• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where to Start When the 90/6 Won't Start

He learned from others on the K-bike forum that the problem was the starter brushes being either dirty or need replacing. He took apart his starter, cleaned the brushes (which didn't need replacing) and commutator and voila! Took about an hour. Everything is again working perfectly! Does that seem logical that the starter brushes needing cleaning would cause the lights to flicker?

Yes, beccause the designers wanted the headlight and other loads to go off when the starter was running. So they installed what is in essence a headlight relay called the load shed relay. They grounded the relay coil to the starter brush.

Thus, +12v applied to the relay coil, grounded at the starter brush energizes the relay and the lights are on. But when the starter button is depressed +12v is applied to the starter. Back at that relay coil it sees +12v on both sides, lacks a ground, and disengages the relay. The lights go off as planned. Release the starter button, the relay coil regains ground and the lights come on.

If the brush is worn or dirty and making poor contact, the load shed relay loses its good ground even with the starter not energized and the lights might flicker or just fail to come on at all.

I wrote about this in this month's Benchwrenching in the Owners News.

It is a simple rather elegant solution actually.

Yes, beccause the designers wanted the headlight and other loads to go off when the starter was running. So they installed what is in essence a headlight relay called the load shed relay. They grounded the relay coil to the starter brush.

Thus, +12v applied to the relay coil, grounded at the starter brush energizes the relay and the lights are on. But when the starter button is depressed +12v is applied to the starter. Back at that relay coil it sees +12v on both sides, lacks a ground, and disengages the relay. The lights go off as planned. Release the starter button, the relay coil regains ground and the lights come on.

If the brush is worn or dirty and making poor contact, the load shed relay loses its good ground even with the starter not energized and the lights might flicker or just fail to come on at all.

I wrote about this in this month's Benchwrenching in the Owners News.

It is a simple rather elegant solution actually.

Thanks for the explanation. When the logic is understood, it makes lots more sense. Whether it is "elegant" or not is debatable as the same results (lights off when starter button is depressed) could have been achieved in other ways which could be more easily solved if there were a failure - or better, maybe failure would probably never even occur!

Solution!

Sorry for the delays in answering... took a bit of time to get down to business after the first week. But the issue has been resolved.
I did try the combo approach of WD-40 into the ignition switch and let it sit in the sun for an afternoon. Fired right up! By the time
I got to get on the bike and go (3-hours later) I was back to NOTHING, no clicks, ticks or turns. One more shot of WD-40 and again
fired right up. Must have been just enough moisture remaning to prevent contact. Lesson learned -- DO NOT PLAY IN THE RAIN.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

From what you have discovered I suspect that your ignition switch may be on it's last legs. Next time it acts up try wiggling the key around & see if that helps.

Back