• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ever watch the satellites?

In between the snow, the sky has been real clear- Outer Limits clear but no satellites. :dunno

In between the snow, the sky has been real clear- Outer Limits clear but no satellites. :dunno

My eyes don't work as well as they used to work, but in the winter with clear skies, it's usually easy to see the birds. Last time I really looked was at Meat Cove in Nova Scotia, lying on a picnic table. There were dozens of them.

When I was a kid we went outside to watch Sputnik (the first man-made satellite) go overhead. Later we were able to pick up its feeble radio beacon on our ham radio receiver. There wasn't much danger of Sputnik crashing into another satellite - it was the only one up there. Now the only thing that prevents satellite traffic accidents is that they are all going in the same direction, more or less. It's quite a junkyard, though.

pete
I've learned so much from my mistakes I think I'll make a few more.

Sputnik 1 burned up on 4 January 1958, as it fell from orbit upon reentering Earth's atmosphere, after travelling about 70 million km (43.5 million miles) and spending 3 months in orbit
....RIP Sput

Sputnik 1 burned up on 4 January 1958, as it fell from orbit upon reentering Earth's atmosphere, after travelling about 70 million km (43.5 million miles) and spending 3 months in orbit
....RIP Sput

Yeah, I remember watching Sputnik and Echo in the late 50's. You could see the stars in Boston too, no such thing as horrible light pollution in those days.

Conditions were good, got to see a couple of 'em while bringing in the firewood for the night :thumb
OM

Us too...right before the full moon came out saw 4 zip by. Helen wasn't quick enough with her Ipad to identify them with Starwalk.

Firewood?:stick sorry buddy

Satellite spotting

Riding my G.S. on Highway 50 (lonely highway) I spent the night near Austin in the desert watching the little Satellites shooting by.......very cool!:dance:thumb

"To the Moon Alice"

Giving a little more life to an old thread...

Tonight, clear sky willing, there will be a "super moon" (eclipse). This is sometimes called a blood moon due to the reddish hue that should accompany it. With a 13 moon showing this year, I find it all rather interesting. As there is a very good chance I won't be around to see the next on in the year 2033, I plan to take a look.
Here on the east coast, in the Northeast quadrant of roads hell uses as an example of "going too far", the lunar event should start just shortly after 8:00 PM.

5606e7bbc461885a118b4610.jpg

Plenty of info on this astronomical event

OM

A couple of weeks ago we were in Zion National Park and saw the space station go by

at around 9 PM.

Pretty neat stuff.

Yeah, we have sent a lot into space. While in New Hampster a month ago, I saw 13 satellites in about 40 minutes. The less light pollution, the better the viewing.
I hear that W. Texas is the best for viewing.
OM

Just saw the space station go over. Even through some breaking high clouds, the mass (around 450 tons) shines on through.
OM

Just caught it again- clear sky with a blinding reflection from the rising sun. Worth seeing.
OM

Three ISS "favorites" I use when indoors:
http://www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=25544#TOP
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iss-hdev-payload
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-iss-stream

The satflare.com site has a good graphic to predict the ISS path and visibility. Their live video stream has overlays to help identify ground features. The two ustream.tv video feeds usually offer two different views, inside, forward, rear, etc. It's not always clear what the interior experiments are about, and often there is little to see due to darkness, clouds or signal loss, but some of the views are outstanding.

Yeah, we have sent a lot into space. While in New Hampster a month ago, I saw 13 satellites in about 40 minutes. The less light pollution, the better the viewing.
I hear that W. Texas is the best for viewing.
OM

I remember watching a few on the cruiser Jouett in the middle of the Pacific. No light pollution at all and the added benefit of CIC telling us exactly where to look. :) It's incredible how many stars you can see out there!

Went over again this morning. I hope they are not lining me up for a "blue ice" drop :eek
OM

Well, if you like a "big" moon, tonights the night-

The supermoon (perigee full moon) on November 14, 2016, will bring the moon closer to Earth than it has been since January 26, 1948. What’s more, the moon won’t come this close to Earth again until November 25, 2034. That makes the November 2016 full moon the closest and largest supermoon in a period of 86 years!

Should you look for it on November 14? Yes! But be sure to look the night before as well – November 13. For many on Earth, the moon will be more “super” that night … although both nights will be awesome!

More info at Earthsky.org http://earthsky.org/tonight/closest-supermoon-since-1948

day-an-night-nov-14-2016-full-moon.jpg

OM

Back