• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Grab-on grips

Has anyone ever put Grab-on, or Johar foam grips on a Roadster or ? with heated grips ? I'd like to try them if they'll fit, but I don't want to lose the heat either. I'm talking about of course cutting just the rubber off [of] the heat element, and sliding the foam grip back over it.

I bought Grab-On grip covers at the rally this year. A bit finicky to fit over the stock grips but once they're on, they aren't going anywhere. Works fine with heated grips - it just takes a little longer for the heat to work its way through the extra layer of foam. Overall I'm very happy with them. They cut down vibration and due to the fact that they're slightly larger in diameter, and hence provide slightly greater leverage, make it easier to keep the throttle open resulting in a less tired wrist at the end of the day.

My two cents.

I bought Grab-On grip covers at the rally this year. A bit finicky to fit over the stock grips but once they're on, they aren't going anywhere. Works fine with heated grips - it just takes a little longer for the heat to work its way through the extra layer of foam. Overall I'm very happy with them. They cut down vibration and due to the fact that they're slightly larger in diameter, and hence provide slightly greater leverage, make it easier to keep the throttle open resulting in a less tired wrist at the end of the day.

My two cents.

I guess I'll just try a set. I want to remove the orignal rubber, and put the foam grips over the heating elements. Hopefully I'll get the foam advantage,as well as the heat [when needed] and yet not have a huge diameter grip.
If it doesn't work too well ? I know I can still buy new rubber covers.

The OEM grips are fairly well bonded to the heater wrap so you'll want to be extremely careful with that idea. Using compressed air to move the OEM (or any other) rubber grip off and then getting some slippery liquid like soapy water in there helps immensely.

This stuff is always about preference of course. I've used straight foam grips in the past and did not like them for two reasons. They absorb lots of water in the rain and wear out rather quickly in the sun.

For me, they worked best when the bike is sitting in the shed! :laugh

The OEM grips are fairly well bonded to the heater wrap so you'll want to be extremely careful with that idea. Using compressed air to move the OEM (or any other) rubber grip off and then getting some slippery liquid like soapy water in there helps immensely.

This stuff is always about preference of course. I've used straight foam grips in the past and did not like them for two reasons. They absorb lots of water in the rain and wear out rather quickly in the sun.

For me, they worked best when the bike is sitting in the shed! :laugh

I know the foamtype have their drawbacks, and need to be changed often. But I do like the 'feel' particularly on longer trips. I also liked the old 'barrel' style...but those are getting impossible to find, at all. And as yet haven't found any in one inch.

Back