• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1982 r100cs

Have seen some posts here and there about the rarity of the R100CS. I just purchased a 1982 R100CS, S/N 6188165, and was wondering if anyone has any info to share? I was told a marine purchased this bike new while stationed in Germany and shipped it back after deployment, however it does have a US speedo. It also has a factory kickstart which I have heard was not available here. I also have the original paperwork from the purchase at Zweirad Herzog.

Enter last 7 digits of VIN at http://www.realoem.com to find month/year of production and whether it's a Euro or USA version. It wouldn't have been difficult to purchase a USA version in Germany.

Easiest way to tell would be absence of the air injestion system. There would be NO holes for this (not plugged holes). Not in heads, not in airbox, and engine top cover wouldn't have the notch for the crossover vacuum lines. Euro version would have 9.5 compression, not 8.2.

. It wouldn't have been difficult to purchase a USA version in Germany.

Not really. U.S. service personnel usually had access to U.S. spec vehicles while stationed in Germany in order to ease federalization with EPA and/or DOT upon return to the U.S.

Not really. U.S. service personnel usually had access to U.S. spec vehicles while stationed in Germany in order to ease federalization with EPA and/or DOT upon return to the U.S.

Isn't that what Kent said?? Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris

"It wouldn't have been difficult to purchase a USA version in Germany."

Mike replied:

"Not really. U.S. service personnel usually had access to U.S. spec vehicles while stationed in Germany in order to ease federalization with EPA and/or DOT upon return to the U.S."

Kurt asks:

Isn't that what Kent said?? Did I miss something?

JimmyLee observes:

Kurt! Mike has a problem following threads!!

My current R1150R was bought in Germany, by an American military member. He brought it home with him when discharged ,.then the wife became pregnant :brow with child number three, and he decided the motorcycle no longer fit in the family...that's when I bought it.

Thanks guys. Since last night I have found that it is a US Version purchased in Germany. According to BMbikes it appears to be 1 of 3 made for that model year. Still uncertain on the kickstarter. Cant find if that was factory or dealer added. Anyone know of other CS's with that option?

Not sure about US models but the Canadian airheads up to the 1984 model year had the kicker as an optional extra and dealers could order bikes with the kicker or not. My info is not readily accessible but I think it was about a $90. option.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris

"It wouldn't have been difficult to purchase a USA version in Germany."

Mike replied:

"Not really. U.S. service personnel usually had access to U.S. spec vehicles while stationed in Germany in order to ease federalization with EPA and/or DOT upon return to the U.S."

Kurt asks:

JimmyLee observes:

Kurt! Mike has a problem following threads!!

No, I can follow threads. As long as I wear my glasses!!! Kent said "it wouldn't have been difficult". I read this wrong. Sorry, Kent!

Not sure about US models but the Canadian airheads up to the 1984 model year had the kicker as an optional extra and dealers could order bikes with the kicker or not. My info is not readily accessible but I think it was about a $90. option.

I and a friend both had 84 CS's mine did not have the kicker, his did. I wish I had not traded that bike. He still has his, and it is the only British Racing Green ? with gold pinstripes I have ever seen.

No, I can follow threads. As long as I wear my glasses!!! Kent said "it wouldn't have been difficult". I read this wrong. Sorry, Kent!

I guess we all need to type more slowly and use bigger print sytles!!

Your trusted friend, JimmyLee!!!

Back