• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tank Bag - Magnetic or Straps?

kentuvman

I met a guy at a rally riding a K75 with a nice looking Cortech tank bag - his had straps.

I've got (3) older BMW's all with metal tanks. Will primarily be used on the K75

Are there any pros & cons of magnetic versus straps? The magnet concept seems like a good idea.

The size I'm looking at is 14 liter - this one has a strap - thinking magnetic - but will wait for your suggestions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190889524003?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I have a lovely scratch in my R90S silver smoke tank that got there because of some grit on a magnet.

Straps it is - thanks as always!

Had no idea the tank was aluminum - thanks!

Is the 14 liter a good size?

A third option for some bikes is a Bags Connection style tank filler ring mount. I think Givi makes them too.

A third option for some bikes is a Bags Connection style tank filler ring mount. I think Givi makes them too.

How does the tank filler ring mount work? Like on the K75s I need a key to open the tank (just waiting for the day my key breaks inside the lock) :banghead

Careful! The "Bags Connection" concept is not for every bike. Becasue of the bag ring has to mount so that the pull-release works, it could be difficult to find a good position on the tank.
I went through that on my k16. It came with a "Bags" small day bag. I wanted a larger bag and ordered a , I think, 15L. This bag severely interferes with the handle bars now when trying to make full turn.
I have mounted the top ring (on the bag) as far forward as I can to still allow the pull-release to function, but the bag still sits too far forward and the handlebars hit it when turned.

Filler ring mount will not work on K75, K100, or K1100 as the cap covers the mounting screws.

Unless you use aluminum magnets, magnetic will not work.

Multivario works well.

:dance:dance:dance

I have the bag connection set up on my RT. I am really happy with this setup and it secures tothe bike. This is the best setup I have seen or used.

PM sent on a great bag deal I saw today

FWIW, I would use a magnetic bag by choice every time -if I could! I always "wiped mine with a gloved hand as habit to remove any stray particles before placement on tank.

Last edited:
Back