• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Starter problems

ayaple

SAY 1 Let's ride
Starter bendix does not engage after short rides. Starter motor spins but does not engage in fly wheel second or third try engine starts fine. 2004 R1150 rt, 65 k dealer full service at 60K.
Any Ideas worried it might take more than 3 tries

Here is the deal. Power is reaching the solenoid. The solenoid is engaging. This closes contacts and energizes the motor. But, when the solenoid engages and pushes the nose gear and drive forward the gear teeth are not reaching the flywheel.

The starter needs to be removed. Two bolts and two wires after the left size plastic is removed. It is possible that the fork that moves the nose gear is bent, but it is far more likely that the shaft and nose gear just need to be thoroughly cleaned and lubricated. I would use electric motor cleaner and compressed air to clean things up and oil to lubricate the gear and shaft.

What Paul said.

I can do this on an RS in under half an hour.
I've read the tupperware removal on an RT is long but the starter part is easy.

That's a great site Dan!
Thanks, and welcome.

Starter bendix does not engage after short rides. Starter motor spins but does not engage in fly wheel second or third try engine starts fine. 2004 R1150 rt, 65 k dealer full service at 60K.
Any Ideas worried it might take more than 3 tries

Thanks Paul , Dan , and Mike. If it rains this weekend I'll start to peal the plastic off to clean and lubricate to alleviate my worries,
Art

Back