• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Rear end and trans oil change, what's the schedule? 2007 R1200R

rapiddog

Barback King
2007 R1200R

I've had both an '05 GS and RT, plus several other oilheads and maintained them all myself.
It occured to me this R though maintained by a dealer up to 11K, doesn't show any fluid swap on the rear end or tranny.

This being the later gen hexhead (as oppose to the '05 bikes), what;s the word on gear oil and when and if to change it?
I see that the rearend has a drainplug so I'm assumiong it's probably in need at 15K.

Last edited by a moderator:
new to BMWs....but i plan on changing the motor, gearbox and final drive lubricants on my 2013 R1200RT every 6000 miles....cheap insurance that...

just completed the service at 6012 miles and 11 weeks of ownership...:)

wyman

If you don't have the BMW service DVD--and you should if you intend to do ANY mechanical work on your bike--you can at least find the schedules at A&S BMW's website under resources.

Only if you do it yourself is it cheap anything...

One accepted practice for the FD is every 12K or so though lube removed this frequently will be only modestly discolored. Remember that bearings are external on the newer drives. I do mine when I change the rear tire which works out to about 11K for mostly touring use of a PR3 on mine.The lube is cheap for 6 oz and it only takes 5 min if you're working on that end anyway.

I do engine oil every 7-8K and that's more than one would do if you went by oil analysis and used best quality modern lubes. Even my diesel goes a lot further on factory recommendation and its a lot harder on oil than the boxer motor with its relatively large oil capacity (for a bike), separate tranny so little shear, and very little blowby and combustion junk getting into the oil

Tranny is 24K but that's pretty conservative.

Your manual will tell you BMW's recommendations. It PROBABLY says - engine oil every 6,000 miles unless severe service (lots of short trips, winter riding, or very dusty conditions) in which case they would cut that in half.

Transmission and final drive: 24,000 miles or every two years.

What I do: Engine oil at 6K. Transmission 24K or two years. Final drive - with engine oil at 6K.

I know the lube is fine in the FD, but I want to inspect the magnet for the earliest sign of a problem. This applies specifically to R11xx and K75/100/1100/1200 drives with the bearings in the oil. The big hole drives I would change per BMW specs - probably 24K 2 years, but look it up.

Who Uses Castrol SAO

or BMW Transmission and FD synthetic. I prefer the BMW because it is very clear when I change it out with each new rear tire and I can look for metal in the oil.
Had the dealer change FD oil last time and they used the Castrol. Wasn't that supposed to be the lifetime oil when the new FD's came out?

Oil every 10K..Amsoil 15W-40 Marine and Diesel

Tranny and Final every 20K...Amsoil 75W-90 Severe Gear Final, 75W-140 Severe Gear Tranny

FYI, Land Rover uses Castrol SA-XFO in one of their suv's . I bought my supply from a Land Rover dealer for less than $7 a quart. They have a chart at the parts counter that will identify which part number is SA-XFO (it doesn't say it on the bottle).

I have found that my FD and gear case oil starts to get dark at around 10000 km's or 6000 miles and thats when I change them. Doesn't necessarily mean they are bad, but not expensive to do myself so why not ?

Back