satellite watching

Wave when you see them cause you KNOW they are closely watching you.

:wave

Fried

Nice view as the Space Station passed over in all it’s reflective glory this morning :)
OM

A friend of mine in Marquette, Michigan photographed an extremely rare satellite event. Details here.....https://www.facebook.com/1382796792...1452378095./10153491429739230/?type=3&theater

While staying in a little cabin at a motel west of Saint Ignace, Mi. Setting outside of cabin have a few beers , small campfire facing north saw a satellite, than another and another etc. satellites going west to east and east to west one after another thinking what is to the north and it came to me Canadians they are protecting us from Canada 🇨🇦.

I lived in North Central Oklahoma in the early 1970s. The local newspaper published a satellite timetable listing time, direction of travel and how high off the horizon to watch. It was the most exciting thing to happen after dark in Enid, OK. It was the only exciting thing to happen after dark in Enid.

Friedle

Just watched the Space Station make a pass. Perfect night and timing. Looked like a Buick going over at a hundred feet.
OM

We live 53 miles out of town, in the desert, at 3600 ft msl, in what is one of the least ight polluted locations in the United States. And have 330 suuny days and clear nights a year. So yes, we watch the sky a bit. In fact, we are going to the McDonald Observatory on Monday night to a star party of sorts.

If I lived where you do........I would seriously consider a skylight & a decent power telescope.

Well, with less travel, the sky’s are clearer- less pollution in the atmosphere. If your looking for something to do tonight- look up. It’s amazing what you can see :wave
OM

Satellites, shooting stars and UFO's

In 2016 I spent 3 months sailing from Capetown SA to Annapolis Maryland. It's amazing what you can see on a clear night in the middle of the ocean. Many shooting stars and a few satellites was a nightly occurrence on night watch. I think I saw a few UFO's also, but I'm not sure. I guess that's why there called UFO's.

This off the subject but I saw a once in a lifetime event for me one night on watch. It must have been a shooting star coming directly toward me from the direction I was looking. Of course it happened very quickly but it was just like a bright light coming toward me and then all of a sudden it went out. Ok, I feel better since I got that off my chest.

Been watching the sky, for satellites for years. Used to lay on the Baja beaches at night and watch them on our extended camping trips in the seventies. More recently (the last forty years), from hunting camp, in the ID mountains. Last summer at the Stanley Stomp (Grande Jean, ID), watched them while sitting around the campfire. First saw the ISS while attending the Chief Joseph Rally at John Day, OR, several years ago. Since then we've seen it several times from our front deck. Last night saw some of Elon's satellites (SpaceX Starlink satellites), a string of probably thirty, moving across the sky. Looks like there'll be many more before long. Very little light pollution here in the central ID.

Idaho beautiful

Been watching the sky, for satellites for years. Used to lay on the Baja beaches at night and watch them on our extended camping trips in the seventies. More recently (the last forty years), from hunting camp, in the ID mountains. Last summer at the Stanley Stomp (Grande Jean, ID), watched them while sitting around the campfire. First saw the ISS while attending the Chief Joseph Rally at John Day, OR, several years ago. Since then we've seen it several times from our front deck. Last night saw some of Elon's satellites (SpaceX Starlink satellites), a string of probably thirty, moving across the sky. Looks like there'll be many more before long. Very little light pollution here in the central ID.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I was in Idaho in Sept. 2019 on a 6 month RV trip....Idaho is a beautiful state and yes the sky is really clear once you get out in the boonies.

Where we live in the Texas Big Bend just northwest of Big Bend National Park and just east of Big Bend Ranch State Park is within an International Dark Sky Place.

See: https://www.darksky.org/our-work/conservation/idsp/

On any of the many clear sky nights (it is a desert) our view of the skies is truly spectacular. And when the ISS is going past somebody always posts the time and direction on local Facebook pages to alert folks to go out and watch it. Sometimes it gets lost among the illumination of a swirling Milky Way.

You do know don’t you, that when you are watching the satellites that they are watching you too. They are always watching.

You do know don’t you, that when you are watching the satellites that they are watching you too. They are always watching.

Of course. When I was in the Air Force 50 years ago they were watching then too. I thrust a finger skyward every now and then just to antagonize the watchers.

Ya know what else is up there?
The good ol' US of A has left 3 functioning "Cars" on the Moon!
What a guy thing, go up to the moon and drive around.
To bad they didn't have any females on those trips, coulda gone for a real Moonlight drive!
Maybe get lucky in the LEM just before night night time.

The Great Conjunction 12-21-2020

It's a big deal in the sky tonight.

Jupiter and Saturn will align in the night sky on Dec. 21 in an event astronomers call the "great conjunction" — also referred to as the "Christmas Star" — marking the planets' closest encounter in nearly 400 years.

When Saturn and Jupiter converge on Dec. 21, the two planets may appear as a bright point of light that will be easily visible in the night sky. The two planets have slowly been moving closer to each other over the past few weeks.

A conjunction occurs when planets appear incredibly close to one another in the sky because they line up with Earth in their respective orbits.

More here- https://www.space.com/great-conjunction-jupiter-saturn-christmas-star-2020-nasa-tips

MgXDTSAQ3vBCWNoKHoKtCM-970-80.jpg

I think I remember seeing this when I was younger :gerg

OM

It's a big deal in the sky tonight.

Jupiter and Saturn will align in the night sky on Dec. 21 in an event astronomers call the "great conjunction" — also referred to as the "Christmas Star" — marking the planets' closest encounter in nearly 400 years.

When Saturn and Jupiter converge on Dec. 21, the two planets may appear as a bright point of light that will be easily visible in the night sky. The two planets have slowly been moving closer to each other over the past few weeks.

A conjunction occurs when planets appear incredibly close to one another in the sky because they line up with Earth in their respective orbits.

More here- https://www.space.com/great-conjunction-jupiter-saturn-christmas-star-2020-nasa-tips

MgXDTSAQ3vBCWNoKHoKtCM-970-80.jpg

I think I remember seeing this when I was younger :gerg

OM

Saw it when you were younger?? Please share your secret to living 800 years!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back