• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Whats the deal on the R 850R

69zeff65

I'm picking one up a little later today and as part of the process to decide if I would buy one I looked around in the forum for any type of issue specific to that bike. Are they that rare, problem free or are most reluctant to claim ownership of a little R 850R?

Anyway any tips on what I should look for with this would be nice.

The 850 has, as far as I know, the same problems as the 1100. They are basically the same bikes with the 850 being built for European law requirements based on engine size.

They cost almost the same to produce and not very many were sold in the US. The lower HP output at a not much cheaper cost was the determining factor is US sales.

You have a point but???

I'm a glutton for punishment and I just couldn't pass up on a chance to get the bike back up and on the road. It's funny how the box of parts arrived about 30 minutes after I unloaded the bike and with any luck I will be slapping a plate on it Sunday.

Thanks for any and all input.

Pretty happy with my 850. Only issue I've had with it is whoever did the last oil change put the oil filter on too flippen tight. Only was to get it out was to spread lots of blankets on the ground and lay the bike down on its side, use sheet metal screws to secure wrench to filter and use a 24" breaker bar to get it loose.

Other than that, its been great.

d455146e-2348-4992-94da-145d14a58898_zps31198083.jpg

I have heard..they are fairly easy to convert to 1100 ? Anyone [really] know ? What I heard was bar-room talk from some "experts" :D

{If} true, then perhaps even 1150 / 1200? Depending how involved one wants to get. Given the much lower prices of them, and I've noticed lower miles on average, it might not be a bad way to go? I knew a guy who bought the last one a dealer had, that was going out of business. It was that medium green...He LUVS the thing !! Commuting, shorts rides, etc. Saves his RT for travel.

I have heard..they are fairly easy to convert to 1100 ? Anyone [really] know ? What I heard was bar-room talk from some "experts" :D

{If} true, then perhaps even 1150 / 1200? Depending how involved one wants to get. Given the much lower prices of them, and I've noticed lower miles on average, it might not be a bad way to go? I knew a guy who bought the last one a dealer had, that was going out of business. It was that medium green...He LUVS the thing !! Commuting, shorts rides, etc. Saves his RT for travel.

Head back to the bar and let all the "experts" know the easiest way to convert an 850 to an 1100 is to sell the 850 and buy an 1100.

They all have one right? :rofl Seriously though that's actually a pretty nice looking bike.

There are quite a few not immediately apparent differences between the R850 vs R1100
- 70HP vs 80-HP
- Smaller bore, same stroke
- Identical compression ratio (10.3:1)
- Motronic 2.4 vs 2.2 (so the 850 is smarter!)
- Hydraulic clutch vs mechanical
- 6 speed transmission vs 5 speed on 1100
- Both wheels are 17" on 850, 17" Front and 18" Rear on 1100
- Brakes are EVO system on 850 with different size rotors
- Partially integrated brakes on the 850, not so on 1100
- Almost same size tank, same fuel consumption on 850 at constant 90 km/hr (not going to save on gas with this puppy)

In some ways it seems more like an 1150GS than an 1100R.

I suspect the 850 could well be smoother than the 1100 with the smaller pistons going back and forth. The R80 is smoother than the R100.

Head back to the bar and let all the "experts" know the easiest way to convert an 850 to an 1100 is to sell the 850 and buy an 1100.

They all have one right? :rofl Seriously though that's actually a pretty nice looking bike.

There are quite a few not immediately apparent differences between the R850 vs R1100
- 70HP vs 80-HP
- Almost same size tank, same fuel consumption on 850 at constant 90 km/hr (not going to save on gas with this puppy)

Well then considering that?...if your info is accurate then it really wouldn't be hard to 'bump' one up ? Jugs & pistons...& ya get the 6 speed . My 99 RS had 17" tires on both ends.

"Seriously though that's actually a pretty nice looking bike."

Indeed,... the one in that pic, is darn nice looking!

R850r

I purchased an R850R, which I really like for several reasons. I have short legs and can stand upright on the bike. It is much lighter than my 07 1200RT and can handle it better. Good for everyday riding. Good prices on the older R850R's as well. Very happy with my purchase.

I suspect the 850 could well be smoother than the 1100 with the smaller pistons going back and forth. The R80 is smoother than the R100.

I'm not so sure. The R80 has a very heavy flywheel which gives it that built in inertia. It's over built and under powered. Not sure if that's the case with an R850.

In any case airheads and oilheads is apples and oranges. They are both boxers but so very different.

Well then considering that?...if your info is accurate then it really wouldn't be hard to 'bump' one up ? Jugs & pistons...& ya get the 6 speed . My 99 RS had 17" tires on both ends.

Since the stroke is identical you might be able to do it but why bother? Apparently it keeps up with an 1100 easily so why bother? According to a buddy due o gear ratios the RPMs on the 850 are several hundred higher at 60MPH on the 850 riding alongside an 1100. So you'd be spinning that crank faster and using more fuel to gain what? A little more oomph at take off and on hills? Seems the 850 is geared to take care of that already. I'd ride it as designed.

Since the stroke is identical you might be able to do it but why bother? Apparently it keeps up with an 1100 easily so why bother? According to a buddy due o gear ratios the RPMs on the 850 are several hundred higher at 60MPH on the 850 riding alongside an 1100. So you'd be spinning that crank faster and using more fuel to gain what? A little more oomph at take off and on hills? Seems the 850 is geared to take care of that already. I'd ride it as designed.

So then you've never added a seat pad?, bar risers ? windshield ? Some people like to see 'what if'? Nothing wrong with trying to improve , personalize ? {IMO}

Man wasn't designed to fly.. :nono..but we do...:D

Are you posting from personal knowledge or something else? The R850R sold in the US was equivalent to the R1100 technology-wise. There was also an R850R counterpart to the R1150R, and that is what you are describing but it was not sold here. I believe the OP is from the US.

- 70HP vs 80-HP

South West Florida to be exact

Right now the bike is a bit of a mess and it had sat in the back of the owners garage for the last 5-6 years. The two /5, /2, /6 and three modification projects got pushed aside to admit the emergency room candidate so it would not be a parted out. No pictures right now to protect patient privacy but when she's done and ready run the roads again the pictures will come out.

Thank you for the input I'm glad it is mostly positive and very helpful

So then you've never added a seat pad?, bar risers ? windshield ? Some people like to see 'what if'? Nothing wrong with trying to improve , personalize ? {IMO}

Man wasn't designed to fly.. :nono..but we do...:D

My comments were in regards to turning an 850 to an 1100. So we were talking about changing out pistons, cylinders and heads, not accessories. But to answer your question, yes, i have done all the things you describe and I see nothing wrong in personalizing a bike or improving it.

Are you posting from personal knowledge or something else? The R850R sold in the US was equivalent to the R1100 technology-wise. There was also an R850R counterpart to the R1150R, and that is what you are describing but it was not sold here. I believe the OP is from the US.

No, not from personal knowledge. I do have a riding buddy whose father in law owns one. It is for sale and out of curiosity I looked into it. They are kind of rare here in Canada too. He related the anecdotal RPMs at speed info to me. The specs I looked up as below.

Tech info on 850R: http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R850R.htm

Tech info on 1100R: http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R1100R.htm

Phil Hawksley's info site is based in the UK. It states the 850R was made from 94 to 01. Hard to imagine they made a different one with a different ECU, brakes, wheels etc etc for the USA only but I guess anything's possible.

Back