• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Seat Position on my 73 R75/5

kjmcd13

The seat sits a bit to the left in the back and I was wondering how to straighten it. It is good in the front and opens and closes smoothly. Can I bend the hinge a bit? Everything seems to be straight in the back except the seat. Was there different seats for this model besides a solo seat?Seat.jpg

Mine has done this too and in my case it's because the rear hinge has actually bent inward, not quite as bad as yours is however. Trying to rebend it may however break it off, so be prepared to weld that thing back on straight if you have to.

Actually, the hinge looks straight as a pin. Anybody else have this problem or have any suggestions? I guess i have no choice but to bend the hinge.

I would be hesitant to just start bending things. There has to be a reason that the seat is off. It has to be either the seat or the subframe. It certainly would be helpful to have another /5 next to yours for comparison. Maybe you could take some pictures from various angles and post them here. Include the seat and the subframe. Then others with a /5 could go look at theirs and/or take their own pictures.

Good idea Kurt.

If the seat hinge is bent, go to the trouble of taking it off of the bike before you try and "correct" the situation. You'll have more leverage to work on it and you won't be stressing the hinge pins on the subframe, or the minimal weld on the hinge itself.

I vote that rear hinge. Make it look exactly like the front hinge and see what happens. Be careful and support the lower part of the hinge so you're not just ripping out the screws. If you can remove the hinge, best to do it that way...in a vise.

I recently replaced both hinges on my seat for my /6 from dealer parts (yes, they are available). I will have a look when I get home and let you know.

Well, maybe not exactly like the front... It doesn't look bent at all to me. How far "off center" is your seat?

Rear
a definite "recurve" visible between the mounting plate and the beginning of the "hook".
52531236351.jpg

Front
52531230314.jpg

edit - you have a very early LWB /5 seat like mine; you can see the joint where to two seat were grafted together. You might want to lay a straight-edge along the cease on the bottom side and see if it is straight.

Last edited:
Good catch, Lew... it's clear the shapes are a little different front and rear. It appears from his first picture, the seat is off about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

What about the right side subframe...does it appear to be bent in the middle some? See my picture with the red circle...go back and look at the original.

Attachments

• SeatFrame.jpg
    SeatFrame.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 54
I caught that bent subframe too. I was at work and couldn't post images.

If it is, it's in the "perfect" spot to effect the seat. I think this is the culprit, not the seat. A subframe isn't too expensive to replace.

New File Manager is kinda cool too! Especially the "in line" feature.

Attachments

• r75 frame.jpg
    r75 frame.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 47
Then again few of these old bikes is perfect....
what's wrong.jpg
What's wrong with this picture of my /5 (the obvious doesn't count)?

The rear wheel seems a bit more to the right side. And for some reason, that I can't think of, the right carb seems to stick out farther...I know the carbs are positioned fore-aft differently with respect to each other, but I wouldn't think inboard-outboard. Could just be camera angle. :dunno

d'oh! hadn't noticed the right-hand carb leaning outboard ... swing arm is centered, but the rear fender is tweaked to the left by about 1cm at the back ... I finally gave up trying to figure out why. I did do a total relamination on the underside with epoxy and glass cloth, it may have taken a bit of a set to one side :dunno

Back