• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'94 K1100LT Thermostat Bad????

1der

I think my thermostat on my "94" K1100LT is not working. Temp gauge raises and then fluid squirts out the vent hole on the reservoir cap. I took out the thermostat, put it into 185 deg. water and it did not open until the temp reached 200. So I'm thinking it could be a bad thermostat. Someone mentioned that it could be the cap. ????? Fluid is getting back into the reservoir so how could the cap be bad???? Does anyone know if a generic (non BMW) would work and which one? Taking a trip to New England in 2 weeks.

Does your fan function properly?

Is the radiator full AT THE RADIATOR CAP (underneath the front of the gas tank)?

Is the hose between the radiator cap and the coolant overflow tank cracked?

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks for the redirect.

Yes the fan comes on.
Radiator IS full at the cap.
No the hose to the over flow container not cracked. Expansion fluid goes back INTO reservoir tank when it gets hot.

When the gasket in the radiator cap for my '93 K1100RS was deformed, it would allow fluid past prior to the cap actually opening to allow fluid into the overflow, which filled up and spewed out. This only happened when I stopped....but as I was on a trip to Colorado from Sacramento, that was a real pain. It did exactly as you describe. The temporary fix was to remove the gas cap, pull that gasket and flip it over. This solved all my problems. Though, I picked up a new gasket (or maybe new cap with gasket, but I doubt that) when I got back home. And, no, a generic cap would not do. The cap is designed for a specific pressure to build up before it lets fluid past. If the generic cap does not open at the appropriate pressure, you could have a bigger and more expensive mess on your hands. You might also flush out all the dust and bugs stuck in the raditor by using a hose from the rear....that helps keep the radiator cooling as it should.

Back