• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

USD $45 per tire to mount?

E

eric2

Not a mis-print, A friend went with 2 K11 wheels and new
tires for them to Lone Star BMW in Austin.

$45 per tire to mount and balance, $90
for both (applies to carry-ins only). He ended up going to a new place called cycle gear at 183/Burnet where they mounted
AND balanced both tires for $29

Anyone heard higher prices?

Eric

Tires

The centeral Pa. dealer I use, or does he use me, wacked me $40.00 apiece last year. Don't think he'll go broke at those prices.

tires

Doesn't look like buying tires online or mail order is such a good deal after all. The dealer I use for tires gives me a very good price and mounts and spin ballances them for the purchase price. It's just not worth the hassel of trying to find someone to mount tires they didn't sell or trying to mount them myself.

I go to a local shop I've dealt with for 30 years. I bought my first bike from his dad when I was a high school kid. He gets the tires for me and mounts 'em. The tires cost me about ~15% more than mail order, but he'll mount them and balance them for just for $10 - $12 each. It's worth it I think. If there's a problem, he'll take care of me. ;)

Re: tires

Jeff said:
Doesn't look like buying tires online or mail order is such a good deal after all. The dealer I use for tires gives me a very good price and mounts and spin ballances them for the purchase price. It's just not worth the hassel of trying to find someone to mount tires they didn't sell or trying to mount them myself.

You must be lucky. The dealers near me mark up the tires 50% (or $100/pair) and still want to charge their normal mounting fees ($20-$40 per tire) on top of that. No incentive to buy from the dealer there.

Most dealers here will not mount a tire you don't buy from them. I mount 50% of my tires at my buddies shop, for no fee. I buy them from him though. He has one of his wrenches do the other 50%. I don't pay for that either.

Re: Re: tires

dizave said:
You must be lucky. The dealers near me mark up the tires 50% (or $100/pair) and still want to charge their normal mounting fees ($20-$40 per tire) on top of that. No incentive to buy from the dealer there.

You need to call the Tire Nazi, Robert Ramseyer at Arizona Motorcycle Tires, dizave.

He'll come to your house and mount tires at mail order prices up there in New England.

Re: Re: Re: tires

KBasa said:
You need to call the Tire Nazi, Robert Ramseyer at Arizona Motorcycle Tires, dizave.

He'll come to your house and mount tires at mail order prices up there in New England.

:rofl Too funny!

It's costing me $20/tire now if I just bring in the wheels, I just have to call ahead. Been looking at the various equipment out there, I probably will start doing this stuff myself soon.

Tire Mounting

I have found a C clamp, 2 big screwdrivers, and a bottle of soapy water is way cheaper than the 67.00 my dealer (bmw tristate) wants to mount my tires. At that price as well as 120.00 more per set that I can get them on the 'net, I feel like my dealer is mounting me and forgot the lubricant. I will add a 12 pack to that and a couple buddies, and have an afternoon tire changing bee, depending on who needs and can afford tires at any given time. We arent talking monster mudders here, a motorcycle tire is not that bad to put on yourself. Just rememeber which direction to but the arrow, and remove the brake rotors to prevent damage, and dont forget the 4 letter word dictionary so that you can have the most colorful speech when things dont go as well as you hoped the first few times.:D

The shop I work out of tries hard to keep customers happy. We'll order the tires you want, if we don't have them in stock, and we usually compare favorably with mail-order. If you bring us the rim, the price on the tire is mounted and balanced. Bring us the bike, and we charge some labor, usually around $40 for both tires. Usually the Beemer people sit in the parking lot and pull the wheels off. The GW's and HD's usually are a bit more for labor, if you've ever done the rear's on them. We'll charge $20 to mount a tire that is purchased elsewhere.

The philosophy is, if the customer won't support the local dealer, they won't be around for long. Yes, the dealer is there to make money, and it does seem as though some take it to extremes. Sometimes we wish that you could see what it's like from the other side of the counter, and having to deal with the attitudes of some of the "customers". We're not out to screw anybody, just provide good service and make a buck in the process. But when you have to deal with people who feel you owe them something just because they walked in.... 'Nuff said.

manic mechanic said:
The philosophy is, if the customer won't support the local dealer, they won't be around for long. Yes, the dealer is there to make money, and it does seem as though some take it to extremes. Sometimes we wish that you could see what it's like from the other side of the counter, and having to deal with the attitudes of some of the "customers". We're not out to screw anybody, just provide good service and make a buck in the process. But when you have to deal with people who feel you owe them something just because they walked in.... 'Nuff said.

:thumb

It just hurts to support the dealer when I can buy both tires, pay for shipping and the 12 pack for less than what they want for the rear tire alone.:burnout

Back