• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New member about to take off on a 3 month trip across USA and a bit of Mexico

Brp

Well, most of the roads I'd show you aren't on the map, unless you're using a Delorme Gazetteer.

One suggestion, based on you mentioning the BRP and Deal's Gap... Parson's Branch Road, coming out of Cades Cove in the Smoky Mountain National Park.

Note: a fairly large section of the BRP is closed north of Asheville, NC, due to a slide. There's a nice little workaround... with camping along the way.

Both of these roads are unpaved.

Almost every road off the BRP in this area is very nice. :nod

Great suggestions and thx so much for the BRP closure update. I had read that there are often parts closed for various reasons.

Gps

Definitely take the Anonymous Book. It is the most important thing you can pack. Saved my buns more than once. I would recommend a GPS, if only for finding the nearest gas station. I've coasted in on fumes more than once. I can lend you my old Zumo 550 if you like. I've got the lifetime updates so the maps would be up-to-date.

My uncle did that trip on a '36 Harley back in the day. He had a ball. Then this little war broke out and he got to tour Europe instead.

Hi Holly..oh yeah I'm definitely taking the Anonymous Book...very valuable I've heard. I think I'll forgo the GPS for this trip. I have no doubt it would be useful but I'll make do without it. It's a long trip and I would be worried that something would happen to it and I couldn't really afford to replace it. Thanks so much for the offer though, very thoughtful.

Where in the world is mswieca?

Any chance of an update on your progress?

Are you having fun yet? :D

Where in the world is mswieca?

Any chance of an update on your progress?

Are you having fun yet? :D

Sure am. I'm in Phoenix at the moment, staying with Lisa and family. Lisa is part of the Motorcycle Travel Network and MOA too I believe. I thought I had posted in the forum that I was going to be blogging on TravelPod along with the link but perhaps I didn't after all. I'm on there plus f/b, it was too much to also update the MOA forum. Anyway, the below link is for my blog. If you're interested I could also add your email address to my TravelPod address book or become f/b friends (michel swieca) or you could follow me on Twitter (madfortravel). Then you'd know when I post a new entry. http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/nacrobat/3/tpod.html
Cheers,
Mike

Back