• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Black/Gold R100CS Roundel Faded or Intentional?

I was getting ready to strip the "faded' roundels off of my 1982 R100CS Black/Gold Mettalic paint. The outer ring and BMW look like they may be an intentional Gold color. Does anyone know if that is correct? I am afraid they may be impossible to replace if so, and they are in excellent shape, just thought they may be faded(yellowed)

Not sure this will help, but I just replaced my '86 R80 roundels. The old ones had a vinyl/plastique covering on the
actual logo and initially I was going to try to touch-up the old roundels with some vanish - figuring the varnish would
"take" and replicate the yellowing of the roundel. That didn't work so I removed the old ones with a hair dryer and dental floss. The first thing that came off each roundel was this plastique-type covering. I would have preferred the nuance of the old-school roundels although I suppose the years of sun and weather had deteriorated the covering. Underneath the covering were pristine roundels, but by then I had taken them totally off. Can't speak to the R100CS roundel specifically.

They are yellowed with age. You will like the fresh new look better. When I bought my 81 R100RT it was that way.

I bought my '82 R100 in '91 and the roundels were yellow then, but after 20+ years they are still the same shade of yellow. I thought it was factory for the early '80's. Over the years I bought a couple of used tanks for it and those roundels were also yellowed. :scratch

It's NOT factory. BMW would never diminish its trademark nor insult Bavaria by changing the color.

There's a better one available on the car side that has the lettering raised a bit. It's a wheel center.

Thanks for releasing all my doubts on the subject.:clap I have a new set of roundels but I was hesitant to install them, not wishing to disturb the patina on the tank. It is a high mileage, hard ridden bike that has seen plenty of rough usage with all the resultant rub marks, dings, and assorted scars from the p o's and my own mishandling. Now that the bike no longer doubles as a work truck, I got to thinking to upgrade to something a little less rough. I bought a nice looking similar tank sans the dings and rub marks off fleece bay, the roundels were the same shade of yellow, but it was rusted out on the interior. I am trying to repair it without disturbing the original paint as it is the correct paint code for my bike. It will look good with new roundels. ( I don't want to paint it because I doubt I could ever replicate the pin-striping. There is something about it that pleases my eye.) My '91 RT's roundels look as clear as though they were new. Which is one reason I thought it might be an engineered effect on the '82's roundels. After all, we all know those enginerrs don't make mistakes.;)

Back