• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

SPEED KILLS (Your Pocketbook)

The higher your speed, the lower your miles-per-gallon.

Safety is only one factor in speeding. When most people are 10 or 15 mph over already high speed limits of 70 mph or 75 mph, fuel economy takes a nose dive and CO2 emissions rise greatly as well. It doesn't help that most are driving gas-hogs.

Harry

+1 ! :thumb

You are missing the point...............the few.

It costs me $2600.00 a year to ride my bike, fire and THEFT included. I can thank the Squids and our younger First Nations Aboriginal young people looking for a quick ride for my ability to enjoy 5 months of riding at that cost.

My 1997, short box 4wd Chevy Truck with an LT1 engine costs me $2000.00 a year to drive as a "pleasure" vehicle. That's a maximum of twice a month I'm allowed to use it for work.

It's Government and Insurance companies hammering the responsible ones.

Government doesn't want to be accused of "putting you in harm's way".

Insurance companies don't want me slamming into your Mother/Father with 144,000 lbs and 500 horsepower attached to your butt. Costs too much.

You want to make change?

Get your Mother/Father to take a mandatory driver's test after age 70. If they fail, suck it up and get them where they need to be.

Put your kidlets on a graduated system that forces them to drive with responsibility. Check their "party" and see if the know the difference between black ice and black asphalt.

It's the few. "bogthebasher" has the right name. It's too bad he's a smart guy and is so, very, shortsighted.

Check out "Ice Road Truckers". They are a giggle. Too stupid to realize they are that stupid.

Check out "Highway Thru Hell". Are you kidding me? Tonka toys?

They add fuel to Government and Insurance companies because they think we are...............

It's the few. "bogthebasher" has the right name. It's too bad he's a smart guy and is so, very, shortsighted.

Hey guys, I did not make that video nor did I state and opinion on this other than to say this was an interesting point of view. Bye the way I actually make every attempt to obey speed limits in every geography I ride in.

Hate to admit it, but 30 years ago while in University I played 'Dungeons and Dragons' and Bog the Basher was my character name. In real life I am a wimp who slows down !0% for rain and 20% or more for ice. I think the commentary for this thread has been quite good with alternate points of view debated well.

How did you know I have to wear bifocals? :D

It costs me $2600.00 a year to ride my bike, fire and THEFT included. I can thank the Squids and our younger First Nations Aboriginal young people looking for a quick ride for my ability to enjoy 5 months of riding at that cost.

My 1997, short box 4wd Chevy Truck with an LT1 engine costs me $2000.00 a year to drive as a "pleasure" vehicle. That's a maximum of twice a month I'm allowed to use it for work.

It's Government and Insurance companies hammering the responsible ones.

Government doesn't want to be accused of "putting you in harm's way".

Insurance companies don't want me slamming into your Mother/Father with 144,000 lbs and 500 horsepower attached to your butt. Costs too much.

You want to make change?

Get your Mother/Father to take a mandatory driver's test after age 70. If they fail, suck it up and get them where they need to be.

Put your kidlets on a graduated system that forces them to drive with responsibility. Check their "party" and see if the know the difference between black ice and black asphalt.

Check out "Ice Road Truckers". They are a giggle. Too stupid to realize they are that stupid.

Check out "Highway Thru Hell". Are you kidding me? Tonka toys?

They add fuel to Government and Insurance companies because they think we are...............

Actually I am a confused about exactly what point is being made here.

IMO driver training, testing (paper and road) and re-testing (paper and road) each time your licence is renewed should be mandatory. Training and testing need to be stepped up, rather than the minimum it takes to get a licence these days, at least in BC.

Then ticket the offences that cause accidents. Not some arbitrary, easy to do, money grab - speeding beyond a posted limit. Yes speeding should be severely punished where it counts, school zones and playgrounds, for example.

On the hwy, and in the city, most accidents are caused by unskilled drivers, drivers who are distracted with doing other things (cell phones, texting, putting on make-up, reading the newspaper, fiddling with the pleasure gadgets in the car, alcohol, and some drugs (meth) being one of them, and occasionally just plain mistakes (you know when you've made one, and most of the time it is while being distracted - replaying the fight with spouse, co-worker, boss or that annoying cell phone provider that has crappy customer service (for examples).

So train properly, test properly, re-test every five years on license renewal, and ticket those folks whose behaviours cause accidents. Speeding is way down on the list, but easy to point to. If people are properly trained they wouldn't exceed a safe speed given the existing road conditions; that includes sunny dry weather, wet rainy dark weather, night driving and snow and/or ice.

And yes, yank licences for people who don't pass the tests.

Then put the LEOs on things that matter, and this list is huge, crime, murder, spouse abuse, children abuse...

You got the point I was trying to make.

Actually I am a confused about exactly what point is being made here.

IMO driver training, testing (paper and road) and re-testing (paper and road) each time your licence is renewed should be mandatory. Training and testing need to be stepped up, rather than the minimum it takes to get a licence these days, at least in BC.

Then ticket the offences that cause accidents. Not some arbitrary, easy to do, money grab - speeding beyond a posted limit. Yes speeding should be severely punished where it counts, school zones and playgrounds, for example.

On the hwy, and in the city, most accidents are caused by unskilled drivers, drivers who are distracted with doing other things (cell phones, texting, putting on make-up, reading the newspaper, fiddling with the pleasure gadgets in the car, alcohol, and some drugs (meth) being one of them, and occasionally just plain mistakes (you know when you've made one, and most of the time it is while being distracted - replaying the fight with spouse, co-worker, boss or that annoying cell phone provider that has crappy customer service (for examples).

So train properly, test properly, re-test every five years on license renewal, and ticket those folks whose behaviours cause accidents. Speeding is way down on the list, but easy to point to. If people are properly trained they wouldn't exceed a safe speed given the existing road conditions; that includes sunny dry weather, wet rainy dark weather, night driving and snow and/or ice.

And yes, yank licences for people who don't pass the tests.

Then put the LEOs on things that matter, and this list is huge, crime, murder, spouse abuse, children abuse...

It's the stupid people, inexperienced, and the list goes on. Speed limits are about the only enforceable option governments, law enforcement and insurance companies have. They can't hand out fines for being stupid.

And you are absolutely right, there are a lot worse crimes out there than speeding but investigating and bringing criminals to justice costs money. Catching speeders is a revenue stream.

I like this post............and I can't where bi-focals, makes my brain hurt.

Quite good

Here is another link wherein the creator of the 'Speed Kills' video debates the subject live on TV:

http://jalopnik.com/watch-the-speed-kills-myth-guy-dominate-this-debate-o-1442460046

The video creator was a very good debater. He maintained an even tone even when the two ladies biased in their paradigms seemed to pounce. I'm so used to hot headed debates with American talking heads I found the civilized discourse refreshing. I just got back from Pensacola and the wife and I have to go through Florala, where the speed trap is so bad that if you don't speed they'll give you a ticket for failure to signal when changing lanes (they ticketed my wife for that earlier this year. I tried to explain to the judge that she was passing me and we had communication 'schuberth' and that I was aware of her passing maneuver, he was clearly only interested in my 'excuse' but very interested in collecting the revenue, sheriff of Nottingham style). We don't go through there no more and we don't spend money there no more. Shame really. The citizens of that town probably don't even understand why no one will stop and spend money in there town.

Back