• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ESA Failure on 08 RT

dockeithdc

innate need to improve
Yesterdays ride started with me changing my bike from one up to two up ride setting. The icon on the display blinked once and that was it with no raising of the rear suspension:banghead.

From other posts regarding this, I have tried over and over to change the setting with no suspension change.

I am hoping that a trip to the dealer and a software flash will correct the problem... If not I would like to have some options as my bike is out of warranty.

Has anyone had to replace the components with aftermarket like wilbers wesa, or others, and what is the cost?

I would like to keep the ESA feature, but have options other than the OEM BMW components.

Thanks for the input.

Today I started the bike and miraculously it cycled flawlessly through all the ESA settings.

I will now make it part of my warm-up ritual to cycle through the settings so it doesn't get stuck...

Another BMW widget that operates only when it wants too...:scratch

Well it might be time for an extended warranty!

Yesterdays ride started with me changing my bike from one up to two up ride setting. The icon on the display blinked once and that was it with no raising of the rear suspension:banghead.

From other posts regarding this, I have tried over and over to change the setting with no suspension change.

I am hoping that a trip to the dealer and a software flash will correct the problem... If not I would like to have some options as my bike is out of warranty.

Has anyone had to replace the components with aftermarket like wilbers wesa, or others, and what is the cost?

I would like to keep the ESA feature, but have options other than the OEM BMW components.

Hi Keith,

My bike is still new so hopefully, I'm a ways away from having to worry about this but I did do a bit of searching and found this.

http://racetech.com/page/id/97

Scroll down a bit and click on the R1200RT picture on the right. They don't list any prices (disappointing) but it looks like they custom rebuild the factory shocks to your specifications. Like you, I really like the ESA feature and, when the time comes, I'd like to maintain that functionality. The Wilbers look like a nice option too except they're in the UK. That, in and of itself, is not a deal breaker for me but I'd prefer to deal with someone "in country" if I have that option and I get the impression, from the web sites at least, that their services are similar.

FWIW! :)

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Ted Porter's BeemerShop sells and services the Wilbers WESA system in California. Cost is about $1400. Highly reputable and many other brands options available. It's also the place to pick up a GS-911 tool.

www.beemershop.com

You might simply be suffering from low battery voltage. I've been keeping the bike on BMW specific Deltran charger since our ESA acted up once (upon dealer recommendation) and haven't had a problem with the ESA since. Although the damping is starting to fade at 26,000 miles on a 09R1200RT.

Cheers!

Ted Porter's BeemerShop sells and services the Wilbers WESA system in California. Cost is about $1400. Highly reputable and many other brands options available. It's also the place to pick up a GS-911 tool.

www.beemershop.com

You might simply be suffering from low battery voltage. I've been keeping the bike on BMW specific Deltran charger since our ESA acted up once (upon dealer recommendation) and haven't had a problem with the ESA since. Although the damping is starting to fade at 26,000 miles on a 09R1200RT.

Cheers!

That's good to know Shaun. Thanks for the update!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Back