• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1987 K100RS- Rear Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit

tmwkicker

My rear master cylinder is losing a few drops of brake fluid each day, and my rear brake could definitely be more powerful. I was curious to know if anyone had used the rebuild kit that is available for these bikes. If so, how were the results?

Additionally, I see that there are 2 kits available: 12mm Magura and 13mm Magura. Can someone tell me which one would be the correct fitment for my 1987 K100RS?

Thanks!

IIRC - the size is marked in a circle. You probably have the 12mm if your bike has ABS. Using www.realoem.com with your VIN# should give you the correct part number.

As far as your other question.. it depends.

IF the brake fluid has been changed on schedule (every 24 months from date the bike was manufactured) it's possible your cylinder is still in good shape. Cleaning it up with some 1,000 grit paper (with brake fluid on the paper), then cleaning it up carefully might make it a good candidate for rebuilding.

IF the fluid hasn't been changed regularly - the cylinder is the lowest point in the rear brake system, and moisture will accumulate in the cylinder causing corrosion. Fixing that is beyond the scope of a cleanup. The corrosion usually leaves pits in the cylinder which will quickly destroy a new seal resulting in the same (or worse) leaking you now have. On a bike that the cylinders aren't available anymore, there are speciality shops (catering mostly to classic cars) that will bore the cylinder and fit a brass lining to it, but that's not cheap, and would likely cost more (with the rebuild kit) than a brand new cylinder.

Yours should be a 13mm, they didn't have ABS in 87, did they? this is from beemerboneyard.com

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-09-25 at 9.17.54 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-09-25 at 9.17.54 PM.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 65
FWIW, after I bought my K75, before I had my cycle endorsement, my rear MC was leaking. I asked about it where I bought my bike. The BMW dealer said they would fix it. They said there was a rebuild kit available, but didn't recommend it. They instead recomended a new MC.

Since it was their dime, I let them fix it their way.

I'm sure you will have other opinions, but I thought I'd take the time.

On the bottom of the MC is the number 12 or 13. Still available from BMW.

You have a 50/50 chance of success on a rebuild. Easier and safer to get a new one. Might check the hoses for age issues as well.

Beemerboneyard has complete new master cylinders for $129.

On K100s, 13mm was used to 10/88. 12mm after 12/88.

:dance:dance:dance

Back