• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

When is it too cold for you to ride?

I ride no matter what the temps are. I have no other vehicles but my bikesSnow Tires 008.jpg. I have two LT's & one has studded knobbies on it in the winter. Last year I finally got heated gloves & socks for my 700 mile ride to Michigan for Christmas.

You can take of the body, what about the other stuff?

I am the master at keeping warm. A good portion of my career was in the high Arctic when we had 24 hours of no sun. Not cloudy either, about noon, you could see this little glowing ball rise and fall in about 20 minutes, that was as close to daylight as it got. Cold? I could tell stories about the cold.

It's also about the bike. Tires sure aren't great in those temperatures. I was never a believer in winter tires, always thought it was marketing hype. Now I'm a believer. I think the warm-up of lubes on the bike has an affect as well.

It's also about the mind/brain. It takes more energy for the mind/brain to overcome the cold. In my opinion, the mind/brain slows your reflexes to make sure your body is conserving energy.

I'm just adding some out loud thoughts to see what comes back.

For sure, with cold weather riding, the tires are hard at first (takes a mile or two to soften in my area) and the tranny is stiff. Shocks are rough, and the whole bike acts differently. It certainly is different, the mindset that is encountered, and not for everyone, I suppose. Battery needs to be tip-top shape. Depending on how cold it is, I will sometimes go out and take the bike for a spin on my lunch break. There are different hazards to watch out for, but it is exhilarating.

Not the temperature, but the road

I will ride in cold weather but when the roads might have frost or ice, my motorcycle sits. I even will sit for a while when it has not rained for a while and there is lots or rain: let the rain was off the oil before I ride in the rain.

Good point. I try to stay off the roads the first good rain of the season. The rain gutters filling with a frothy oil/water mix is my sign to stay home. As for cold... it doesn't get that cold here. Low thirties, maybe the upper 20s is about as cold as it gets and when it is that cold its plenty dry. I'll ride, but turn up the heated gear a notch or two. This year, for the first time, I'll have heated gloves to go with my heated liner. Watch it be a warm winter :D

When is it too cold for you to ride and why?

For me it is not about the temperature necessarily, but rather it is about road conditions. Like most others have said, I have good heated gear and a good protective bike so I can ride comfortably enough down into the 20s. However, if there is a hint of moisture then I am in the car for safety's sake.

For me it is not about the temperature necessarily, but rather it is about road conditions. Like most others have said, I have good heated gear and a good protective bike so I can ride comfortably enough down into the 20s. However, if there is a hint of moisture then I am in the car for safety's sake.

+1 I won't ride if there's a possibility of ice on the road.

40F and rising with the sun shining and I'm good. I don't ride more than once a week, and fortunately that weather occurs often enough during the winter in Northern Virginia to keep me happy.
Mark

I've had my fair share of challenges riding in the cold. When I was younger and stuff didn't hurt so much, I would ride in the snow. Now, wet leaves in the fall, leftover sand in the spring, too much risk for me.

The people in the boxes tend to bundle up, blast their heaters and turn up the volume as the temp drops. You will see them pull their toques over their foreheads and ears in the cars, making themselves little cocoons in their space and you can make damn sure, they don't see you or even care.

There is no doubt, cool fall or spring mornings on a nice ride is awesome. I just find that to get there, you need to get past all the hazards first.

One of the reasons I posted this was to bring about some thoughts and positive discussions. I think that's been accomplished and thank you, all.

Probably though, like I always seem to do, break my self-imposed rule about the temperature and go a for a ride on a beautiful fall day.

When I was younger and stuff didn't hurt so much, I would ride in the snow.

When I was a kid, I rode my Cushman year round. Had to, to operate my paper route and keep up the payments.:D With it's small wheels and low centre of gravity, riding on ice was doable.

The -25 F days were tough, and I had to be careful not to get frostbitten.

I've ridden as low as 15F and it's OK. I generally find it's a lot of work both in the prep to go and what to look out for.....Like the pick-up truck that backs out of a driveway and the water dumps on the road and "flash freezes". :hungover
OM

I really begin to rethink riding <30 degrees. It also depends on where I'm headed and how long I'll be out ... usually shorter local rides (errands, visiting friends etc).

Coldest ride for me was last Thanksgiving Sunday morning headed to Polly's Pancakes (Sugar Hill, NH) last day of the season. It was 22 when I left CT - and 16 when I hit VT. I pressed on until near exit 17(?) where the rest stop is when it really started snowing hard. Waited a bit with some free coffee and then turned tail and headed back south as the snow was really piling on the highway. I was hating to think what 117 was looking like and I wanted no part of it

Riding a bike in the snow...pfft! You ain't a real man until you low crawl to work in the snow. If you don't know what low crawl means there is a school that teaches it in Columbus GA.

Riding a bike in the snow...pfft! You ain't a real man until you low crawl to work in the snow. If you don't know what low crawl means there is a school that teaches it in Columbus GA.

Too funny.........My Grandfather used to say, "Ain't nothing till you saw the snow we had when I was a kid."

The worst part is my driveway which gets pretty icy, but a little sand for traction helps me get to the road and from there it's all good.

I stop riding when it gets this cold...

I stop going outside if it gets that cold. I ride motorcycles for enjoyment. It isn't a contest, at least not for me.

In Vermont, if you let weather dictate your rides, your season is cut in half. Riding in snow, especially the big fluffy late season stuff, is magical. Pure enjoyment.

That inescapable summer heat in your part of the country, on the other hand...

Back