Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Ohio traffic law takes a backward step

  1. #1
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,254

    Ohio traffic law takes a backward step

    For three months at the beginning of the year there was a lot of local news coverage about a change in Ohio law that allowed vehicles to proceed through red lights when a malfunctioning sensor failed to detect the presence of the vehicle. I've relied on that change a couple times since it took effect in March, proceeding with caution after sitting through several light cycles with no green light for my motorcycle.

    The subject came up in another forum, and I wanted to quote the current law, ORC 4511.132. I was surprised to find that there was a subsequent revision in April, such that only bicycles can proceed in the event a sensor does not detect the vehicle. This revision received NO publicity that I can find.

    Old and new language can be downloaded here, under the Documents tab.

    Be careful out there.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  2. #2
    So the expectation is that you sit there until a DOT repair truck arrives?
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    MOA 80364 | RA 29650 | ABC 3480 | IBA 8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

  3. #3
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    1,619
    Complain to whichever authority owns the traffic light, and be a PITA about it. Tell them the light won't trip for a motorcyclist and insist they correct that. Or just check for cops and proceed.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

  4. #4
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    644
    Carry an ultra bright LED flashlight capable of a tightly focused beam and shine it at the traffic light-that may trip it. Some googling should turn up a brand or three that will work. DAHMIKT.

    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  5. #5
    Registered User CABNFVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hendersonville, NC
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Carry an ultra bright LED flashlight capable of a tightly focused beam and shine it at the traffic light-that may trip it. Some googling should turn up a brand or three that will work. DAHMIKT.

    Best,
    DG
    Hmmmm, open the tankbag after placing the bike in neutral, turn on flashlight, aim at a target in bright sunlight, hope to hit tatget, maybe a good idea to look back at traffic from behind?, wait for light, aim again, GREEN! Try to get flashlight back in tankbag, zip tankbag, put bike in gear, run light that has already changed back to red. Got it!

    I think I'll just keep waiting a reasonable time and proceeding when clear.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

  6. #6
    FUKENGRUVEN SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    THE BIG SKY
    Posts
    6,525
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Complain to whichever authority owns the traffic light, and be a PITA about it. Tell them the light won't trip for a motorcyclist and insist they correct that. Or just check for cops and proceed.
    My advice as well. We seem to be fortunate in our area. I cannot recall the last time a light failed to cycle for me while on a bike.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  7. #7
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by CABNFVR View Post
    Hmmmm, open the tankbag after placing the bike in neutral, turn on flashlight, aim at a target in bright sunlight, hope to hit tatget, maybe a good idea to look back at traffic from behind?, wait for light, aim again, GREEN! Try to get flashlight back in tankbag, zip tankbag, put bike in gear, run light that has already changed back to red. Got it!

    I think I'll just keep waiting a reasonable time and proceeding when clear.
    Your passenger needs something to do.
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  8. #8
    Registered User mikesved's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    52
    GT:
    The only way the flashlight would work is if they are either using a camera trip or have specialized sensors (IR Strobe) that Emergency vehicle have. Most of OH still uses ground sensors/pressure plates to trip the lights. Even with the camera associated lights, unless I am misunderstanding how they work, a flashlight should not trip them.

    Mike

  9. #9
    Registered User CABNFVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hendersonville, NC
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Your passenger needs something to do.
    DG
    This reminds me of the time she was told that she "just sits there". Since we were at Deal's Gap at the time I asked Ike to grab his gear and we'd take a blast through the Gap. He donned his gear and as he was mounting his bike I stopped him and said "No, not your bike. You're riding with me." He declined the offer and never belittled my riding companion again.

    Photo by my Pillion. (not Deal's Gap, BTW.)
    Lean.jpg

    But back on track, a 1000 lumen flashlight has been on my short list for a while.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesved View Post
    GT:
    The only way the flashlight would work is if they are either using a camera trip or have specialized sensors (IR Strobe) that Emergency vehicle have. Most of OH still uses ground sensors/pressure plates to trip the lights. Even with the camera associated lights, unless I am misunderstanding how they work, a flashlight should not trip them.

    Mike
    Mike, actually, they're triggered by inductive loops in the ground (think metal detection). At most of these intersections, you might see square (2 1/2' x 6') sections where vehicles will sit. Depending on the timing algorithm, the software looks for "presence" on the loop to determine if vehicles are there or not.

    In a lot of cases, a motorcycle doesn't have enough metal mass to reliably force the loop into detection mode.

    I've sat at a lot of these things over the years. I haven't been pulled over yet.

    Regards, RPGR90s (former Engineer with FAPD, Automated Parking Systems)

  11. #11

    Sit On an Intersection of the Inductive Loop Wiiring

    A tip I read that does seem to assist triggering the inductive loop is to place the bike over an 'intersection' of the the wiring loop. Think corner or even better a center line segment. This is only doable if you can see the 'lines' of the loop. The bike symbols that have been stenciled at some lights are supposed to indicate where these more sensitive positions are located (when they aren't visible lines in the pavement).
    I have used this at locations where I never use to trigger the light and now my positioning almost always works.
    In my area I am frequently amazed at the number of cagers that don't know they need to be over the loops to trigger the light. Many pull too far over the stop line or for some reason remain 3/4 - a full car length before the stop line. I've had to walk up to them and ask them to move up.

  12. #12
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    12,113
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGR90s View Post
    Mike, actually, they're triggered by inductive loops in the ground (think metal detection). At most of these intersections, you might see square (2 1/2' x 6') sections where vehicles will sit. Depending on the timing algorithm, the software looks for "presence" on the loop to determine if vehicles are there or not.

    In a lot of cases, a motorcycle doesn't have enough metal mass to reliably force the loop into detection mode.

    I've sat at a lot of these things over the years. I haven't been pulled over yet.

    Regards, RPGR90s (former Engineer with FAPD, Automated Parking Systems)
    The newer intersections are using scene comparative software which is used to "see" a vehicle has arrived and sets the system in motion.
    Throw in an algorithm for the timing for certain times of the day, days of the week and your off.
    Loops or cameras, they depend on the situation being "optimal"

    In any case, when they do not detect traffic, the entity responsible for the intersection should make it functional. They should.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  13. #13
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGR90s View Post
    In a lot of cases, a motorcycle doesn't have enough metal mass to reliably force the loop into detection mode.
    Yes, but the loop would detect a motorcycle if a human would adjust the sensitivity of it to do so.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Similar Threads

  1. Step by step Passanger Powerlet install
    By roadcrave in forum Straight 6 K1600 GT/GTL/B
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 07:14 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 02:55 AM
  3. Bing Rebuild Step by Step
    By SPIQUARD141372 in forum Airheads
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 06:35 PM
  4. One step forward, two steps backward
    By podsobinski in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 06:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •