• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hello from central Ohio

E

Elwood P Dowd

Hello from London Ohio, I've been riding for years but I've never owned a BMW before. I started out on a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 from there I went to a 2000 Buell X1 then a 2006 Buell Ulysses, well actually I started out on a Carabela moped but we won't talk about that. Right now I'm rideless but I'm hoping to pick up a father and son project that me and my boy can work on. Every time I break out the wrenches he's right there next to me so I'm kinda hoping to keep that connection going. He's only 4 now so I've got a few more years before I would really be comfortable with him on the back of a bike. If anyone has or knows where a dusty old project bike (preferably a BMW) may be tucked away that could be picked up for cheap let me know. Anyways for now I guess I'll just enjoy everyone's stories and live vicariously through you guys for the time being.

Hello from London Ohio, I've been riding for years but I've never owned a BMW before. I started out on a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 from there I went to a 2000 Buell X1 then a 2006 Buell Ulysses, well actually I started out on a Carabela moped but we won't talk about that. Right now I'm rideless but I'm hoping to pick up a father and son project that me and my boy can work on. Every time I break out the wrenches he's right there next to me so I'm kinda hoping to keep that connection going. He's only 4 now so I've got a few more years before I would really be comfortable with him on the back of a bike. If anyone has or knows where a dusty old project bike (preferably a BMW) may be tucked away that could be picked up for cheap let me know. Anyways for now I guess I'll just enjoy everyone's stories and live vicariously through you guys for the time being.

Describe 'project' ? and 'cheap' ? 2002 BMW K1200LT needs cosmetics , battery, tires,....seat recover [cosmetic]? Probably should have a brake system flush, and pads etc. As well as other fluid flush/changes. Does run just fine...radio does not work, and has been removed.

Cheap would be around $1000 or within horse trading room of $1000ish, project would be something like what your describing, I've been an aircraft mechanic for 20 years and have been taking things apart since I first picked up a wrench (just ask my poor father :blush ) I've pretty much done all my own vehicle maintenance since I've been driving so not much scares me but I do know when I'm over my head.

Describe 'project' ? and 'cheap' ? 2002 BMW K1200LT needs cosmetics , battery, tires,....seat recover [cosmetic]? Probably should have a brake system flush, and pads etc. As well as other fluid flush/changes. Does run just fine...radio does not work, and has been removed.

Just out of curiosity what happened to your bikes cosmetics?

Just out of curiosity what happened to your bikes cosmetics?

THe poor thing was just neglected...I believe never washed/polished. I used 3 clay bars to clean what I have so far, right saddlebag & lower fairing panel yet to be done. And have done first polish on the finished parts....it's looking beautiful. One 'rub' mark on the L/hand fairing panel is the only 'blem' It is Titan Silver. The seat is dry-cracked, the shield [was] yellow...but again it polished up clear as crystal...looks new.

I have 3 times that in it so can't go any where near that low....I just lost interest due to some personal issues....too long a story & wouldn't want to bore ya...:nono.

I may regain my interest, and if I do ? I'll end up with a bargain 'mile eater luxury bike'. After I read yourpost I thought ? don't hurt to ask!

I understand, that's a pretty nice bike and I would be amazed if I found something like that in my price range. Crazy that someone would spend the money for a bike like that and then neglect it, just doesn't seem right.

Welcome, Elwood! Good luck with your search. I hope you find something soon. Be sure to post pics when you do!

Back