• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

new tool / toy ?

Discovered today @ Home Depot. They're called gear ties. They are twist type ties, similar to what is on a loaf of bread. But they are of course heavier . They can be twisted or double wrapped. I played with the 'demo' laying there, and it seemed very strong. They come in 3" to 18" and in various colors. Could easily replace, take the place of Zip-Ties, and of course reusable .

Make your own from a scrap of solid copper electrical wire. Use 10, 12 or 14 gauge. Any length you want, multiple colors and easily replaced.

I've had a couple of these kicking around in my hiking pack for a while now, thinking, "One of these days, I just know I'm going to need to hold two sticks together with these." Hasn't happened yet. :dunno Places I'd normally use a zip tie, I generally want a more positive binding than these feel like they'll give me.

They're a very pretty neon orange, though.

I've had a couple of these kicking around in my hiking pack for a while now, thinking, "One of these days, I just know I'm going to need to hold two sticks together with these." Hasn't happened yet. :dunno Places I'd normally use a zip tie, I generally want a more positive binding than these feel like they'll give me.

They're a very pretty neon orange, though.

Well forgive me for making such a silly-assed suggestion about something I thought some may find useful, I'm quite sure it is due to my woeful ignorance and total lack of practical application. I do apologize for not having your obvious superior intellect and applicable engineering insight ......:bow

Well forgive me for making such a silly-assed suggestion about something I thought some may find useful, I'm quite sure it is due to my woeful ignorance and total lack of practical application. I do apologize for not having your obvious superior intellect and applicable engineering insight ......:bow

That is not, in the slightest, what I meant. Just relaying an experience.

Picked up a couple at REI about 2 years ago. Handiest things. Found that if you hook one (18" size) onto the brake pedal for a small block Guzzi, you can bleed the rear brake by your self. :)

Inexpensive at Dollar Store

Knockoffs are cheap at those handy "dollar store" places, at least near me. I keep looking at them ...

At Home Depot, I bought some straps that are sort of Velcro strips. You can lock your brake lever, if you feel the need, or many other items can be wrapped.

Also, there are reusable plastic cable ties available. You can fasten power cords for a GPS or other accessory on a temporary basis with these.

I find them great for securing temp wire runs for gps power. They hold and I can install and remove as needed. I keep a few twisted on the frame where I use them.

Back