• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Older RT - replace with a new RT or just add a new GSA to the garage?

Replace my older RT or just add a new GSA to the garage?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bmwmotorwerkz

I have a 2002 R1150RT and I love it, but I also know that keeping it running really good will require big bucks, especially if I ever have to do an input shaft, clutch hub and slave cylinder upgrade after it fails.

So, do I replace it with new 2014 RT, or keep it and add a 2014 GS1200 Adventure to the garage?

Only you can answer that. Take them both for a test ride then decide. Your choice will be right for you, whatever your reasons are.

Either will be big bucks but the advantage is starting out with zero miles on the clock and a new warranty, along with all the upgrades and gadgets on the '14 models.

On the other hand, I've heard of FD problems and clutch separation issues on some GS/GSA's, and the 2014 RT will likely show up in dealers without any improvements to those two systems since its getting the same engine and I believe the same driveline. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone

BW:

It sounds like you have the resources to own two bikes, so adding the GSA might be the choice that is more satisfying for you. The most important thing for you to consider would be what you are going to do with it. If your plans are to ride pavement only, the RT would provide better weather protection.

Just double the Amasol and Marvel Mystery Oil in the 2002 and you will have a better bike than a 2014.

For me! It would come down to, do I have a need & or a desire for the GS ? {IOW} do I currently go off road enough to need a GS or do I want to begin enough off road riding to want / then need a GS ?....either /or where the GS might be better suited ? Of course....nothing like a new motorcycle :) But as for $$ probably less of it required to keep the RT...but then no new bike thrill :brow

And if other opinions matter ? The new motorcycles are just getting to darn complex & gimmicky automatic, sensor / computer controlled this & that....just a-bit much...again in my opinion.

Back