• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1998 R1100RT Evaporative Emissions System

OK - Thank You

I plumbed it all up today based on what knowledge I had found so far.
Based on Anton's thread, I may have it wrong. Perhaps I should have inspected the charcoal canister more carefully, I saw no markings.

Currently I have at least 1 original pre-formed hose....it has about a 2" diameter square "U" shaped on one end. I installed that on the front of the Purge valve making the "U" take it up and then toward the back. From there, I rerouted the other end of the hose across the frame and forward to the area in front of the air cleaner. At the front of the air cleaner (right) I inserted a TEE.....from the tee the hose is split down to each TB
The back side of the purge valve connects up to another formed hose.
From the back of the purge valve the hose goes into a purpose built hole in the frame, makes a 90 deg. turn, goes across the back of the relay box and makes another 90 deg. turn (down) and ends just above & forward of the charcoal canister. I added a union there and connected that hose to the center port on the canister.
The hose coming back from the (in)tank vapor line is connected to the top port on the charcoal canister.
The 3rd (bottom port of the canister is routed to road dump at the rear master cylinder linkage.
The other tank hose from the fill cap area is also routed to the same overboard dump function.

Currently, If I have guessed correct, Flow goes from the tank to the top port of the canister. From the center port of canister - across to the frame to the back side (inlet?) of the purge valve. Through the purge valve (when activated) out the front side of the purge valve, around the "U" curve, back across the frame and forward to the throttle body vacuum source.

I'll be waiting anxiously for as many detail photos as I can get to learn if I have to pull the fairing sides back off & make changes.

As I read the posts, On respondent says the purge valve should go between the fuel tank vapor line and the inlet of the canister.
Currently I have it between the outlet of the canister and the purge vacuum source (throttle bodies)

The directional arrow on the purge valve clearly shows it should flow from the back to the front.

I haven't had any opportunity yet to view a Clymer published manual to see if it might include this system???? Anyone know?

Thanks, Ibjman
I am not at all sure about having the bottom port of the charcoal canister dumping overboard.

Thank You

Well, The only piece of useful info. seems to indicate that the fuel vapor line from the tank should connect to the center port of the canister????

I'll have to tear the fairing side off again tomorrow & re-inspect. I believe I have the fuel tank routed to the top port.

Also, I just viewed a U-tube video where a guy showed how to tear the system out (great technician, what a butcher!).......His video appears to show the purge valve installed 180 deg. from what I have. It does show the OEM purge hose set up......wish I had one of those original Zee hoses (not serviced at BMW).

His set up looked OEM........I'll have to have another look at that arrow on the valve too.

Still need more photos....especially showing the correct connections to the canister.
Thanks, Ibjman

No, that isn't right at all for an R1100RT.

Tank (without XXX) to canister FT spigot
E spigot to solenoid to T-fitting to throttle bodies
Last spigot (forget the letter) to ground; it's a drain.

I'll get pix one of these days.

This is from memory but I think:

The canister has three spigots: 1 large and two small.

The tank has a large spigot.

Each throttle body has a small spigot.

The valve on the left side by the seat has an in and an out.

Connect the tank vent to the valve in.
Connect the valve out to the canister big spigot.
Connect each of the small canister spigots to the throttle bodies.

Make sure the electrical connection to the valve is hooked up and clean.

If the spigot count fails to match, then I am wrong. It sometimes happens.

If the canister has only one small spigot then it goes to a T and then the throttle bodies.

We are just moving air here.

They key thing is to make sure you have the correct line coming from the fuel tank. You want to figure out which one is the filler neck drain and which is the overflow/vent line. Use the Overflow/vent line to the cannister. Here's how it is plumbed:

canniste.jpg

For reinstallation purposes, that diagram could be FAR better.

Their hose G meets the canister at canister mark FT.
Their hose E meets the canister at canister mark A
Their hose D meets the canister at canister mark E
Their hose H connects to the hose marked X-X-X

OK thanks

I have that hand drawn diagram. I believe that I may have it connected correctly.

There is still a question about which way the purge valve is to be installed and the significance of the "Arrow" imprinted on the valve. I assumed it was for direction of flow through the valve, but one online video seems to show the valve installed with the arrow pointing aft. Who knows?
I'm still hopeful for some detail photos so that I can verify the installation direction of the valve + tidy up the routing arrangement of the various hoses.
currently I appear to have the vacuum hose from the purge valve to the throttle bodies connected correctly but routed incorrectly.
I hope to have it look as close to original as possible with all the proper clips and clamps in the correct locations.
Best case scenario: I will someday be able to find some of the original pre-formed hoses that SOOOOO many other uses have since removed.
Someone has these laying on a shelf collecting dust in their shop!
Thanks, Ibjman

Back