• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS Kills another

Hmmmm, interesting. There was a lot of hype about the Super Tenere, and how it was going to give adventure bikes like the GS, a run for their money. Oh well. IMO, GSes are cool - fantastic all-rounders and then some (I wish I had the money for one).

Last edited:
Wish I had the inseam for one.

Yeah, they are kind of tall aren't they! I imagine that at a stop sign, or stoplight, I'd end up standing on a GS, like I used to stand on my old 80s Honda XL250R - with the bike leaning the bike to one side, with only one foot one the ground, or balancing on tiptoe! :lol

Last edited:
Yes, BMW's GS bike are huge. Almost a parody of a motorcycle.

I recently was talking to a friend who had participated in a dual sport ride/rally- guy's a serious dirt biker. He said there was somebody at the rally on a GS, and everyone was hoping the dude wasn't going to be in the way, or slow anyone else up.
Much to their surprise, GS Guy smoked every section, and left just about everyone in the dust!

Point being, I guess, that in spite of their size, folks do tend to ride them well in serious off road conditions.

Looking around, the vast majority of bigger D/S bikes I see on the roads, are the GS's. there are plenty of smaller D/S bikes around here, but the big ones are almost always GS.

Inseam

I have an 09 GSA and a 32" inseam.Couldn't really flat foot it.New Sargent seat changed the whole bike.

I have 28.5 inch inseam on a good day.

I have not sat on the R1200GS, but I did sit on an F700GS with regular suspension and a low seat. I was in my running shoes and could almost flat foot it. I believe with my mc boots I would be flatfooted on that bike.

I want try out the 1200GS with a low seat and see how that goes. I am itching to add a second bike to the stable. I will be riding a F700GS for two weeks in the Alps next year, so that will give me a good run to try that out. I like the 1200 though, would like nice beside my RT.

Wish I had the inseam for one.

Royce and all,

Try a GS with a lowered seat. Not necessarily a lowered suspension but you can go that option as well. I was pleasantly surprised to find that at 5"5, I definitely can ride a GS. And if I change the suspension to normal or sport, I can also ride my husband's GSA.

Don't let the inseam scare you away!

Royce and all,

Try a GS with a lowered seat. Not necessarily a lowered suspension but you can go that option as well. I was pleasantly surprised to find that at 5"5, I definitely can ride a GS. And if I change the suspension to normal or sport, I can also ride my husband's GSA.

Agreed. I plan on trying one out.

Royce and all,

I have tried them with lowered suspension and lowered seat, and any other configuration that might make them fit me better. While I can tippy-toe a GS at the stop, it feels unsafe to me and I am therefore uncomfortable on it. I always wonder, "what will it feel like on day 5 of the trip when I am tired and not paying as close attention to my foot placement as I should?" Bottom line: one should only ride a bike that "feels" safe and comfortable, and for me, that ain't a GS. I wish it were.

+1

I've owned/ridden a R100GSPD, R1150GSA, R1100GS and an R1200GS and i'm only 5'5" as well. (29" inseam, but I won't ever admit to that :hungover) But then again, i only put one foot down when i stop.

Royce and all,

Perpetuating the Myth

Yes, BMW's GS bike are huge. Almost a parody of a motorcycle.

Point being, I guess, that in spite of their size, folks do tend to ride them well in serious off road conditions.

Looking around, the vast majority of bigger D/S bikes I see on the roads, are the GS's. there are plenty of smaller D/S bikes around here, but the big ones are almost always GS.

A GS is around 516 lbs, IMO more like 500. That Yamaha is a BUNCH more like 575. Triumph Explorer 570. Take a look at an FJR or C14, now there is some beef. My previous bike was a Tiger 1050 and my GS feels lighter than the Tiger and handles WAY better.

So why am I listing street bikes????? I bought my GS to run 2 lane, asphalt twisties. Dual Sport? Hell NO! One sport. Why, because it handles great, don't believe me??? Try and chase one. Yes, absolutely, yes, a lot of guys do dual sport, but check GS owners and I'll bet 90+ % of their riding is on the street and most of that 10% is not Paris to Dakar type stuff. Just sayin.... :brow

I'm a 33" inseam, have the taller Sargent Enduro seat on my F800GS and it sits up taller with less sag on the Ohlins Suspension. I can't flatfoot it and don't care, it really doesn't matter. Having the ground clearance for off road matters more. It just means that sometimes I have to be off the bike to push it back out of a spot. Rarely in riding do I need both feet flat on the ground.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I ride a GS and I love it because it fits me physically and is a fantastic all-purpose street bike. I will take it on dirt or gravel roads, but no serious offroading. No way. Put me on a small displacement5 dirt bike for that stuff, thank you very much. I want no part of wrestling around a 500+ lb bike in mud or sand. :hungover

Tenere wet weight: 578 lbs

Camhead R1200GSA wet weight: 564 lbs

Wethead R1200GS wet weight: 525 lbs.

R100GS wet weight: 468 lbs.

Back