• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to gut a Cat. **Warning, very graphic**

twins4life

I can no longer order Staintune, my bike is a discontinued model so I decided to see if I could remove the CAT element from the stock muffler.

Several cuts in the wrong places and I finally found where to remove the sheet metal to get at the CAT element. The steel is VERY thick, I used a 1/16" grinding disk. My welder is very good and he assures me he can weld it back. If I had known where to cut I would have only needed one cut. Oh well.

Hopefully someone else can benefit from my experiment.

Attachments

• DSC00840.JPG
    DSC00840.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 583
That's great. My only question is: Why? Can you not get the "newfangled" unleaded gas down there or do you just figure reducing pollution is everyone else's responsibility? :dunno
Is your R bikes ECU smart enough to compensate for the reduced back pressure? A staintune is designed to run without a cat, your OEM exhaust, not so much. Chances are you'll just make your bike run worse and get poorer mileage.

unleaded gas, check.

The environment will do just fine if my bike has no CAT. The ECM will adjust just fine, trust me. CAT's arent even required on these bikes.

A CAT is the worst piece of engineering junk ever put on an engine aside from EGR.

I've almost lost an otherwise good engine to a broken CAT and know two others who have lost engines to clogged or broken CATs. Wonder if the "benefit" of running CATs outweighs the loss of power (exhaust restriction), increased engine heat, loss of MPG, and the damage to the environment from manufacturing engines to *replace* the two (that I know of) engines that were destroyed when the CAT elements broke and clogged up the exhaust pipe?

Be careful of being brainwashed by the greenies. I wonder if Mt St Helens had a particulate filter installed before the eruption. Did the planet die because of the billions of metric tons of chloroflorocarbons that were released during that ONE eruption????? Well I guess my one can of R-12 is really a doomsday weapon.

I wont allow a CAT or EGR device to function on my property and have 100,000s of happy-engine miles to prove it.

Go search this out: What is the only market where BMW runs closed loop, O2 sensor - CAT fuel management??? And what is the only market that BMW has surging problems?

I like my engines therefore CATs and EGR go away. The spotted owls and other such critters will just have to get over it.

GUT YOUR CAT!

twins4life said:
Be careful of being brainwashed by the greenies. I wonder if Mt St Helens had a particulate filter installed before the eruption. Did the planet die because of the billions of metric tons of chloroflorocarbons that were released during that ONE eruption????? Well I guess my one can of R-12 is really a doomsday weapon.

sigh.

running the risk of sounding like a "greenie" for using actual science and logic, allow me to state the following:

- around 540 million tons of ash fell to the ground as a result of the eruption in 1980. that's about 490 million metric tons. that's just ash. i am skeptical that an order(s) of magnitude more mass of gas, let alone chloroflourocarbons were ejected because....

- mt. st. helens doesnt spew chloroflourocarbons. of course this is an even more interesting thing to be talking about because...

- neither does your BMW.

interestingly enough, the "greenies" posit that the greenhouse gases, and the hole in the ozone layer that may or may not have been created by volatile chloroflourocarbons contributes to global warming, along with SOX and NOX. volcanic eruptions, particularly the ash-y ones, contribute to global *cooling* more than global warming.

come on man, youre making texas look bad. dont pretend to be scientific. just say, "i cut out my cat because i wanted to." and leave it at that. much more defensible position, and it doesnt expose your right and left flank, as well as front and rear, to reasoned, scientific rebuttal.

and all people that think emissions controls are for sissies should be forced to spend one year in mexico city.

ride safe.

Ok you got me, I didnt do well in chemistry... But I do remember reading about the ozone harming gasses that were released, sulfer, co2 (carbon monoxide?) etc. Lots more than just ash came out.

Texas looks bad already because of what we sent to the White House (to lots of folks.)

Mexico City, I've been there, has bad pollution (IMO) due to the number of 1960's,oil burning vehicles and open fires (restaurants - homes) and just sheer overcrowding.

Ok, I'll admit it: "I just hate CATs and EGR". Every engine I have disabled such systems on has run better.

We got rid of the biggest problem a long time ago, LEAD in the fuel and over-rich running engines. Better control of ignition timing and such have gone a long way. I just think we are to the point of diminishing returns now. When a CAT fails and causes an engine to overheat and sieze, a replacement engine must be built, at a cost to the environment. When an EGR valve gums up and sticks open, MPG goes WAY down. So which would be better: maximize life span and efficency or minimize emissions at the cost of MGP and service life?

That is where I am at, believing that maximizing MPG and service life is better for the environment (in the long run) than simply minimizing emissions at the cost of effiency (MPG) and service life.

"...Human use of coal, oil, and natural gas has not measurably warmed the atmosphere, and the extrapolation of current trends shows that it will not significantly do so in the foreseeable future. It does, however, release CO2, which accelerates the growth rates of plants and also permits plants to grow in drier regions. Animal life, which depends upon plants, also flourishes.

As coal, oil, and natural gas are used to feed and lift from poverty vast numbers of people across the globe, more CO2 will be released into the atmosphere. This will help to maintain and improve the health, longevity, prosperity, and productivity of all people.

Human activities are believed to be responsible for the rise in CO2 level of the atmosphere. Mankind is moving the carbon in coal, oil, and natural gas from below ground to the atmosphere and surface, where it is available for conversion into living things. We are living in an increasingly lush environment of plants and animals as a result of the CO2 increase. Our children will enjoy an Earth with far more plant and animal life as that with which we now are blessed. This is a wonderful and unexpected gift from the Industrial Revolution..."

http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p36.htm

This wont make the news.

Being "GREEN" killed the Columbia crew.

http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/people/journals/space/katnik/sts87-12-23.html

"...As soon as the orbiter was approached, light spots in the tiles were observed indicating that there had been significant damage to the tiles..."

"...Because of NASA's goal to use environmentally friendly products, a new method of "foaming" the external tank had been used for this mission and the STS-86 mission. It is suspected that large amounts of foam separated from the external tank and impacted the orbiter. This caused significant damage to the protective tiles of the orbiter..."

This foam seperation, which damaged the Columbia was directly due to a process change to be "GREEN"

twins4life said:
This wont make the news.

don't watch the news. that's probably the biggest mistake you can make. to actually learn, and know things, and form well-balanced and thought-out opinions, you're going to have to do a lot of work. youre going to have to read. youve made a good start.

go off and do a little more research. give the greens a chance, just for grins, and read what they have to say. it won't kill you to learn the arguments and beliefs of those you oppose. if yours are so steadfast and well-constructed, then you should be able to withstand whatever they have to say. (chances are that you will find plenty of sensible things, and that you will have a lot in common with the people involved. cross the battlefield and the enemy looks a lot like we do!)

1. learn what eats ozone. it isnt CO.
2. learn the difference between the effect of greenhouse gases and the hole in the ozone layer. they are not the same phenomenon.
3. lead in gasoline is bad for people, not the atmosphere. that's why we took it out - we were able to prove a SHORT TERM deleterious effect on humans. hey, if it doesnt cause a catastrophe in ten years or less, we dont fix it. and if it involves a whole bunch of complicated stuff, then it must be wrong, because most americans jacked off in high school and didnt learn basic concepts of math, probability, science, and history.

the earth, and the environment, are going to be just fine. they will adapt to whatever we throw at it. we could nuke the earth till the oceans boiled, and some from of life would adapt and survive. would it be humans? local environments and the earth will change. the climate will change. let's face it, these things have been changing for various reasons since god created the earth and buried all the fake dinosaur fossils 6,000 years ago. if they change rapidly or substantially, then the cost of being human will increase, a lot. go do the math on the impact of sea level rising by five feet.

sometimes we wonder why people get so pissed about things. go live near a coal plant, a strip mine, a clear cut forest, a pumped-dry aquifer, a toxic waste dump, or a farmed-to-death, eroded plot of land. don't make any money from it. live there your whole life.

on your vacations, go talk to really old people that live in pittsburgh, pa, and ask them about the air quality changes there in the past 50 years. give them the choice to go back to the old way. go talk to old people in cleveland and ask about the stuff dumped into the cuyahoga river. go to baltimore and ask about the harbor there. go hang out on the coast of lake erie and talk to some old people about the fish they USED to catch. go to syracuse, new york and ask some folks about the lake there in town. go to the pacific northwest and ask about salmon species and populations. go to the grand banks and ask fisherman about fish populations.

go get a list of the lakes and rivers from which it is considered unsafe to eat the fish that one may catch there.

go read of list of foods that are not advised for pregnant women because they contain mercury, or pesticides, or hormones.

go to a stockyard and stand downwind and watch 100,000 head of cattle wallow in their own filth prior to being processed. (step inside and see how well they clean them.)

living in clean manicured suburbs and shiny well-lit cities separates us from these realities. i'm not saying to go live in the woods and rub dirt in your hair, but educate yourself on how our current lifestyle impacts the enviroment. when youve got notonly some facts, but some first-hand experience, make a choice. at least if you put your head in the sand, you'll know what you're doing.

not all environmentalists are maniacs. not all industrialists are maniacs. it's the moderate people, the wise ones, the ones in the middle that seek balance who will develop the ways for us to maximize the thrill of being alive with the resources necessary to provide that thrill. strive to be one of these people!

enjoy life, but be responsible. imagine the planet as a big campsite - work hard to leave it the way you found it, or better than you found it.

we don't leave the world to our children, we borrow it from them.

The spotted owls and other such critters will just have to get over it.

Oh man... I love it.... Screw "Politically correct"... :stick

Anyway, I did the same, for a little more money and a little less work, on my R1100R by installing a Two Bros exhaust.. Runs like a champ, and last time I looked, I had less smoke from my BMW than I do from my old Kawasaki KDX 200 and chain saws.. Both of which are 100% legal in the United States of America. :clap

Ok.. Now I need to go back to work on my next Paper Machine repairs... Got a problem with paper companies?? Tell me about it while you sit on the toilet..

Paper said:
Got a problem with paper companies?? Tell me about it while you sit on the toilet..

confucious say: paper will only shake hands with username once.

;) :D

I must admit you are a very good writer....

username said:
don't watch the news. that's probably the biggest mistake you can make. to actually learn, and know things, and form well-balanced and thought-out opinions, you're going to have to do a lot of work. youre going to have to read. youve made a good start.

go off and do a little more research. give the greens a chance, just for grins, and read what they have to say. it won't kill you to learn the arguments and beliefs of those you oppose. if yours are so steadfast and well-constructed, then you should be able to withstand whatever they have to say. (chances are that you will find plenty of sensible things, and that you will have a lot in common with the people involved. cross the battlefield and the enemy looks a lot like we do!)

1. learn what eats ozone. it isnt CO.
2. learn the difference between the effect of greenhouse gases and the hole in the ozone layer. they are not the same phenomenon.
3. lead in gasoline is bad for people, not the atmosphere. that's why we took it out - we were able to prove a SHORT TERM deleterious effect on humans. hey, if it doesnt cause a catastrophe in ten years or less, we dont fix it. and if it involves a whole bunch of complicated stuff, then it must be wrong, because most americans jacked off in high school and didnt learn basic concepts of math, probability, science, and history.

the earth, and the environment, are going to be just fine. they will adapt to whatever we throw at it. we could nuke the earth till the oceans boiled, and some from of life would adapt and survive. would it be humans? local environments and the earth will change. the climate will change. let's face it, these things have been changing for various reasons since god created the earth and buried all the fake dinosaur fossils 6,000 years ago. if they change rapidly or substantially, then the cost of being human will increase, a lot. go do the math on the impact of sea level rising by five feet.

sometimes we wonder why people get so pissed about things. go live near a coal plant, a strip mine, a clear cut forest, a pumped-dry aquifer, a toxic waste dump, or a farmed-to-death, eroded plot of land. don't make any money from it. live there your whole life.

on your vacations, go talk to really old people that live in pittsburgh, pa, and ask them about the air quality changes there in the past 50 years. give them the choice to go back to the old way. go talk to old people in cleveland and ask about the stuff dumped into the cuyahoga river. go to baltimore and ask about the harbor there. go hang out on the coast of lake erie and talk to some old people about the fish they USED to catch. go to syracuse, new york and ask some folks about the lake there in town. go to the pacific northwest and ask about salmon species and populations. go to the grand banks and ask fisherman about fish populations.

go get a list of the lakes and rivers from which it is considered unsafe to eat the fish that one may catch there.

go read of list of foods that are not advised for pregnant women because they contain mercury, or pesticides, or hormones.

go to a stockyard and stand downwind and watch 100,000 head of cattle wallow in their own filth prior to being processed. (step inside and see how well they clean them.)

living in clean manicured suburbs and shiny well-lit cities separates us from these realities. i'm not saying to go live in the woods and rub dirt in your hair, but educate yourself on how our current lifestyle impacts the enviroment. when youve got notonly some facts, but some first-hand experience, make a choice. at least if you put your head in the sand, you'll know what you're doing.

not all environmentalists are maniacs. not all industrialists are maniacs. it's the moderate people, the wise ones, the ones in the middle that seek balance who will develop the ways for us to maximize the thrill of being alive with the resources necessary to provide that thrill. strive to be one of these people!

enjoy life, but be responsible. imagine the planet as a big campsite - work hard to leave it the way you found it, or better than you found it.

we don't leave the world to our children, we borrow it from them.

And to the extent that really "rational" decisions are being made...I support your thought process...yes, I have lived in Pittsburgh, and I have spent sometime in packing plants...as an inspector, I might add.....and if we(the collective WE) could share in the process of making the important enviornmental decisions affecting us all...I believe there would be more support for the outcome.....but oxygenated fuel in CA, 55 mph speed limits, bullshit trade offs in polution credits, freon elimination, global warming from fossel fuel, and many more of the back room negotiated deals that are frequently very FAR FROM SCIENTIFIC FACT,

Why can't there be some longer term rational thinking applied to these WE problems...and whatevrthe outcome...have it implimented in a rational (not political) way....

Maybe in my kids lifetime......

Sigh.....

The patient lives!

Access panel welding went VERY smooth, looks good too.

Runs fine with the O2 sensor connected or open loop (Techlusion).

Has a nice low sound but VERY quiet.

Much more WOT and top end power.

It was a good decision to operate and much less than buying an aftermarket muffler.

Back