• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

where does this ground strap attach?

roostershooter

motorcycle cowboy
Doing some wiring on my 2004 RT and found this ground strap unattached. Several years ago I had the headlight assembly replaced under warranty and I wonder if the tech overlooked it. You can see wear marks on the washer so I feel confident that it was attached at some point. The bike has no electrical issues. The picture is of the left dash right where the speaker is located.

Attachments

• gs3.jpg
    gs3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 116
I don't know. But there are probably only one or two good ground locations it will reach. As long as you are positive it is a ground wire, pick one and hook it up.

I don't know. But there are probably only one or two good ground locations it will reach. As long as you are positive it is a ground wire, pick one and hook it up.

Well, I wouldn't gamble any money on it being a ground strap, but what else could it be? The other attached end is in the back ground.

It is clearly a ground strap - woven, and uninsulated. Find a good chassis ground and hook it up, unless the other end is a good chassis ground. If it is, then you need to find the subassembly it is intended to ground. What is the other end hooked to?

It's tough getting old. Now I remember. This bike is pre wired for a radio, has (had) the antenna attached to the left front. I took it off because the plastic mount was broken. Ground strap was attached to the antenna base.

It's tough getting old. Now I remember. This bike is pre wired for a radio, has (had) the antenna attached to the left front. I took it off because the plastic mount was broken. Ground strap was attached to the antenna base.

Pre wired for radio takes grounding from antenna to faring stay. I have the same thing on a 03 set up for a radio.
Don't you just lov this board...
:wave

Back