View Poll Results: Do you fill your bike well it is positioned on the side stand, or center stand?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Center stand

33 39.76%
  • Side stand

50 60.24%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Did you fill up your RT or GS positioned on the side stand or the center stand?

Cowboyatheart

Did you fill up your RT or GS positioned on the side stand or the center stand?

I have a 2008 RT, and I normally fill up by putting my motorcycle on the center stand. While doing that today, I was wondering whether or not I would get more gas and if it was on the side or the center stand. How do you feel up yours?
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    I have a 2008 RT, and I normally fill up by putting my motorcycle on the center stand. While doing that today, I was wondering whether or not I would get more gas and if it was on the side or the center stand. How do you feel up yours?
    Can't fix spelling on polling question, I bet you "feel" your bike in all positions, so go with the intent, "feel = fill", in this case
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    Can't fix spelling on polling question, I bet you "feel" your bike in all positions, so go with the intent, "feel = fill", in this case
    nelliot -

I was able to get into the poll and edit the title. HTH!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

To answer your question, filling on the center stand allows a bit more fuel into the tank.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/7 GS white

ride till you can't

Side stand for me and my '09RT. Then peek inside to make sure its filled to just under the bottom edge of the red plastic tube. That's full for me, otherwise pump clicks off at less than a full tank.

What centerstand...on three bikes, there is no choice for us

Since my riding companion is on a 5 gallon bike , I use sidestand on GSA, was same on the RT. Rare day to put any on a centerstand for us. Do try to get max fuel in some situations west of the Big Muddy as fuel opportunities sometimes are far apart for the 5 gallon bikes range if not topped off.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    To answer your question, filling on the center stand allows a bit more fuel into the tank.
    i drilled a couple of 1/4" holes about 1/2" from the top of the red neck thingy on the right hand side....no need to put the bike on the centerstand to get a "full" full...
    ~wyman~

2015 BMW S1000R - Duke - Black Storm Metallic
    2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

If you want to know the volume difference there are two approaches. One is to fill it on the sidestand and then put it on the centerstand and see how much more fuel can be added. This is the preferred method.

The other is to fill it on the centerstand and then put it on the sidestand after failing to properly close the cap. This allows you to see how much gas spills out, but is not the preferred method.

Some of us have probably tried both methods.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Centerstands are for maintenance only.

Correcting an empty gas tank situation is maintenance.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I've done both, but it's hard to imagine the difference is enough to make a difference, unless like henzilla said you're in a place where you really have to maximize the range.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The other is to fill it on the centerstand and then put it on the sidestand after failing to properly close the cap. This allows you to see how much gas spills out, but is not the preferred method.
    I tried this, but I had a terrible time collecting it to measure the difference.

Pete
    Pete
    When life throws you a curve, lean into it. (Seen on a t-shirt at MotoGP Indy)
    '06 R1200RT, '12 F650GS, '04 K1200GT (Sold)

FWIW: Formerly when I was on a long ride ('09 RT) I'd fill way up into the neck (the "red neck thingy" as Wyman so eloquently described it) to try to get myself a bit of a cushion until the next fill. I found that I could get about another half gallon or so into the tank after the pump clicked off.

Recently I've just been filling up to the bottom of the neck, not up into the neck. I've noticed that the fuel sensor strip seems to behave more consistently with this approach. Before the fuel gauge would often indicate anywhere from 250 miles range at full to 350 miles range at full when I filled into the neck. It often got partway there and held, not accounting for fuel burned. Since I've been filling only to the bottom of the neck it seems to have stabilized right about 320 miles at full and counts down in accordance with miles traveled. This seems to be pretty close to theoretical true - 7.1 gal x 46 mpg = 327 miles. But that means that 0 miles means empty, not 0 miles means the start of the one gallon reserve.

Regardless, after four failed fuel strips, I still fill by miles ridden per the trip meter, not by what the fuel gauge says. I typically fill at about 260-270 miles into the tank, and put around 6 gallons in. Again, consistent with ~320 miles range on a full tank.

And I do it on the centerstand, partially because I have to pull the tank bag off, and if I do it on the side stand and put the tank bag on the saddle, the tank bag falls onto the ground.

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT, '73 R75/5 Toaster (under rehabilitation)
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

Side...

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I find I can get a little more in when the bike is upright on the centerstand. I don't bother and actually watch out for a "filled to the brim" condition unless I was headed back on the road. An "over-fill/max-fill on a hot day can foul up the venting system.
    YMMV
    OM
    "I bought a ticket to the circus, I don't know why I was so surprised to see elephants" Norris Church Mailer
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Neither. I don't get off of the bike when gassing up. Is this odd? I see guys on cruisers off their bikes all the time, but I figured that was so they could polish the chrome if they see a smudge.
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Suzuki vStrom DL650 (sold)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jebersole View Post
    Neither. I don't get off of the bike when gassing up. Is this odd?
    Depends
    OM
    "I bought a ticket to the circus, I don't know why I was so surprised to see elephants" Norris Church Mailer
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200