• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150r

georgej

Could any owners/riders of this bike share your opinions or experience ? I'm thinking of replacing my R100RS with an R1150r.Or should i get an RT? I've ridden my friends RT so I have some experience with the model.I've also teat ridden an F800ST,but prefer the original BMW designed twin.I've been thinking for a while now of going to something more modern and i'm pretty close to actually taking the plunge.
George

Could any owners/riders of this bike share your opinions or experience ? I'm thinking of replacing my R100RS with an R1150r.Or should i get an RT? I've ridden my friends RT so I have some experience with the model.I've also teat ridden an F800ST,but prefer the original BMW designed twin.I've been thinking for a while now of going to something more modern and i'm pretty close to actually taking the plunge.
George

Well I have one, an 04 and I luv the thing, had to make a few changes, handlebars,seat, & pegs...for comfort. But I believe that is more due to my age & size, as opposed to any design flaw. I use a BMW touring windshield, and the whole thing seems to work. I like naked bikes, both in appearence & for the air they allow , since I now ride more warm weather than cold. I am just now working on replacing the saddlebags, to make the motorcycle more narrow, & the bags more user friendly [too me]. I have had Airheads, and a 99RS Oilhead ......this is my favorite so far. Is there something faster, better handling, etc, & so-on ?...I suppose ? but overall it is a fine, fun, good-lookin' motorcycle....{IMO}

BTW I'm 64 6'1" 280...and have some arthritis issues....

From one RS to another RS

I added an R1100RS to the stable last fall. I exchanged my '77 R100S for it. I still have my R100RS, and probably always will have it.

In my opinion, the differences are substantial. I'm thinking that you won't be sorry if you go to the R1150R. You'll have better braking, more power, better suspension, etc. etc.

I have an 2004 R1150R that I truly enjoy. It faithfully took me to Prudhoe Bay and Inuvik last year. But after a couple of years without an Airhead, I decided I needed to return one to the stable. Being not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I ended up with two of them - a 1976 R75/6 in standard form and I repurchased the R100RS that I bought new in 1977. There is some place in my soul that only an Airhead can reach. It is no match for the R1150R in speed, safety, comfort, handling, or reliability. But there must be one in the stable.

When given a choice, take both.

r1150r-2.jpg

I rode a 2003 for a good bit-they are my idea of what a MC should be in most ways & were it not for a personal decision to "go smaller" I'd still be on one. I like the late 03's & up for the 6 speed tranny and SS brake lines among a few things to comment on. Far better hwy/long day MC than my current thumper. FD & clutch spline searches should keep you busy in the oilhead arena. ADV has many there that ride them too.
The seat/height is different than for many other models-doesn't adjust like R1100R's do & the bike will have either the regular,low or high seat option on it. Plenty of those seats out there to shuffle around for a fit. Try R1150R.org website for good folks & info..

I've had both a 2002 RT and a 2004 1150R. Different bikes for different uses. Clearly the RT is a better long distance bike and better in lousy weather. However, for 90% of your riding, the 1150R is a great, fun bike. I commuted 45 miles each way on one for a couple of years. Rode it on some long trips. Great bike. Also, there is plenty of support on the 1150R forum. ( http://r1150r.net/ ). Very easy to work on since there isn't a bunch of plastic to remove first. I also had the touring windshield which I highly recommend. Of all the Beemers I've owned, more people came up to me on the road and commented on the 1150R than any of the other bikes.

George

Like any good question...it depends! Faced with a similar quandary in 2004 I did some test riding of an R and an RT, then did some serious head scratching. Ultimately decided on the R, because it seemed a touch more adaptable. I'd owned a few full faired sport touring bikes, then ridden Ducatis for about ten years. The RT was no slouch in the handling department, and obviously had a few more amenities in the comfort aspects. In the end I chose to get the R, with bags and the BMW sport screen. Then I added a custom Sargent seat, Cee Bailey's touring screen (which mounts to the BMW brackets), and a set of Hella FF 50 fog lamps. For cold, long rides used the CB screen. For shorter, "sportier" rides with my Duc buddies, left the bags at home and swapped the CB for the sport screen (10 minute job). Part of my impetus to get a Beemer was a goal of getting my spouse to ride again...that plan failed, but she did say that she was actually quite comfortable riding pillion on the R.

Did several 800 mile days on the R, but thoroughly enjoyed the bike as much when I had it in "sport mode".

So, do you intend to use your new machine as a pure long distance touring machine, or are you thinking about a more variable type of riding?

Like I said...it depends! :groovy

Good luck and safe riding!

PS. And now I ride....an '04 R1100S! Go Figure, LOL!

Braddog,
I'm wondering why you got rid of theR100S and not the RS.I think I would have done just the opposite.

Look at a R1200R, lighter, more power, no wizzy brakes, a bit better handling. I put over 50K miles on a 2003 R1150, traded it on a 2009 R1200, it is a far better bike. After about 50K miles I had to sell it because of age and health issues

Look at a R1200R, lighter, more power, no wizzy brakes, a bit better handling. I put over 50K miles on a 2003 R1150, traded it on a 2009 R1200, it is a far better bike. After about 50K miles I had to sell it because of age and health issues

Good advice. The R1200R is a definte positive evolution of the 1150.

I have an R1150R with about 170K miles on it. I like it, but agree the R1200R has real advantages. But to the original question - R or RT? That is a very personal preference. The RT provides better weather protection in cold or wet weather. The R is more comfortable in hot weather.

Some folks like a fully faired bike. Some like a more naked, stadard style bike. Lots more folks buy RTs than buy Rs. So it is your preference. Ride them both - then decide.

If you buy an R and add all the Schnickschnack everybody adds to it, you may be better off with a RT to begin with. I can't really comment on the R, but I dearly love my RT. So much that I kept it, when I bought a K1600GT.
Now a whole different story is, why you would get rid of the R100RS. I hope it is not a Motosport edition as shown in your avatar. I understand that money is an issue, but still....

If you buy an R and add all the Schnickschnack everybody adds to it, you may be better off with a RT to begin with.

Lots of folks add a few things: gps, radar detector, auxiliary lights, etc. But only a few add a full fairing, and I have yet to see plastic added to the sides - to make it like an RT. Nothing has been added to my R that I wouldn't also add to an RT.

It is a Motorsport,my RS.After riding the RS this past weekend,I thought "i can never get rid of this bike".Then again anytime I ride a friends newer Oilhead,I think to my self how nice the brakes work and all the other stuff the new bikes have to offer.So for now it will be the R100RS andthe R80/7.At least until I get the bug for something new.The R I was looking at was sold anyway,so that helped in the decision.

Lots of folks add a few things: gps, radar detector, auxiliary lights, etc. But only a few add a full fairing, and I have yet to see plastic added to the sides - to make it like an RT. Nothing has been added to my R that I wouldn't also add to an RT.

+1! :type

I had a 2007 RT and a 2008 R, I sold the RT a year ago. The R is a much easier bike to ride. Lighter, seems to carry the weight lower and more nimble. You can set it up for long distance touring as I have in the picture. With the panniers, Parabellum Scout fairing and GS hand guards it provides great protection against the elements. Take away the panniers, side cases and put a short screen on the fairing and it is a sporty bike for a day ride. Put on some decent tires (TKC 80s will fit) and it is very good on a dirt road. I have a friend who has ridden her R to Deadhorse, Inuvik, and most other Alaskan and Yukon roads multiple times. What I miss about the RT is the cruise control and large fuel tank, but I do not miss the RT's top heavy feel. The advertised fuel capacity of the R is 4.8 gallons (I think); I regularly put 5.3 in mine.

Attachments

• SAM_1655.JPG
    SAM_1655.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 144
If you buy an R and add all the Schnickschnack everybody adds to it, you may be better off with a RT to begin with. I can't really comment on the R, but I dearly love my RT. So much that I kept it, when I bought a K1600GT.
Now a whole different story is, why you would get rid of the R100RS. I hope it is not a Motosport edition as shown in your avatar. I understand that money is an issue, but still....

Minus a cheap GPS, & trunk, mines looks like she just got off the boat, & I might add, "quite fetching"

Ncascades.jpg

My RS is a Motorsport.I took her out for a ride Sunday about 50 miles.Everytime I ride that bike I think I'll never sell this one.Of course anytime I ride a newer one I think just the opposite.Anyway the R1150 deal fell through,so for now it's going to stay Airheads only.

Back