• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I might pull the trigger

nricci

Guys,

Rode a GS today, new model. I had the opportunity to ride a RT last week, for the first time, and didn't enjoy much, specially the engine. Too tractor like for my tastes.

Today, I rode the GS and what a difference this new engine makes. It is smooth, just incredibly smooth when compared to the air/oil version.

I was so impressed that I'm now contemplating buying one myself.

The only thing I didn't like was the RPM at 75mph, cruising on the highway. Too high, too loud, etc. I was in Dinamic Mode. I felt like I needed the 7th gear.

Anyways, I would appreciate your input.

- What is a fair price to pay on a 2013 fully loaded?
- How much for panniers and top bag? BMW or third party?
- How much for the engine guard? BMW brand or third party?

Thanks for any input/help.

Nricci

PS: the new RT, with this engine, will be phenomenal.

The 2013 GS is 18K +. Bags add $1.1K but are nice.

Top bag might be $500, I don't have a clue about engine guards.

The only thing I didn't like was the RPM at 75mph, cruising on the highway. Too high, too loud, etc. I was in Dinamic Mode. I felt like I needed the 7th gear.

How much didn't you like it? The bike is not going to change. If you're not going to change, either, then start looking for a different bike, now.

- What is a fair price to pay on a 2013 fully loaded?

List. Oh, you might find a bike in a showroom somewhere that doesn't have the popular options that you might be able to deal for. From what I've read the dealers are selling all they can get. In that situation you can expect to pay list and hope for a discount on some dealer supplied farkles.

- How much for panniers and top bag? BMW or third party?

If you want aluminum panniers you'll currently have to go third party. Which ones? Depends partly upon looks, size, mounting configuration, and price. Do a google image search to get some ideas. Jesse, Touratech, Globe Scout, Holan, Happy Trail, Hepco-becker, Trax, and others I can't think of off hand all make something that will fit the bike..

- How much for the engine guard? BMW brand or third party?

Looks, material, and crash coverage will drive that sale. We don't know what's important to you. Do an image search for r1200gsw crash bars to get an idea of what is available.

Guys,

what were rpm's at 75 mph on this bike? On my 09 GS 70mph is just about 4.2 k and the engine seems to have more vibration right there. Drop below 70 a little and it is smoother. Go up to 75-80 mph and it is smoother. At 70mph my /6 is turning close to 5k. And it is comfortable there.

Are you used to bmw's or from a cruiser type background? Maybe it is just because the bike makes so much power that you feel it needs another gear?

nricci,

I bet the R1200RT/LC will be better for you as far as RPM @ 70ish.

I owned a couple R1200GSs and a couple R1200RTs over the last 8 years...
Although sharing the same basic engine design with the GSs, the RTs, because of tranny or final drive ratios turned a few hundred RPM less than the GSs when both traveling at the same speed and both in 6th gear.

So, not only did the RTs feel more relaxed when cruising at speed, the lower RPM, combined with better aerodynamics combined to provide better fuel efficiency on the RTs, even though they weighed more.

GSs returned low to mid 40's MPG, and the RTs more like low/mid to mid/upper 40's.
For my riding style and usage, the RTs were prox 2 - 3 MPG better.

Test rode the new GS/LC, I like it quite a bit. I can understand why they're selling well.

d'milan

Thank you all.

I'm inclined to wait for the new RT with this fantastic liquid cooled engine. And ride both before making a decision.

waiting on wc rt

That sounds like a very good idea. Either one is a lot of money to not get exactly what you want. Another consideration is how long are your legs. I am 6' and 31" inseam and find the GS with a Russel seat is a little tall, on the other hand I tried out an RT and found it a little cramped. I love my GS and we find it to be the best touring bike we have ever owned, so you are in a win win situation!!!!!!!!!!!!

Engine Bars, et al.

Thank you Marchyman.

I'm partial to AltRrider bars, had them on my 2010 GS. Bars are $475.00 (1 1/4") and a pair of radiator guards $128.00. Unfortunately won't be shipping till late November, early December. Info from company today: "It is good that you have your order in now as demand is high for these items. We will not be charging you until your order ships." As for fair price for 2013 loaded, I paid $17,500.00 end of year, a thousand bucks off retail. Been worth every penny to me, now if I can just sell my 2010!

Back