• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Old Air Box Issue re-visited

FRUBIO

3 months ago I fell in love with a used 07K1200GT
After some pencil sharpening by both sides, I rode it home on a Tuesday.
On the same week on Thursday I was on my way to Virginia and North Carolina (I live in Indiana).
After 2 days of riding the bike started to have idling issues. Squeez the clutch and engine revs up to 4k and drops to 1200 - at stops it would simply idle rough - I make a long distance call to the dealership and after some hem hawing they recommended using some injector cleaner - by next day the issue disappeared - I made it home without issues.
Month later I am on my way to Columbus Ohio to pick up my new Russel Day Long saddle and by the time I get there the idle issue returns. I picked up some BMW injector cleaner at Motohio in Columbus and asked the technician his opinion - his answer was that he had never heard of the issue - so I make a decision to ride home and get it back to the purchase dealership a s a p.
I am first in line on the next service day - service manager says - let me hear it, start it up - as soon as I started it he said "ok shut it off - we have an issue".
I asked about the air box campaign back when I was negotiating the purchase and the answer was - the vin number has no campaigns pending.
What we have learned is that the air box campaign had NOT, after all been completed on my bike. So how is that possible - well - the dealership contacted the "mother ship" and mom said "looks like we do not have that VIN number in the data bank, nonetheless that bike needs a new air box.
So, my friends, if any of you are experiencing similar issues and you have been assured that the campaign was done - you might request nicely that the dealership contacts mom to make sure you are not in the same "lost VIN sindrome"
Mom decided to replace the air box at no charge and I am patiently waiting for the return of my bike sometime this week after it being at the shop for what looks will be 4 weeks.

I paid out of pocket to replace the airbox on my '05 K1200S. My '06 K1200GT had the airbox done prior to me buying it, (airbox was date stamped '08) and it failed/warped again according to my local dealer in 2012. The "Mother" wanted nothing to do with it. I no longer own a "K" bike.

Old air Box Issue

I have further investigated and found that a lot of air boxes were replaced but the dealer failed to also perform the software update (I think they refer to it as Rev.10)
So "mother's" instructions are to replace the box - then run the bike and check for rev issues - no issues means you are good to go - issues noted you are to upgrade the software - if you do not upgrade the issue will reappear.
Apparently some computers are able to detect the upgrade and adjust - others do not and you must go through the extra step.
This still leaves one option open - if you replace the box, run the test, find no issues, AND you DO perform the upgrade anyway...........???
Electronics - you gotta love it........

Back